IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

K-Sport coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 03:34 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Nope...I just don't think any of the mods are worth doing. The car handles better than I know what to do with. Has more than enough power to get me in trouble. Not gonna change out good looking 19 inch wheels for another set of 19 inch wheels.

All that carbon stuff you guys are putting on doesn't do anything. Rear diffuser doesn't do anything. Bunch of mods that cost thousands that....don't do anything...lol.

I'll keep mine stock and save my money for my GT3 RS
I think the OP was just asking opinions if anybody had heard of the K-sports. BC coilovers seem to be the way to go, I've noticed other owners liking those.

But I do agree with this statement, excessive modding is a passion that I left behind after college... just seeing ISF's go into limp mode, people's o2 sensors burning out, exhaust too loud, CELs getting triggered due to headers... makes me think modding is a headache. That's just my mentality. 416hp is more than enough to get anyone into trouble on a highway or local street. A front lip that will inevitably get damaged in the long run, is a waste of money IMO, and so are rear diffusers, side skirts... just costs thousands of dollars for just looks...just my opinion. I just can't justify spending that much on those non-functional parts that will make me more paranoid. I think the ISF is absolutely gorgeous just the way it is, and I wouldn't want it any other way. That's my opinion. To each their own, everyone is entitled to their own.
Old 08-28-12, 06:41 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The K-sport look pretty solid, but BC racing is a proven product that I absolutely loved on my IS300. Just keep in mind that at the limits (height and damping adjustment), nothing comes close to stock for daily driving.

I went with KWs on the F just to try different things out, and to be honest, for daily driving I don't think they're worth the investment. If I had to do it again I Would get the BCR coilovers and pocketed the extra $1,000. If you're going to track your car, then you might want to reconsider.
Old 08-28-12, 07:21 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Of course there is better out there for coils, all depends on your budget. BC are well liked in 2IS world.

I wanted to chime in on these three links though... they are from 2006, 2007 and 2011. The company is relatively new, and there is sadly a learning curve (for them at least) and they do have a good handful of poor quality from mid-late 2000's. I would negate the stories from 2006 and 2007 as their build quality has changed since then, as i understand.

The story from 2011 has been having problems since 2008. His coils keep rusting. Says he is from the Netherlands and i would guess he drives in a lot of cold, icy environments with SALT on the road, because those pictures are incredibly rusted. That would happen to any suspension that doesnt have heavy corrosion resistant coating of some sort. So i wouldnt let his story deter you.

Am i defending them because I just got Ksport bags? Not really, i looked into all the horror stories beforehand as well, and it seemed like a lot of haters because Lexus owners can be very biased towards brands, and then there are documented shock failures from years ago, but i have never found anything more recent than 2009ish. A company doesnt get a good reputation without people testing the water, so I took the plunge myself.

Good luck on your choice.

Last edited by heyarms; 08-28-12 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 11:54 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
That statement doesn't really make sense. If your reasoning to save the mod money is that the F has suspension that is beyond your driving skill level and more power then you need to get in trouble then why would you go buy a more expensive, better handeling and faster GT3 RS?
Why not downgrade to something more suitable and save your money for something other then a car beyond your limitations?
If it is for the look and feel of driving a porsche then I think you may have answered the question as to why some of use have things like CF styling parts on our cars.
To each his own and all the power to you for saving up for a GT3 RS, I'm sure you have a good personal justification for wanting the car. Everyone has there own justification for the mods they do and how they spend there money on cars
Of course it makes sense. How many people on this forum can attest that they are capable of handling the IS F at it's limits? A hand full of us...one of them certainly not being me. Does any of us need 416hp? OK...I should just say I don't need 416hp, but its nice that it's there. GT3 RS is the same thing...it's a track car for the street. I'm not gonna go hooning around in it, but if I need to...I know the car is very capable. Not saying the IS F isn't.

Some people mod this and that and they have their opinions that it has made it better, but a company like Lexus spends so many millions of dollars on R&D, I feel like I rather just have a NICE/FAST looking STOCK CAR. And if you don't want a stock car and need a suspension downgrade, i mean, upgrade like K Sports, then ......... LOL

And that's the reason behind the GT3 RS...it's bad *** out of the box...no need for all this stuff.

My whole point of my original post was that if you're gonna mod your car...do it right. K sports are CCC (Cheap Chinese Coilovers). You wanna put junk on your $60,000 car...do it.

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I just can't justify spending that much on those non-functional parts that will make me more paranoid. I think the ISF is absolutely gorgeous just the way it is, and I wouldn't want it any other way. That's my opinion. To each their own, everyone is entitled to their own.
YEP! Non-functional parts. With some of the fitment things i'm hearing from people, also with the need to run double gaskets and stuff on the headers....ugh. If that kinda stuff is happening, I want to see how long the welds on those things are gonna last before the thing starts cracking. I forgot where the post is, i have to go look for it...but I made a comment their rear diffuser and they told me I should get one because it will make my car handle better...LOL. A $1000 piece of fiberglass/carbon that's never been wind tunnel tested is going to make my car handle better................RIGHT..........
Old 08-29-12, 04:40 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ This post has far left where i was trying to go with it. A simple has anyone tried these before was about what i was getting at.
Old 08-29-12, 07:06 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Darbs242 this thread has taken a detour... but I think the consensus is that K-sports are cheap in quality and should not be used. I have never heard of any ISF owners using them.

Again I'm not a fan of modding, but BCR coilovers seem to be a good budget coilover from what I've heard from other ISF owners. Tein coils and KWV3's are the other popular options which will cost a bit more.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 08-29-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-29-12, 07:47 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Sorry to the OP for continuing to stray the thread, but reading what Vtothe and Just F Me posted does have a ring of truth to it. I have never once owned a car that I didn't change something. Even though we all know those aero parts don't really add anything performance wise, and aftermarket wheels are really more for looks than performance, it is still nice to personalize your car a little bit. Having said that, reading some of the nightmares about stripped O2 sensors, CELs, limp modes and worrying about warranty issues makes me think that some of the performance mods just aren't worth it. I heavily modded my last car (aftermarket turbo system and all supporting parts) and never felt entirely comfortable with the reliability. I had a OBDII scanner in my car at all times in case I got a weird CEL. I was happy to leave that behind and get into the IS-F, and now I'm thinking I'm going to leave all performance related parts stock.

To the OP (back on topic), you don't want to downgrade your stock suspension setup. You'd probably be better off just getting some lowering springs (Eibachs or Swift springs) if you're doing it for the looks. If you need a more adjustable suspension for track purposes or ride quality, go with something tried and true that has plenty of reviews out there and people that can vouch for the quality. The K-Sports would not be those.
Old 08-29-12, 10:06 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

If you search and focus on poor reviews, thats what you'll get. There are reviews bashing BC for having blown shocks just as KSport and any other brand where an individual has blown one:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f110...lovers-476809/
http://straightpipe.ca/forums/archiv...hp?t-1216.html

Just like you can find praise on the KSports:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...er-review.html
http://forums.evolutionm.net/vendor-...rs-review.html
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44033

It's asinine to believe that all KSport coils are garbage because a few reviews online. Most people dont post reviews of products they buy, but the second one fails, they will cover the internet with pictures and stories. They arent widely used because so many car guys and groups are brand wh0res. If they arent XXXXX brand, people will tell you not to get them, simple as that. Remember there can be misuse/improper installation that causes failure as well.

You can find a bad review on just about anything, including your IS-F.
Old 08-29-12, 11:26 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

I think the OP wanted to know if any ISF owners had used K-sports on their cars.
Old 08-29-12, 11:57 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I think the OP wanted to know if any ISF owners had used K-sports on their cars.
Yea pretty much. I doubt he wanted to read over and over why people want to keep their car stock lol. Especially more than one post saying the exact same thing again and again.
Old 08-29-12, 03:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,043 Likes on 2,449 Posts

I think the original question is answered. The rest of what I'm reading here isn't related to the thread at all. I'm calling it a day now.