Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 11:55 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Exactly what i thought before u paid half and lexus paid other half , cool
I actually haven't paid anything...

and it's not half and half...it's 25% them and 75% me...

They pay for half the price of a remanufactured tranny, and that's it. I have to pay for the other half of the tranny plus the FULL amount of the installation of the tranny.

12-15 hours of service to replace the tranny. I need to see if they're going to give me a loaner car too...

I'd be interested to see how many of current original owners of IS Fs start getting notices in the mail to replace your tranny fluid if they do have something going on.
Old 09-11-12, 04:23 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Roffles
Not like you describe, but when I'm shifting from park into reverse to pull out, (when the car is cold) I will hear a rather harsh THUNK as the transmission gets into R gear. This happens just about every other time regardless of ambient temperature.

My previous theory was that because my parking brake is not doing its job (it needs to be adjusted!) and the car was rolling forwards/backwards a bit after parking, it was causing the tranny to lock up. Does anyone else get a loud thunk when putting it into R from a cold start?

Also, after spirited driving on the way to work (not too spirited -- no more than a few 3-4th gear pulls on the freeway and maybe a few 2nd gear pulls on the frontage roads) it will have a burnt transmission smell after I park it. I've only had the car for ~2,000 miles (got it used with 16,500 miles) and it's been doing it since day one. Lately I have been keeping the revs below 5,000rpm out of worry and thinking maybe I should report the smell to the dealer on my next service visit because it could be a leak. Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/experiences here?

This is an interesting thread, but I guess it's also making me a bit paranoid.
I am NOT a motor or transmission expert, but from designing, running testing, and having a few cars.. I will always allow my car to warm up to atleast 60 percent of the fluid and compnenet operating temperature s that the fluids and mechanical components can be closer to tolerance and not over pressure the tranny driving cold etc. I HAVE NEVER felt any clunking, and I have always been easy on my car until reaches temp...Unless its under 60 degrees outside I dont wait as long to warm up bc even driving takes a bit of time to warm up..But here in Texas especially during summer I can reach two bars in about five min when ambient exceeds 90. So interesting finds we ahve here...This is what Ilove about forums, and collecting data...Great input men.
Old 09-11-12, 04:53 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Congrats on getting them to do something, and to getting your car home! A $4000 repair bill for you is much better than the $12K or whatever it was when this whole ordeal first started. If you fix it for $4K and then sell it for upwards of $25K (which should not be a problem) you have recovered more than you would have if you traded it in on a GS-Fsport.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out with Lexus and whether they will now recommend that ATF fluid gets changed at some point.
Old 09-11-12, 05:47 AM
TheBatman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear you got some positive news. I wouldn't hold my breath about Lexus sending out notices to folks about this.
Old 09-11-12, 07:49 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is still ridiculous if you ask me. 80k miles on a $60,000 + car and the transmission goes out and they are willing to cover HALF the cost of a rebuilt transmission and not help out at all with the labor?! This seriously makes me wonder about the longevity of the IS-F. I was planning on keeping her till at least 100k but looks like I might rethink that now.
Old 09-11-12, 08:05 AM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I read your latest update and it's good to hear that somehow someway Lexus will cover some of the cost.

Also, I know it's all about the warranty. But to me this sounds like a defect on the craftsmanship.
I noted that based your previous post and this maintenance regarding maintenance speaks volumes.

Originally Posted by Just F Me

So if this is what is said inside the Scheduled Maintenace Log...I wonder how many more failed Transmissions Lexus is going to have after me. I could possibly be one of the highest mileage IS Fs out there as it has 87,500 miles roughly.

