IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2010 ISF Aftermarket Sub Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 11:24 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard his setup this evening and it's a huge improvement over stock.... and I'm actually surprised he wants more bass!! Install looks amazing too! He's definitely got me wanting to do this to my F now... wife will be pissed....
Old 10-25-12, 10:25 AM
lexusis07
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

great job, clean wiring and a great amp mounting job. not tying to be an *** but the 2 inch strips of sound deadener wont do anything. deadener only works if its covering a good majority like 70-90% of the metal. my experience with deadening my 250 was that the roof, doors, trunk lid, gas door, rear seat, and rear deck made a significant difference.
Old 10-25-12, 02:28 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusis07
great job, clean wiring and a great amp mounting job. not tying to be an *** but the 2 inch strips of sound deadener wont do anything. deadener only works if its covering a good majority like 70-90% of the metal. my experience with deadening my 250 was that the roof, doors, trunk lid, gas door, rear seat, and rear deck made a significant difference.
The goal with CLD times is 25% coverage, which I'm sure I didn't hit (I mentioned this in my original post). But 100% coverage is unnecessary. The CLD Tiles are often paired with additional deadening techniques like MLV. I wasnt gutting the car and as I mentioned I had some CLD tiles left over so thats what I used - I am 100% confident it helped. Don over at sounddeadenershowdown has lot of info on sound deadening and he can help you put together a package if yo uare looking to deaden a car. I'm certainly not an expert but hes dedicated lots of time and info to perfecting sound deadening in Car audio applications at quite a bit cheaper than the dynomat/fatmat etc alternatives.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/cld

Last edited by silverlexg; 10-25-12 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-26-12, 05:03 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

I'm a little confused. Does the L2Ci do the same thing as the JL Audio cleansweep, or are those 2 completely different things? I am trying to piece my system together now to make sure I do it once and right. I've seen multiple times where people say we need a cleansweep to work with our OEM system. I think it's too expensive tho and would love a cheaper alternative. Thanks for any help you can give.

Nate
Old 10-26-12, 07:40 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Yes and no - the l2ci is an advanced line out convertor while the JL clean sweep is a DSP. The DSP is supposed to cancel out the tuning. The factory system has in place providing a flat signal for aftermarket amps. The real issue is what are you trying to do... If you are replacing or adding an aftermarket sub / amp the clean sweep is really overkill (in my opinion). I used a l2ci to add an aftermarket amp/sub to the factory system. The factory system has an un defeat able 35hz sub sonic filter which neither product is going to fix. I can't speak to how well the DSP products work, although I've heard some have issues with the ML systems. They may work awesome but if all you are doing is adding a sub it's a large expenses that I don't believe is worth the additional expenses. If you are doing a full build out then certainly it's necessary. Doing a full build or replacement on the ML system is complex so if you aren't comfortable or familiar with these systems I wouldn't recomment you jump in.. It's very expensive iff you break something. Hope that makes sense - if not let me know. There are a few builds at diymobileaudio.com so be sure to check those out as well.
Old 10-27-12, 01:08 AM
Nate008
Pole Position

Thanks for the quick response. I understand what the difference between those two products now. I just ordered a JL 12W7 and the JL HD750 to push it. Not going to change any speakers except disconnect factory sub.

I will probably go with the LC2i as it's 1/3 price of the JL. I been trying to do research tonight on multiple audio forums. The more I do, the more I realize I don't know nearly enough about systems as I thought I did lol.

I have a friend that has alot of experience in installing systems but I may just pay someone since our car is just a pita.

Awesome setup you have and thanks again for your help.: D

Nate
Old 10-27-12, 02:25 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Awesome job...... Swing by Ca and help me with my car.....
Old 10-27-12, 09:52 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

this is awesome. thanks for the pics and info. Im thinking of doing this even though im somewhat happy with the stock sound from the ML system. i use to have a single IDMAX. very good stuff.
Old 10-29-12, 05:53 AM
lexusis07
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by silverlexg
The goal with CLD times is 25% coverage, which I'm sure I didn't hit (I mentioned this in my original post). But 100% coverage is unnecessary. The CLD Tiles are often paired with additional deadening techniques like MLV. I wasnt gutting the car and as I mentioned I had some CLD tiles left over so thats what I used - I am 100% confident it helped. Don over at sounddeadenershowdown has lot of info on sound deadening and he can help you put together a package if yo uare looking to deaden a car. I'm certainly not an expert but hes dedicated lots of time and info to perfecting sound deadening in Car audio applications at quite a bit cheaper than the dynomat/fatmat etc alternatives.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/cld
my 250s all deadend up like a rock lol. i guess it could help with your application, but if you planed on going bigger you would want around 50% coverage at least. and ive used it all haha literally, fat mat dyno, damplifier pro, alpha damp, audio technix. i just recently spent 3 days peeling allllll of that trash off and replaced it with murder mat the BEST sound deadener to be created. thickest mat on the market and its just plain sexy.
Old 10-31-12, 10:31 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey all.. long time listener, first time caller.

Nice clear and concise write up. Planning on doing almost the exact same install this next week.

Couple of questions:

- Why did you opt to use the amp's remote gain control vs the AudioControl's level control? Lower amp gain = less unwanted noise = better clarity.

- Why did you tap into the rear door sub wires instead of the main single sub wires?

For the record, I'm installing a single JL 13W3v3-2 13.5" sub into a ported box built by this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261028027775...witem=&vxp=mtr

Power by a Sony XM-1S 500W RMS slim amp with a signal coming from an AudioControl LC2i. Not usually a Sony fan, but everything comes back super positive about this amp plus with the extra space needed for that sub, I can still fit both the amp and LOC behind the box.
Old 11-02-12, 08:33 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmacks
Hey all.. long time listener, first time caller.

Nice clear and concise write up. Planning on doing almost the exact same install this next week.

Couple of questions:

- Why did you opt to use the amp's remote gain control vs the AudioControl's level control? Lower amp gain = less unwanted noise = better clarity.

- Why did you tap into the rear door sub wires instead of the main single sub wires?

For the record, I'm installing a single JL 13W3v3-2 13.5" sub into a ported box built by this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261028027775...witem=&vxp=mtr

Power by a Sony XM-1S 500W RMS slim amp with a signal coming from an AudioControl LC2i. Not usually a Sony fan, but everything comes back super positive about this amp plus with the extra space needed for that sub, I can still fit both the amp and LOC behind the box.
Hmm... That's a pretty nice looking box. Let us know how it looks, quality-wise. And keep us updated on your installation.
Old 11-02-12, 09:13 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will do.

Already ditched the Sony amp in favor of a Hifonics GLX1000.1D and kicking myself for not doing so from the beginning. There was more room behind and around the box than we originally thought even after adjusting for the increased airspace of 2.5 cu/ft. I'll have to be a little careful with it as to not blow the sub with the CEA certified 750w from the amp vs the stated 600w RMS handling..

Tyler, the Ebay listing owner of Concept Enclosures, was super cool to work with and custom fit the box exactly to JL's specs for the 13W3v3-2 13.5" sub for the same price as is listed there. Can't wait to see what the 60% more air movement vs a 12" sub feels like in a nicely tuned and ported box..

Last edited by jsmacks; 11-02-12 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-02-12, 02:40 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Originally Posted by jsmacks
Will do.

Already ditched the Sony amp in favor of a Hifonics GLX1000.1D and kicking myself for not doing so from the beginning. There was more room behind and around the box than we originally thought even after adjusting for the increased airspace of 2.5 cu/ft. I'll have to be a little careful with it as to not blow the sub with the CEA certified 750w from the amp vs the stated 600w RMS handling..

Tyler, the Ebay listing owner of Concept Enclosures, was super cool to work with and custom fit the box exactly to JL's specs for the 13W3v3-2 13.5" sub for the same price as is listed there. Can't wait to see what the 60% more air movement vs a 12" sub feels like in a nicely tuned and ported box..
Thats awesome - deff follow up with a build thread :-) I almost went with that box... i decided i wanted more of my trunk space though. The ported box should be much louded than the side fiberglass boxes.