IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Our return to HPR for another lapping day.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 09:34 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Our return to HPR for another lapping day.

Well after numerous tweaks and testing we thought we should at least head back to the track for a half day. It was time to test the OSgiken LSD, the FIGS/RB 2-Piece rotors and the front poly bushing replacements. Not to mention the new rear upper link set. We ran into challenges again with the oil temps but muscled through them. Also had a good amount of brake fluid boil which is no fun...soft pedal to the floor

setup

Brakes did great. The XP8 compound held up nicely, much better than I expected actually. There was one incident during track bed-in that we had one side get a little too hot.

We did finally get to the inner ring surface. Remember these were the narrower thicker rings that had a little bit of pad overhang with the factory pads. With the Carbotech pads oddly there were spot on.
before

After

The one thing I wish we had were the penske shocks on, which were sent back for final spec out (finally.) The setup here is an Ohlins front and a BC rear. The spring on the Ohlins was too soft and we had significantly more travel then I would have liked. Also stability was significantly less at high speed transitions. That held me back quite a bit on comfort. Another weird thing is that the car is stalling out around 4500-5000 RPM. It feels like a valve timing issue...like it hits a wall. I plan on stopping into the dealer to have them take alook since the motor is still under warranty.

A few action shots. The track only lends itself to one photo section without a good hike.

We should get the Penske shocks back in a few weeks and then I am going to looking into oil cooling augmentation. We are already running higher temp oil, Amsoil Dominator 15w50 and coolant was full. I am also playing with some sway bar options, just to get more info on what dynamics we can change.

A few other fun cars were there like this RHD converted EvoVIII
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-08-12 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-07-12, 03:22 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

nice, i really want your 2 piece rotors

since adding power to our cars is limited to none, reducing weight is one of my goals especially unsprung weight
Old 09-07-12, 04:50 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheels

Hey Figs you mind sharing the specs on those wheels rpf1's by chance?
Old 09-07-12, 05:03 PM
tred
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome- when's the next time you r heading out there? Had my is350 out last week
Old 09-07-12, 06:16 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

looks hella fun. thanks for sharing
Old 09-08-12, 07:45 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by ming15237
Hey Figs you mind sharing the specs on those wheels rpf1's by chance?
These are Kosei KS-T1, 18x8 +45 I believe
Originally Posted by tred
Awesome- when's the next time you r heading out there? Had my is350 out last week
Trying to get back in a few weeks. I have a few 350 parts to test so hit me up if you are interested.
Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 09-08-12, 08:55 AM
TrackLight
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FIGS
Well after numerous tweaks and testing we thought we should at least head back to the track for a half day. It was time to test the OSgiken LSD, the FIGS/RB 2-Piece rotors and the front poly bushing replacements. Not to mention the new rear upper link set. We ran into challenges again with the oil temps but muscled through them. Also had a good amount of brake fluid boil which is no fun...soft pedal to the floor
Thank you for posting a great update!

In regards to the oil temps and oil coolers, have you or anyone on CL had a chance to look at the CCS-R setup?

As for the brake fluid boil I was hoping to hear that the new rotors would lessen that problem. Are you thinking about a different pad combination, ducting for cool air, or a set of larger calipers? I know that a few Evos run titanium shims behind the pads on stock calipers to try and decrease heat transfer to the pistons. I knew a few people who ran brakes with titanium pistons on Porches back in the day (aftermarket addition to the Brembo 993 Turbo brakes). Unfortunately I don't know who made the pistons, how much they would cost, and I don't know if there would be anything 'off the shelf' for the calipers on the IS-F.
Old 09-08-12, 09:39 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a fun track! I might have to make a road trip next year and run out there with you! . Sorry to hear y were having so many mechanical issues.... . Do you think the Olin's would be better with stiffer springs?
Old 09-08-12, 10:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Why are you running 15w-50? Heavy oil ALWAYS runs hotter - a LOT hotter - and it uses more horsepower from a pumping perspective and a fluid drag perspective.

I'd bet a lot of money your cooling issues would go away with a 30 weight oil.
Old 09-08-12, 10:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Great update, thanks for sharing!

Btw, what kind of lap times did the panel van put down?

Old 09-08-12, 11:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Video here:

Couldn't see video and pics in the same post.
Old 09-08-12, 04:59 PM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Add a nice oil to air cooler stacked on the stock oil to coolant unit, and you'll be good to go with Xw30, as lobux said. Use at least -12 lines, maybe even larger... the 2UR pushes a good volume of oil.

I like the Racing Brake Rotors, been using those (un-through-slottled version) on the Tundra for a few years.

Which Ohlins damper type do you have?

Last edited by Jowett; 09-08-12 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-08-12, 05:08 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jowett
Which Ohlins damper type do you have?
He's using the R/T's. (Road and Tracks's)
Old 09-08-12, 08:56 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Why are you running 15w-50? Heavy oil ALWAYS runs hotter - a LOT hotter - and it uses more horsepower from a pumping perspective and a fluid drag perspective.

I'd bet a lot of money your cooling issues would go away with a 30 weight oil.
Lance, I went to the 50W to maintain viscosity at the elevated track temps. I also found a decent amount of oil from the breathers earlier this year so the experiment started there. Original overheating issue were seen with 0w30 so I not sure its going to be a fix-all. Temps cool back down quickly, it just seems to be a cooling capacity problem. It deserves its own attention though and that is wha tI plan on doing next. I am hoping I can get oil temp out of OBDII, should be able to.

Mike
Old 09-09-12, 09:55 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the DFV R&T stuff is made by Soqi in Japan (coincidentally, a Yamaha owned company) good stuff. The really good stuff (other than Penske) comes out of Ohlins Sweden, but one will pay for it. The TTX stuff is a dream to tune and it works so well as the design helps eliminate cavitation, amongst other things. Sorry for the high jack... I enjoy working with Ohlins products.

The coolant lines for the stock oil cooler are 12mm.... I wonder if using 14mm lines would be worth the effort?

Quick Reply: Our return to HPR for another lapping day.