IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Think I will go the IS-F Route....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 03:50 PM
Endgame
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I will go the IS-F Route....

Hey guys....

Need your help. I am thinking about picking up an IS-F, but need some help on what I should ask about. This one appears to have had all the service done. The front brake pads are 10mm and the rear at 7mm. Front tire tread depth is 7/32 with the rear at 9/32. Is this good or ehhh?

Anything else I should be aware of or ask about??
Old 08-24-12, 04:01 PM
LBmtb
Driver

What year? Mileage?

Btw... if you're considering an extended warranty, this is the guy almost everybody goes with:

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 east 30th
Hutchinson, Ks 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
Email jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Old 08-24-12, 04:03 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I wouldn't think that brakes and tires, wear items, should affect your decision on buying a car. If they're going to need immediate replacement (and from what you typed, it doesn't sound like it), then you could use that as a negotiation point or ask them to put newer pads/tires on.

Assuming you have the service history and the carfax and everything looks good there and when you view and test drive the car, I say go for it.
Old 08-24-12, 05:32 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Brake lining and tire depth are things I would not worry about buying a used ISF.

If you do not have a good idea or feel what to look for in a used car, then you need to spend money enlisting the services of certified Lexus mechanic to look over the car with you for your peace of mind.

Makes sense if you are willing to spend tens of thousands to buy a car that you want to make sure is good.
Old 08-24-12, 06:04 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Agree with all of the above. Tires, brakes, and the need for an oil change are all maintenance items you'll have to deal with regardless. So if you can get a good deal or whine a bit about the "worn" tires to bring down the price, go for it. These shouldn't impact your decision to buy that much unless you won't have money left to address them.

When I bought my car it had some paint chips up front and I save a ton of money because of that. You just need to decide what price-point or level of newness you want. But the things you mentioned are all easily remedied.
Old 08-24-12, 07:12 PM
Endgame
Driver

Very good gentlemen; and I thank you for the tips.

I alreadycalled Jerry and had great coversation with him. Maybe I will join your ranks soon. THX again!!
Old 08-25-12, 07:43 AM
Endgame
Driver

So......... What if an F has no maintance records... Should I chance it if I can get a good price?
Old 08-25-12, 07:44 AM
Endgame
Driver

Sorry for the 'timid' questions. I just want to ask the experts on it before I plop down a chunk of change.
Old 08-25-12, 09:15 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It could be that it was serviced by the owner him or herself. Both front and rear have plenty of tread remaining, so I don't think it's too big an issue; but it doesn't hurt if you can somehow get the dealer to throw in some new tires to sweeten the deal. If you have a car technician that you can rely on for an unbiased overview, that's even better. There isn't much I can really think of that would need immediate attention other than the normal wear and tear items listed earlier.
Old 08-25-12, 12:54 PM
GenuineKid
Driver

we still need to know how many miles are on the CAR! some info is needed! if it has 200k miles and no maintenance record I WOULD BE WORRIED. but if its 10k miles then it should be fine.
Old 08-25-12, 01:27 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both brakes and tires are fine. You should register on http://owners.lexus.com and put in the VIN of the car to see which dealers have serviced the car. It would be suspect if there are no service records.
Old 08-25-12, 02:59 PM
Endgame
Driver

Originally Posted by GenuineKid
we still need to know how many miles are on the CAR! some info is needed! if it has 200k miles and no maintenance record I WOULD BE WORRIED. but if its 10k miles then it should be fine.
SORRY! I am looking at a few cars now. But how about this:

* 09 with about 33k miles. Seems a chunk of records are missing from about 13k to current.

If I had a Lexus tech look it over, how much would that cost roughly...?
Old 08-25-12, 03:01 PM
Endgame
Driver

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Both brakes and tires are fine. You should register on http://owners.lexus.com and put in the VIN of the car to see which dealers have serviced the car. It would be suspect if there are no service records.
Good thought. It seems on some of these that I was able to get records on, there are few maintenance updates.
Old 08-26-12, 06:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

There are no Lexus or independent maintenance records on my car, and it's in fine condition. But I'm not selling.
Old 08-27-12, 09:33 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Endgame
SORRY! I am looking at a few cars now. But how about this:

* 09 with about 33k miles. Seems a chunk of records are missing from about 13k to current.

If I had a Lexus tech look it over, how much would that cost roughly...?
endgame,

i paid the lexus dealer 130 after taxes and everything to inspect my car before buying

Quick Reply: Think I will go the IS-F Route....