How am I suppose to know to replace the tranny oil when the Lexus manual says it's "not required"

Question for you guys that take your car to the dealership...if you're at 87k miles, and the service advisor says..."would you like to replace your transmission fluid...it's rated for 100k miles"...what would you say to them? I would assume most of us would probably say no and wait....
Old 09-11-12, 08:08 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RCM83
This seriously makes me wonder about the longevity of the IS-F. I was planning on keeping her till at least 100k but looks like I might rethink that now.
This is only one documented case....so I'm not concerned. Given that the F has many electronic components, there is more room for failure, but then again that's with any new car with new technology. So it would be wise to get an extended warranty before factory warranty expires.
Old 09-11-12, 08:11 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RCM83
This is still ridiculous if you ask me. 80k miles on a $60,000 + car and the transmission goes out and they are willing to cover HALF the cost of a rebuilt transmission and not help out at all with the labor?! This seriously makes me wonder about the longevity of the IS-F. I was planning on keeping her till at least 100k but looks like I might rethink that now.
I'm under warranty until July 2017 or 75K miles, whichever comes first. I just crossed 16K miles this morning. I figure by the time either of those milestones gets close, there will be a lot of data about the longevity of the IS-F, and specifically the transmission out there and I can make an informed decision on whether it makes sense to keep on trucking or get something else. My plan is to stay with something Lexus.
Old 09-11-12, 08:29 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

I think someone's not admitting fault and that the trans oil is to blame. If i had changed the oil regularly, even though they say not to, I'd probably be in a better position than I am today.
Old 09-11-12, 09:16 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

good to hear they are paying for something but like someone else said, at 80k miles, this should not have happened. i'm still on the fence about whether to change out the fluid now. i'm at 30k miles, maybe at 60k???
Old 09-11-12, 09:29 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cremaster
good to hear they are paying for something but like someone else said, at 80k miles, this should not have happened. i'm still on the fence about whether to change out the fluid now. i'm at 30k miles, maybe at 60k???
depends on your driving style. If you've never done it, i'd spend the $100-200 and have them do it and perhaps you can do like what Lobuxracer is doing and send in a sample of your fluid to Blackstone Labs and have them test it?

I think that's what he did...LOL.

If it were me and I know what I know today, I'd do it every 25k since I drive the car pretty hard. Obviously a problem in Lexus's owner's manual is costing me $4000. It's nice they decided to help, but if you really think about it, if they truly felt "we're not obligated to help you outside of 70,000 miles", then they wouldn't have done anything.

I think Lexus knows they're in the wrong, but paying for a full repair would be fully admitting that they're wrong. This is more of just, "we take care of our customers as best as we can".

Everyone....BETTER GET YOUR FLUIDS REPLACED! I know Lobuxracer will chime in on this. Yes, sometimes you don't need to follow old conventions such as replacing your engine oil ever 3000 miles.

Last edited by Just F Me; 09-11-12 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-11-12, 09:37 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

BTW...maybe all of you that have twitter and facebook accounts can start posting on the Lexus websites/forums where Lexus maybe directly involved and ask the question. I'm not a user of any that social media stuff so I think I wouldn't have any credibility posting something.
Old 09-11-12, 10:20 AM
spddemon
Pole Position

I guess I will be buying a platinum warranty in the near future! I was going to gamble by skipping on it, but I feel this has sealed the deal. When I read thru the manual and it said life time fluid on trans I was sceptical.
Old 09-11-12, 10:25 AM
TheBatman
Driver

The insidious part of this is that dealers are saying that changing the fluid before the designated time will void the trans warranty. That's where red flags, alarm bells, etc. should be going off. To me this represent a willful omission of the trans fluid replacement in the service schedule for purposes of cutting warranty related costs.

Driving hard is not the same as abuse. I do think the OP's situation is an anomaly as there are many people who drive their IS-Fs hard with no issues. But it makes me wonder about Lexus's motivation behind all of this.
Old 09-11-12, 11:13 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Driving hard is one thing. I PERSONALLY know I drive the car pretty hard...is it the same as going to the track for a day though? Definitely not! However, I get on the freeway quickly, and pass people when they need to be passed, however, if I knew that I needed to change the trans oil well before 100k depending on my driving habits, I would have and that's the problem.

It's like Lexus knew this would happen...saying it's 100k fluid, 70k warranty...I guess all of you that have extended warranties will be getting new transmissions before your car goes out of warranty.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse