Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish I used some Toyota WS trans fluid...lol
Old 09-09-12, 10:25 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
I see everyone uses RBF600 for brakes. Is it just by far the best fluid?
I don't think it's the best fluid out there. It's just a very good fluid that meets most people's needs. It has a high boiling point, a reasonable price, good avalibility, and does its job.
Old 10-24-12, 01:23 PM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where would you get Motul RBF600? Can you buy this stuff in retail stores?
Old 10-24-12, 04:45 PM
lx470man
Advanced

I also wanted to know for the OEM coolant is there s specific name? Or does toyota/lexus only have 1 type of coolant for all of their vehicles?
Old 10-24-12, 07:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

There are two Toyota coolant flavors. Red and pink. Red is the "normal" stuff, or better said, old school Toyota. Pink is called SLLC - Super Long Life Coolant - and it's what everything Toyota has been using for a long time now. Only my Supra gets the red stuff anymore, both the '06 Scion tC and the F take the pink stuff.
Old 10-25-12, 07:36 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
Where would you get Motul RBF600? Can you buy this stuff in retail stores?
i ordered it of amazon
Old 10-26-12, 04:47 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually run: Castrol Edge Syntec 5w30 or Mobil 1 0w30

But will possibly be switching to: Royal Purple XPR 5w30

The mad scientist that helps me out with my car recommended it and the reviews I have seen look great.

Last edited by MRxSLAYx; 10-26-12 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 04:15 PM
lx470man
Advanced

As it is known that high performance brake fluid such as the motul rbf600 have a downside of attracting more moisture sooner than the regular fluid, how often do you guys plan on changing it? And do you completely bleed the brakes or just replace the brake fluid reservoir?
Old 10-29-12, 08:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

One track weekend and I've usually gone through a bottle of brake fluid. When the fluid gets really hot it's pretty easy to clear out the reservoir just getting clear fluid to the calipers.
Old 12-07-12, 11:10 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

I use redline water wetter in both of my 2004 GS430 and GX470. I started to notice a brownish oil in my GS coolant reservoir tonight. I immediately thought of a head gasket but I also question it because I have no over heating issues. Took a look at the GX and saw the same thing. Did a google search and found some info along with this link. Thought I share it with you guys. And I will be doing a full flush on both vehicle over the weaken

EDIT: I did a complete flush on both vehicle about two months ago along with adding in redline water wetter. So I am 100% sure this is the cause.

I am not saying not to use this stuff but I am not comftable with oil floating in my cooling system. I found this durning my search and thought it be a good reading for all. The pictures are the from the royal purple result. I just copy it from another form where someone found it on the Porsche forums. Lol

Quote:
Greg Theisz
Southeast Regional Manager
Cell 713-253-3422 Fax 210-568-2940
gtheisz@royalpurple.com

We recently had a consumer provide us with a coolant sample that he thought had been contaminated with motor oil from a blown head gasket. We performed an analysis, and found it wasn't motor oil. It was polysiloxane polymer (i.e. silicone) from Red Line Water Wetter. He had been using this product for several years, adding a couple bottles per year.

Seeing this prompted us to look into the issue further in the controlled environment of our coolant test lab.

We setup our ASTM D2570 Simulated Service coolant test rig, and ran Water Wetter through repeated heat/cool cycles. We found that after 8-10 cycles, the polysiloxane polymer become completely insoluble. After another 5-6 cycles, it turned brown, and began coating the inside of the radiator. After another 15-20 cycles, it turned darker brown, and in the high heat area of the system became thicker in consistency -- almost like molasses.

As mentioned in a previous report on this topic, Red Line uses polysiloxane polymer as an antifoam ingredient in their Water Wetter formula. This is "old technology," as there are now far more sophisticated antifoam ingredients available for coolant. The problem with polysiloxane is that it is only marginally soluble in water, and polymerizes through repeated heating/cooling cycles.

Have a look at the attached photos. Two of them are glass beakers containing the Water Wetter/water solution drained from our ASTM test rig at the conclusion of the test. The other one is the coolant reservoir of the consumer who needlessly rebuilt his engine after using Water Wetter.

As you can see, this material looks a lot like motor oil. It coats everything it comes into contact with. It would take a lot of flushing to completely remove this from a cooling system. It's pretty nasty stuff. I can tell you, it took plenty of work to get it out of our ASTM test rig!

I have heard through the grapevine that the chemist who originally developed Water Wetter is no longer at Red Line, and none of their existing technical staff has any background in the area of coolants. For this reason, they are probably unable to update their formula to any newer types of technology. And of course, they are not members of ASTM, so they may not have any access to research or updated test methodology.

I share this info with you for two reasons:

1) Some uninformed consumers may errantly assume this material is motor oil in their coolant from a blown heat gasket, causing them to perform a costly motor teardown that is completely unnecessary.

2) There may be consumers who use Red Line Water Wetter before using Purple Ice. We certainly don't want them to think that Ice caused this. For this reason, I think our research on this subject may prove helpful at some point.

We have full documentation to back all of this up. And of course the web is filled with similar reports. If you Google the words "Water Wetter Brown" you find scores of them. Feel free to use this info however you may see fit.

Last edited by bigguppy; 12-07-12 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-08-12, 02:23 PM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use the dealership on fluids..... That kind of maintenance I just let dealership do.... It's not that much more expensive and most of time I'm just too busy these days to do the work myself.... I just did a brake job myself though. That was super easy and less then an hr for both sides. Plus when the dealership said $1200 for the parts and labor I said pound sand.... Just had to find the time...
Old 12-09-12, 06:53 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Royal Purple Motor Oil 5W-30 (there is nothing better than that)
For coolant I like PEAK (50/50).
For transmission probably OEM (if not Royal Purple.)
Brake Fluid BREMBO sport EVO 500.
Old 12-10-12, 10:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by bigguppy
I use redline water wetter in both of my 2004 GS430 and GX470. I started to notice a brownish oil in my GS coolant reservoir tonight. I immediately thought of a head gasket but I also question it because I have no over heating issues. Took a look at the GX and saw the same thing. Did a google search and found some info along with this link. Thought I share it with you guys. And I will be doing a full flush on both vehicle over the weaken

EDIT: I did a complete flush on both vehicle about two months ago along with adding in redline water wetter. So I am 100% sure this is the cause.

I am not saying not to use this stuff but I am not comftable with oil floating in my cooling system. I found this durning my search and thought it be a good reading for all. The pictures are the from the royal purple result. I just copy it from another form where someone found it on the Porsche forums. Lol

Quote:
Greg Theisz
Southeast Regional Manager
Cell 713-253-3422 Fax 210-568-2940
gtheisz@royalpurple.com

We recently had a consumer provide us with a coolant sample that he thought had been contaminated with motor oil from a blown head gasket. We performed an analysis, and found it wasn't motor oil. It was polysiloxane polymer (i.e. silicone) from Red Line Water Wetter. He had been using this product for several years, adding a couple bottles per year.

Seeing this prompted us to look into the issue further in the controlled environment of our coolant test lab.

We setup our ASTM D2570 Simulated Service coolant test rig, and ran Water Wetter through repeated heat/cool cycles. We found that after 8-10 cycles, the polysiloxane polymer become completely insoluble. After another 5-6 cycles, it turned brown, and began coating the inside of the radiator. After another 15-20 cycles, it turned darker brown, and in the high heat area of the system became thicker in consistency -- almost like molasses.

As mentioned in a previous report on this topic, Red Line uses polysiloxane polymer as an antifoam ingredient in their Water Wetter formula. This is "old technology," as there are now far more sophisticated antifoam ingredients available for coolant. The problem with polysiloxane is that it is only marginally soluble in water, and polymerizes through repeated heating/cooling cycles.

Have a look at the attached photos. Two of them are glass beakers containing the Water Wetter/water solution drained from our ASTM test rig at the conclusion of the test. The other one is the coolant reservoir of the consumer who needlessly rebuilt his engine after using Water Wetter.

As you can see, this material looks a lot like motor oil. It coats everything it comes into contact with. It would take a lot of flushing to completely remove this from a cooling system. It's pretty nasty stuff. I can tell you, it took plenty of work to get it out of our ASTM test rig!

I have heard through the grapevine that the chemist who originally developed Water Wetter is no longer at Red Line, and none of their existing technical staff has any background in the area of coolants. For this reason, they are probably unable to update their formula to any newer types of technology. And of course, they are not members of ASTM, so they may not have any access to research or updated test methodology.

I share this info with you for two reasons:

1) Some uninformed consumers may errantly assume this material is motor oil in their coolant from a blown heat gasket, causing them to perform a costly motor teardown that is completely unnecessary.

2) There may be consumers who use Red Line Water Wetter before using Purple Ice. We certainly don't want them to think that Ice caused this. For this reason, I think our research on this subject may prove helpful at some point.

We have full documentation to back all of this up. And of course the web is filled with similar reports. If you Google the words "Water Wetter Brown" you find scores of them. Feel free to use this info however you may see fit.

Interesting. I've been running 80/20 distilled/Toyota Red coolant with a bottle of Water Wetter for the last 14 years in my Supra. Never experienced this brown death. But I never add more than one bottle to a full load of coolant. i have no idea why anyone would be foolish enough to add more water wetter over time. I only use it as an anti-corrosive. It couldn't possibly make nearly the difference I see from going to 80/20 from 50/50.
Old 12-11-12, 04:35 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

From my search it was design for racing and to be mix with water. To avoid any oily spill on the track. I think what happen here with my situation is that i add it in straight (one bottle) with the Toyota Red without mixing with water. But either way I thought I share my experience since it was talked about here. It really has not cause any problem in my cooling system but seeing oil floating is some what scary. I will post a picture when I get a chance.
Old 12-11-12, 06:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If you want a solid coverage of cooling system basics, check out Stewart Components website:

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/Tech_Tips.htm

Specifically this:

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tec...ech_Tips_6.htm

These guys have forgot more than most will ever know.

Finally, this word of caution:

Originally Posted by Stewart Components
Coolant
UNEQUIVOCALLY WATER IS THE BEST COOLANT! We recommend using a corrosion inhibitor comparable to Prestone Super Anti-Rust when using pure water. If freezing is a concern, use the minimum amount of antifreeze required for your climate. Stewart Components has extensively tested all of the popular "magic" cooling system additives, and found that none work better than water. In fact, some additives have been found to swell the water pumps seals and contribute to pump failures.
Oh, and C&R Radiators, the guys who provide practically all the radiators to NASCAR (don't laugh - if they didn't have excellent cooling systems they could never finish a 500 mile race) and to the IRL, say this:

Originally Posted by Circle Track Racing
As far as "water wetters" are concerned, Paulsen's company has conducted extensive testing on numerous brands on the market and has found nothing that significantly reduces the temperature of water in a cooling system. "I can guarantee you," affirms Paulsen, "that, through our extensive testing, we have not found anything that will give you a 20-degree drop in water temperature."

Plain water is the best heat transfer agent known to man right now. Antifreeze does not have as good heat-carrying capabilities as water does and, in fact, the actual temperature of the water and antifreeze will be higher from about 5 to 8 degrees, and the boiling point will rise about 25-30 degrees depending on the mixture to water.

Read more: http://www.circletrack.com/preview/c...#ixzz2EngTBgQe

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-11-12 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: What fluids do you all use.