2010 ISF Aftermarket Sub Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 08:58 PM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by silverlexg
...... really? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or1Xg4NXRws

The amp is going to be mounted under the rear deck. Here's an example of how i did it on my wifes car. No Cap - just the equipment in the first post.

- Andrew
Nice! I've never seen an amp mounted this way, but it's a good idea - better heat dissipation.
Old 09-11-12, 09:03 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice man, clean and simple. And your trunk is still fully functional. Not like some other members that added 200lbs and a non functional trunk lol.
Old 09-11-12, 09:15 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day 2 - Power Wire & Ground wiring Complete

Ok - this isnt a huge post but it took quite a while to get it right. I'm not one for slapping things together so it probably took longer than it needed to with all the adjustments and getting things just right.

First off - some disassembly :-) removed the door sills and rear seats so I could run the power wire from the battery/fuse. Their is a grommet on the passenger footwell & behind the battery that makes passing the wiring into the engine bay very easy. You will need to pull the battery out to make it look nice though. You might be able to get it through but It was much much easier to pull the battery and then route everything the right way.

Enjoy the pics :-)

AND.... Finished.

I'm hoping to get the box and sub mounted tomorrow evening :-)

- Andrew
Old 09-12-12, 11:55 AM
aznking
Driver School Candidate

Hey did you pick up the input signal directly after the amp or from the front L&R door before the speaker? If it is right at the output of the amp. Can you post picture of the color wires for the front L&R speaker please.
Old 09-12-12, 12:00 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Originally Posted by aznking
Hey did you pick up the input signal directly after the amp or from the front L&R door before the speaker? If it is right at the output of the amp. Can you post picture of the color wires for the front L&R speaker please.
I haven't gotten to that point yet :-) But I will be picking up the signal after the amp - which is the front L & R woofers. I'll post the colors and pictures when I get to it - hopefully in a day or two. Sub & Box mounting are tonight.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 09-12-12, 08:04 PM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by silverlexg
Ok - this isnt a huge post but it took quite a while to get it right. I'm not one for slapping things together so it probably took longer than it needed to with all the adjustments and getting things just right.

First off - some disassembly :-) removed the door sills and rear seats so I could run the power wire from the battery/fuse. Their is a grommet on the passenger footwell & behind the battery that makes passing the wiring into the engine bay very easy. You will need to pull the battery out to make it look nice though. You might be able to get it through but It was much much easier to pull the battery and then route everything the right way.

Enjoy the pics :-)

I'm hoping to get the box and sub mounted tomorrow evening :-)

- Andrew
Looking very nice! I totally agree that making everything clean and neat takes way longer than expected (my wife can also attest to this.... ).
Old 09-12-12, 10:03 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Default Day 3 - Sub box, Amp & LOC mounting

Ok - busy night! I had a friend stop by and he's been giving me a hand, we were able to knock out quite a bit tonight. The sub box is mounted, the sub would be installed but my screws arent long enough (boo). The Sub box is mounted using 3 screws, 2 on the bottom where the trunk net tie downs were ( its a M6 bolt btw - I had the buy a longer one to reach through the box). The 3rd screw uses on the carpet tie downs on the rear of the car (corner - I just used a lag bolt and nut to secure it). The box is very tight and wont be going anywhere :-)

We also got the stand offs for the amp and line out convertor put in. I didn't get the amp or LOC mounted so it may not look like much but this part is a pain in the butt as it involves carefully drilling holes, removing the back deck and removing the stock subwoofer. It's so worth it though - mounting the amp and everything here is awesome (out of the way & hidden).

Tomorrow I should have the equipment all mounted (Amp, Sub, LOC) and depending on time I may start on tapping the signal wires at the factory amp. Now for the good stuff - more pictures!

- Andrew

Stock sub vs the new one

Sub is wired to 1 ohm, as it has dual 2 ohm voice coils - here the wiring diagram.

Last edited by silverlexg; 09-13-12 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 01:06 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't even need to secure that box. Mine hasn't moved in 4 moths of hard 60-80mph turns.
Good progress, you'll love it when it's done. It's a super clean and OEM looking set up.
Old 09-13-12, 06:33 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colors can be different depending on year of the car. Ask me how I know! Also, this is a good looking build. Makes me want to redo a few things on mine. I just don't know if I could get my golf clubs in with the sub in that location?
Old 09-13-12, 06:48 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is a good write up on wiring the LOC
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ictures-5.html

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Colors can be different depending on year of the car. Ask me how I know! Also, this is a good looking build. Makes me want to redo a few things on mine. I just don't know if I could get my golf clubs in with the sub in that location?
My clubs still fit in the trunk with the sub in the car
I also didn't bolt my enclosed down so it comes out of the car in less then 1 min. Great for track days or putting something big in the trunk. That's just one more think that makes this box great. I wouldn't want to be stuck with it in the trunk while on the track.
Old 09-13-12, 10:12 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Thanks for the heads up on the LOC thread - I downloaded the audio system diagram (for the correct model & year) so I should be all set. I'll be sure to include this when I get to that stage.
Old 09-14-12, 08:47 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Default Day 4 - not much since I had to work late..

*** UPDATE ***

I moved the speaker tap to the sub channel as I didnt like how the bass sounded off the stock front woofers. I have been happier with how the volume and output sound with that vs the boomy-ness of the front woofer tabs. I'll swap the pictures out with the new tabs going to the sub connections when I get a minute.

Well - I had to work late last night so not much to report. I did manage to get the sub installed (yay for correct length screws). I also tapped the front left/right woofer wires from the stock amp. I put together this graphic to help anyone looking for these wires. I still need to tap a remote turn on at the amp (ran out of time). These 4 wires will be connected to a line out convertor to produce the input to the sub amp.

As a note of caution this is for a 2010 ISF with ML, wire colors and pin placement will likely be different on different model years and non ML models.

Wiring Diagram for 2010 ISF with ML

Here's my soldering into those wires - you can carefully remove the wires from the connector to slip on some heat shrink (release a little clip from the front side of the connector). I put everything back into the loom so its nice and neat, I'll take some pics when its all done.

- Andrew

Last edited by silverlexg; 10-03-12 at 02:30 PM. Reason: ** Updated Wiring Recommendation **
Old 09-16-12, 05:04 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

jst in case anyone is wondering on the 2010 ML system the ACC wire (or remote turn on for your amp) is the thin white wire (near the blue and pink wires) on the first connector (the one closest to the rear of the car aka the one with no speaker wires coming from it)
Old 09-16-12, 10:45 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Default Day 4? Sub installed.. Amp Installed...LOC installed... testing :-)

Ok - whew weekend flew by... but I managed to spend a couple of hours on the car. The sub is installed - the amp is installed.. the LOC is installed and I got to test it out today. I'm very pleased with the install - the sub doesnt have enough output for me, and honestly its overpowered (amp is putting out 600RMS underated and the sub is rated for 500). I'm going to replace the sub (already ordered) with an RE SE X 12 - probably not as clean of a sub but will take plenty of abuse and I'm fond of REs (I've had a 12 RE XXX for 8+yrs). Anyway - here's some pics and the diagram of the remote turn on lead. Any questions feel free to ask.

- Andrew

This is the amp turn on lead.

Sub Mounted

Amp Mounted (final mounting location is closer to the top deck)

Old 09-16-12, 11:49 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that stock sub is tiny lol!

Quick Reply: 2010 ISF Aftermarket Sub Install