Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 08:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ion-issue.html

So I found this earlier... I'm going to call Lexus again tomorrow and talk to someone else. I talked to my sales person at Lexus Sacramento that's working with me to get me into a new 2013 GS350 F-Sport and He talked to the service techs on my behalf because I've been busy with meetings for the past few days.

They said that there was very little fluid inside the transmission and what was in it was extremely black and dirty and it over heated and THIS IS WHAT THEY THINK is the cause of failure as they haven't taken anything apart. But the thing is that I heard (don't know where I heard it), that the tranny doesn't need trans oil for 100k miles....so that's what I did...yeah I drove it hard and had fun with it because it's a performance car, and that's why I paid $60k for it, but if it says you don't have to do this for 100k...I never read anything that said...if you drive the car like a high performance car, you better do it at 25k...
There is nothing in the recommended service for the transmission except a leak check at 30k miles and every 30k after. If it leaked you didn't notice this when you did your own service, you're liable. If there is no leak and the fluid went bad on a LIFETIME filled transmission, then Lexus is to blame. There is no reason to expect you will ever need to service the transmission according to the recommended service guide.

These folks claiming there's some service at 100k have not looked at the guide for the IS F.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IS-F Maintenance Guide.pdf (1.55 MB, 444 views)
Old 09-07-12, 09:02 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
They are probably right.

When you were describing your original issue it sounded like you were low on trans fluid.

I bet that the trans had a ATF leak somewhere along the line (cooler lines, cooler, etc) and over time became lower and lower. Black/dark fluid usually means the fluid is toast due to overheating (and possible contamination of clutch pack material). If this car had a dipstick for the trans fluid, you would have been able to check it and see/smell the fluid.

Guys with big powered V8 auto trans cars with modified stall torque converter usually put in aftermarket in line coolers to keep the temps down. Heat is the main enemy of automatic transmissions.

Have you spoken with the Service Manager yet? Just remember be aggressive but polite.
I haven't been under the car since the last time i changed the oil...which was maybe....2 months ago? maybe 3 months? And the thing is i didn't saw anything out of the ordinary. When i change the oil, its usually in the morning so the engine is cold and i just lay on my back waiting for it to drain since it doesn't take that long. And i look around making sure nothing is out of the norm. I haven't seen any drips of oil on the car. For most of the week, the car sits in my garage so if it were to develop a leak...i hope i would see a drip on the car of some sorts.

Thanks for the info MisterSkiz...obviously I know nothing about automatic transmissions...I just know right now i don't like them...lol. My 5-speed manual tranny in my e30 3-series BMW is original @ 200k miles and still going and shifting perfectly fine. It would probably be even better if i changed some of the shifter bushings and linkages and what not.

Anyhow...new update for today.

Just got off the phone with Lexus and got to someone that's going to look into it. I should hear something today hopefully.....
Old 09-07-12, 09:11 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Just F Me

Anyhow...new update for today.

Just got off the phone with Lexus and got to someone that's going to look into it. I should hear something today hopefully.....

Well at least it's good to see your "trying"... Giving up or giving in is NEVER an option for me..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-07-12, 09:44 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is nothing in the recommended service for the transmission except a leak check at 30k miles and every 30k after. If it leaked you didn't notice this when you did your own service, you're liable. If there is no leak and the fluid went bad on a LIFETIME filled transmission, then Lexus is to blame. There is no reason to expect you will ever need to service the transmission according to the recommended service guide.

These folks claiming there's some service at 100k have not looked at the guide for the IS F.
Thanks for this Lance. I hope this ends up in my favor because I do recall hearing that it uses "Super Long Life" transmission fluid and it shouldn't have to be serviced for 100k miles. I guess the thing now...has the car been leaking and I didn't know? I guess we'll find out. I'm heading to the dealership in the next couple hours....

They've also put this as a "priority" and they said i should hear back from someone today.
Old 09-07-12, 10:45 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Well, I'll say it spooked me enough to pull the undercover off my gearbox and inspect for any signs of leakage. I also pulled an ATF sample and I sent it to Blackstone today for analysis.
Old 09-07-12, 11:12 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Well, I'll say it spooked me enough to pull the undercover off my gearbox and inspect for any signs of leakage. I also pulled an ATF sample and I sent it to Blackstone today for analysis.
Another reason why I purchased the 120K mile extended warranty, to cover me well after the 6yr / 70k mile factory powertrain warranty.

Also, I guess you know why I drained & refilled mine at 50K back in Dec. 11'..

There is no good reason why this ATF WS tranny fluid shouldn't be changed more often, in my honest opinion..

(I have the same opinion for the 08'-09' Diff Fluid)

~ Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse-is-f-ws-trans-fluid.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-07-12 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-07-12, 11:28 AM
ISFRSA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just F ME it makes no sense why your ATF is so low....

any way good luck, i hope, its just needs a bit of top up and off you go .....

Right people, how do i check if i have ATF in my box? ( a dipstick some where perhaps?)

someone talk to me.....
Old 09-07-12, 12:14 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Another reason why I purchased the 120K mile extended warranty, to cover me well after the 6yr / 70k mile factory powertrain warranty.

There is no good reason why this ATF WS tranny fluid shouldn't be changed more often, in my honest opinion..

~ Joe Z
Yeah, but that was only what was in the pan and trans right? You didn't pump out what is in the torque converter did you?

If I was on a desert island and had to change the ATF fluid, I would just disconnect the cooler lines, have two buckets one with the exact amount of ATF fluid in it and the other with nothing in it and let the car idle and move the gear selector around to different gears.
Old 09-07-12, 12:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Yeah, but that was only what was in the pan and trans right? You didn't pump out what is in the torque converter did you?

If I was on a desert island and had to change the ATF fluid, I would just disconnect the cooler lines, have two buckets one with the exact amount of ATF fluid in it and the other with nothing in it and let the car idle and move the gear selector around to different gears.
Yes correct.. It's a partial refesh.. I'm doing it again next week..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-07-12, 12:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

~ Joe Z
I hope you changed a lot more than what is in the picture. 4 quarts isn't even a half change. And yes, if I were going to do a change I would disconnect the cooler lines and put fresh in one side while the old came out the other. IIRC, there is more than 11 quarts in this unit from a dry fill.
Old 09-07-12, 12:49 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

I hope you changed a lot more than what is in the picture. 4 quarts isn't even a half change. And yes, if I were going to do a change I would disconnect the cooler lines and put fresh in one side while the old came out the other. IIRC, there is more than 11 quarts in this unit from a dry fill.

Acknowledged.. It was a partial refresh of the fluid... (sort of a test if you know what I mean.. )

I was chasing a shift flare..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-07-12, 02:39 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Acknowledged.. It was a partial refresh of the fluid... (sort of a test if you know what I mean.. )

I was chasing a shift flare..

~ Joe Z
Did the fluid change fix your shift flare?

If I remember on some newer cars line pressures have the MAF sensor output as part of the algorithm (as to see how much air is coming in...IE Wide Open Throttle)
Old 09-07-12, 08:26 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

SO....Lexus HQ called me today, but they have no answer for me until Monday....I'm gonna limp the car home. It seems perfectly fine driving on the freeway earlier for 40 miles in 8th gear...reverse is completely gone now and the car is on my sister's driveway, we're going to have to tow it out and I'm going to have to be very careful driving it home.....

Wish me luck. If Lexus does decide they're going to fix the transmission, I'm going to have it fixed and then sell the car. I hope they fix it........
Old 09-08-12, 09:01 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Forget a harsh reverse...it's completely gone. Had to get towed out of my sisters drive way. Oh man...I really gotta think about where I'm driving now when I drive her home....
Old 09-08-12, 09:46 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

So if this is what is said inside the Scheduled Maintenace Log...I wonder how many more failed Transmissions Lexus is going to have after me. I could possibly be one of the highest mileage IS Fs out there as it has 87,500 miles roughly.

How am I suppose to know to replace the tranny oil when the Lexus manual says it's "not required"

Question for you guys that take your car to the dealership...if you're at 87k miles, and the service advisor says..."would you like to replace your transmission fluid...it's rated for 100k miles"...what would you say to them? I would assume most of us would probably say no and wait....

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse