IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 04:46 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBatman
Just as I suspected. Lexus is trying to cover their butts. By making this a "lifetime" item, any alteration of it will void the warranty and by the time the damage is done ie. not changing the trans fluid when it needs to be routinely changed, it will be outside the warranty period for the owner to make a claim. This shields Lexus from any accidental damage done by their techs during routine trans service. This is outrageous.
If it can be easily discovered that Lexus is doing this knowingly maybe owners with this problem can file a class action lawsuit.
Old 09-10-12, 04:55 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
If it can be easily discovered that Lexus is doing this knowingly maybe owners with this problem can file a class action lawsuit.
If enough IS-F owners are having this problem that can satisfy the "commonality" and "typicality" requirements of a class action lawsuit, then sure. What we're all trying to figure out is whether or not what has happened is just one or two isolated incidents or if it is a systemic problem. I would imagine this board has the largest collection of IS-F owners "gathering" in one place, and so far there haven't been many cases where this has happened. We're all hoping Just F Me fights the fight, not only for his own sake, but to document a case against Lexus for the rest of us just in case this becomes a thing.
Old 09-10-12, 05:16 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Lexus is ridiculously reliable. So even though not changing the trans fluid is shooting yourself in the foot, it will go for miles and miles before the trans gives out which is inevitable. I'm now convinced that this is a cost cutting measure. Corporate probably looked at the numbers and saw the premature fail rate of the trans was outside 100K miles and compared that with the warranty work for trans prior to that point then looked at the service intervals and concluded they are better off eliminating trans fluid changes which ensures the trans will operate fine within the warranty coverage period. Slap on the "lifetime" designation and now when Lexus does recommend to change the trans fluid at 100K, if the tech messes it up its on the customer b/c it falls outside the warranty period. On a corporate level its a very smart move. Hard to make an argument that a trans prematurely fails when the incidence of failure is well outside the warranty period. Definitely can't see a company like Ford pulling this off.
Old 09-10-12, 06:04 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan on putting over 150k on this car so I'm interested to see where this goes - I already started changing my driving style after this thread started - easier shifting, more auto trans
Old 09-10-12, 08:48 PM
lilcop17
Driver

So should we replace the trans fluid if we're 80k+ plus aka me?
Old 09-10-12, 09:19 PM
bradhop15
Driver

Originally Posted by lilcop17
So should we replace the trans fluid if we're 80k+ plus aka me?
Maybe just do a drain and refill every other oil change. That way you gradually change out all the fluid since you will only take out a few quarts by doing a drain and refill. Cheaper and easy to do yourself that way. I think I might do that this weekend.
Old 09-10-12, 09:34 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We should set up a meet day in Southern California to drain and refill all of our transmission fluids
The following users liked this post:
NICKLASISF (09-26-21)
Old 09-10-12, 09:48 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Originally Posted by bradhop15
Maybe just do a drain and refill every other oil change. That way you gradually change out all the fluid since you will only take out a few quarts by doing a drain and refill. Cheaper and easy to do yourself that way. I think I might do that this weekend.
Sound advice. I'd never do a flush and on a high mileage car that has never had the fluid changed, a flush is out of the question. But, introducing new fluid is tricky as well. From what I understand, the trans components are delicate and if the fluid has never been changed and the mileage is high introducing new fluid can cause it to slip b/c the old fluid has become gritty and grinded down the trans components. Introducing new slick fluid would cause slippage. I think the best thing to do is check the quality and condition of the fluid first. If its cherry red and smells fine, drain and fill. If its toast, then you are much better off leaving it alone especially if you're not experiencing problems.
Old 09-10-12, 09:52 PM
bradhop15
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFpat
We should set up a meet day in Southern California to drain and refill all of our transmission fluids
lets do it!
Old 09-10-12, 10:13 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have a big garage we can all use? It'd be fun to have a bunch of IS-F's helping each other out and have a mini meet.
Old 09-10-12, 11:11 PM
bradhop15
Driver

Yea I only have a 1 car garage with drive up ramps, so that could be a little challenging but ill offer it up until someone offers something better.
Old 09-10-12, 11:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,973 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBatman
Sound advice. I'd never do a flush and on a high mileage car that has never had the fluid changed, a flush is out of the question. But, introducing new fluid is tricky as well. From what I understand, the trans components are delicate and if the fluid has never been changed and the mileage is high introducing new fluid can cause it to slip b/c the old fluid has become gritty and grinded down the trans components. Introducing new slick fluid would cause slippage. I think the best thing to do is check the quality and condition of the fluid first. If its cherry red and smells fine, drain and fill. If its toast, then you are much better off leaving it alone especially if you're not experiencing problems.
Sound advice based on what? Automatic transmissions of the last 70 years? So they haven't learned a thing since the HYDRA-MATIC?

I agree, without analyzing the ATF in a working unit, you know nothing. You definitely don't know if changing it will make anything better without knowing what's in there right now.
Old 09-10-12, 11:39 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

TA DAH!

So many of you may be wondering WTF is going on today? Did I buy a 2013 GS F Sport? Did Lexus say tell me to pound sand too bad you're out of warranty, or did they make me a deal?

Long story short, I almost got the GS F Sport, but there was some clarification in my credit that the dealer wanted to take care of that was taking longer than expected. This bought me more time to think things over and I decided I should get the car home so I can think clearly...and that's exactly what I did, I rolled the dice and drove her home. AAA wouldn't be able to upgrade my membership to unlimited mileage tow for 7 business days, and I'm too cheap to pay for a transport and then fly home...so I spent quality time with my car and drove her home....

Filled her up with gas in Sacramento, and drove her home...made one stop to top her off, but I averaged about 27mpg, cruise control 75mph, 8th gear... Going through the grapevine, I put the car in manual so that it wouldn't be shifting gears all over the place. She downshifted to 6th gear as I climbed the grapevine...as I got through and started to go into the San Fernando Valley, i noticed that she wasn't going into 8th gear anymore even though I would tell it to. I put it in D, and still no 8th, it hung at 7th...and it hung at 7th till I got home so it looks like 8th gear (the solenoid probably) went out and it's done.

Lexus called and offered me that they would cover half the cost of a remanufactured transmission, which is roughly $2000, and that I would be responsible for the other half, and also the labor of installation, which is another $2000. So $4000 and I get a "new" remanufactured transmission installed by the dealer.

From the service manual that I have, I believe you have to remove the entire engine to remove the transmission.

They admit no fault...no mention of the guidelines and what is written inside the owners manual under the scheduled maintenance log...nothing. I read it to the Lexus HQ guy a number of times...nothing. He said something along the lines of once you're outside of the 70,000 mile / 6 year power train warranty, they're not obligated to do anything for you. "We, however, review all calls on a case by case basis"

They're doing this for me as good will, even though I've never done any type of maintenance service at Lexus.

They say not to replace the transmission fluid EVER, but is that the cause of the transmission going out? HMM...maybe I should send my oil into Blackstone Labs like Lobuxracer or whatever?

So....looks like I'm going to dish out the money and fix it, then I'm still debating if I should sell the car or not. Not sure how I feel about this....

Last edited by Just F Me; 09-10-12 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 11:42 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sound advice based on what? Automatic transmissions of the last 70 years? So they haven't learned a thing since the HYDRA-MATIC?
What about the Hydralisks and the Zerglings?
Old 09-10-12, 11:52 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Exactly what i thought before u paid half and lexus paid other half , cool

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse