IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 09:10 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ The E30 would be a great project car. I'm also looking for a project car.
Old 09-15-12, 09:33 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I already have a BMW E30...it's just not a E30 M3. It's a great commuter car. Light, 5 speed manual, 50/50 weight distribution...I just need some bilsteins and H&R race springs and it'll be even more fun to drive around.
Old 09-15-12, 10:08 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Sounds like a good car to me. Maybe you can put a V10 in there and you should be set.
Old 09-15-12, 11:38 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
Sounds like a good car to me. Maybe you can put a V10 in there and you should be set.
Why put a V10 when you can put something boosted? jk....V10 E30s are insane...i think it takes too much fab work to do. Not a direct swap

Old 09-15-12, 03:50 PM
bradhop15
Driver

Originally Posted by zazzn
Well, this has me a little scared. My car has 76k and I was planning a lapping session in OCT. I know if you shift alot at WOT you will put a lot of stress on the clutch packs introducing lots of material into the ATF. I has this problem with my Aristo when I would WOT 1/2 all the time and eventually blew that trans. However, that transmission costs me 100$ to replace and a weekend. They are a dime a dozen because I had swapped my mk3 to an aristo engine and had a spare. Also most people that do 2jz swaps just junk the trans.

Anyways, I hear a sequel on hard shifts from first to 2nd on my IS-F if I shift at WOT. It's nothing really alarming but I've always noticed it and wondered if anyone else has that noise when changing 1-2 at WOT in manual mode (sports or normal).

I've just ordered a kit form Blackstone to do an analysis.

I know my first Aristo transmission wasn't working due to the fact the filter was clogged with clutch pack material and the fluid smelt burnt to hell. What ended up happening was I wasn't getting enough line pressure due to the clogged filter. After doing a fluid flush and cleaning out the filter, we slapped it back together for a test drive and 20 KM later it clogged up again and the car wouldn't go anywhere.

I think the more important thing of the service of a automatic trans would be changing the filter, and fluid.

I'm in a battle with Lexus over my water pump right now since I'm suffering from the problem that every 08-09 had where the pump leaks.

They say they will cover the parts but that's all, and I just ticked over 76000 miles so I'm pretty pissed because I was complaining of a heat problem since I bought the car last year with 58000 miles on it and they said that it's just a ****ty climate control system and I should use full hot... (which didn't work anyways) Turns out the car was just low on coolant and never got coolant to the heater core.
i know some people are talking about tire cherp, but that noise you might be hearing could be your belt squeeking. its also a common thing.
Old 09-17-12, 03:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,974 Likes on 2,404 Posts
Default The Buck Stops Here

Results from Blackstone today. The ATF in my gearbox with a fair number of track weekends is in fine shape. Not burned, not too thin, wear number fall inside or below Aisin averages (although they admit this is their first AA80E sample).

So all you guys changing your fluid are wasting your time and money for a "feels good" solution to a non-existent problem. Same as all those cats who tell me they change their oil at 3k or 5k. Waste of money, increased opportunity for contamination in the system, and throwing away perfectly good lubricants. Read the results below.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse-ws-atf-results.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Davka (01-23-21)
Old 09-17-12, 03:48 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Very good to know , thanks
Old 09-18-12, 01:10 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Results from Blackstone today. The ATF in my gearbox with a fair number of track weekends is in fine shape. Not burned, not too thin, wear number fall inside or below Aisin averages (although they admit this is their first AA80E sample).

So all you guys changing your fluid are wasting your time and money for a "feels good" solution to a non-existent problem. Same as all those cats who tell me they change their oil at 3k or 5k. Waste of money, increased opportunity for contamination in the system, and throwing away perfectly good lubricants. Read the results below.
This is a perfect opportunity to SEND a sample of Tommy's (JustFme) ATF fluid to see how it compares to yours...

Of course it would be even better if nothing was mentioned about the Trany issues...

~ Joe Z
Old 09-18-12, 06:42 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
This is a perfect opportunity to SEND a sample of Tommy's (JustFme) ATF fluid to see how it compares to yours...

Of course it would be even better if nothing was mentioned about the Trany issues...

~ Joe Z
Thanks for the info Lance I actually got my blackstone kit today!

How hard is it to drain a bit of oil from the tranny? I want to send mine in and lets see what happens.

Tell me everything I need to know! =D
Old 09-18-12, 09:33 PM
DonTN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is going to be interesting
Old 09-19-12, 02:52 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bradhop15
i know some people are talking about tire cherp, but that noise you might be hearing could be your belt squeeking. its also a common thing.
Hrm, you mean the serpentine belt? I know it's mainly first to 2nd gear when I shift
Old 09-19-12, 06:02 AM
bradhop15
Driver

Originally Posted by zazzn
Hrm, you mean the serpentine belt? I know it's mainly first to 2nd gear when I shift
yep thats it
Old 09-19-12, 08:26 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Thanks for the info Lance I actually got my blackstone kit today!

How hard is it to drain a bit of oil from the tranny? I want to send mine in and lets see what happens.

Tell me everything I need to know! =D
There is a small plug on the pan... Once you remove the plastic trans cover..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-19-12, 09:32 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

OK...I'll do it this weekend and send in the sample on Monday.
Old 09-19-12, 02:25 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Interesting...so a remanufactured transmission showed up...but it got shipped to Lexus Sacramento in northern California instead....GREAT........

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse