IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Vs. M3 - Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 05:10 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RizOne
I am lucky to have both a 2011 E90 M3 6 speed with 700 miles and a 2012 ISF with 500 miles. The BMW has free scheduled maintenance for 4yrs/50k miles. I will usually pay for every other oil change because I think the BMW interval is too long. The dealer charges about $190 for oil change. The M3 takes the really expensive Castrol 10W-60 oil. I am hoping the Isf is somewhat cheaper. What is factory fill for the ISF oil? BMW will change the rear diff fluid at 1200 miles on the M3. Does the ISF need anything changed at the 1000 mile service?
My dealership charges $100 for an oil change in the IS-F.
Old 09-17-12, 05:15 PM
lilcop17
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bout my F with 81k miles with no warranty. Runs great, clean history. Kind of debating to get a warranty because I always thing the worst is going to happen :/
Old 09-17-12, 05:23 PM
RizOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vbb
Curious, why do you have essentially brand new versions of two very similar cars? Not knocking you or anything, just curious what went in to the decision to get an M3 and an IS-F. Is one for track duty? If I were going to pay $65K for a 2nd car, it'd be probably the opposite of an IS-F (probably a luxury SUV of some sort).
You have a valid question. I don't have a good answer. I picked up last of the 4 door NA V8 M3's. I love the whole feel of the car from the engine, to the suspension and steering feel. The ISF is similar on paper but an entirely different car. I already have a X5. I don't really need a large car. I like smaller sedans and sports cars. I have a GT3, Exige S 240 for track. I wanted something different to replace my old E46 3 series so here I am.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-22-12 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 05:29 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

An M3, IS-F, X5, Exige S and oh yeah, a GT3. Well in THAT case, sure, might as well have the IS-F too.
Old 09-17-12, 05:38 PM
lilcop17
Driver

Originally Posted by RizOne
Originally Posted by vbb
Curious, why do you have essentially brand new versions of two very similar cars? Not knocking you or anything, just curious what went in to the decision to get an M3 and an IS-F. Is one for track duty? If I were going to pay $65K for a 2nd car, it'd be probably the opposite of an IS-F (probably a luxury SUV of some sort).
You have a valid question. I don't have a good answer. I picked up last of the 4 door NA V8 M3's. I love the whole feel of the car from the engine, to the suspension and steering feel. The ISF is similar on paper but an entirely different car. I already have a X5. I don't really need a large car. I like smaller sedans and sports cars. I have a GT3, Exige S 240 for track. I wanted something different to replace my old E46 3 series so here I am.
Are you hiring by chance?

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-22-12 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 07:53 PM
Fragger
Rookie

Talking

Thank you for ALL the wonderful responses guys! So far, if your feedback is correct (which it should be), I am thoroughly impressed by manageable maintenance the IS-F has, ESPECIALLY when compared to the M ... If you guys think of anything else, please share.

BTW, I think Car and Driver or Edmunds or one of them did a review on its reliability, but it scored very poorly or expensive, I think. Is that true?

Everything else (on paper) and even in appearance is actually looking good for the IS-F, but when I actually drove the car, I didn't walk out with a grin that I have when I drive the M3 or even the EVO X, I tested earlier that day :P. Maybe you guys can tell me the right settings (setup) to drive the IS-F with? I made sure I drove in Manual mode and had one of the settings to "Sport"

My issues/observations:

- For a car that has 379 lbs/ft of torque, I thought the low end was really missing :/? So pull back feeling that even a 335i gives you, with 79lbs less torque (I'm sure the IS-F weighs more?)

- The steering should have been thicker, like the M3

- The steering feedback was almost not there... I didn't feel very "connected" to the road, everything felt "softer" especially compared to the feedback that M3 gives

- Didn't do much to test the handling, but I understand that it is not some to be better than the M3, anyway. Do these things have an LSD? Even the 08s?

- Wish the color combos on the interior, especially were more exciting like the Bimmers

- Didn't find anything "wrong" with the paddle shifting, quick shifts, I think, but my first time driving a paddle shifting car, and it just doesn't have that excitement of a stick. I think I may have to get over this one anyway, because I think I have had enough of the manuals, but for someone, with this much power, they just "feel" right....

Other than that, the car looks amazing. The exhaust note is good too, IF heard from the outside. I thought it side better than an M3 does, stock. Of course, most features and luxuries were standard equipment (backup camera, parking sensors (I think), premium stereo and etc). Love the wheels!

All in all, very good looking car, but just doesn't drive or feel like a 70K car! I meant no disrespect, BTW, I still think it may be an option for someone like me - wanting the performance, the looks, the reliability, cheaper maintenance, the features, without a lot of hassle. I don't track anyway...

Any other tips of setup or how to really test drive an IS-F would be appreciated. Thank you guys!
Old 09-17-12, 08:13 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Fragger
Thank you for ALL the wonderful responses guys! So far, if your feedback is correct (which it should be), I am thoroughly impressed by manageable maintenance the IS-F has, ESPECIALLY when compared to the M ... If you guys think of anything else, please share.

BTW, I think Car and Driver or Edmunds or one of them did a review on its reliability, but it scored very poorly or expensive, I think. Is that true?

Everything else (on paper) and even in appearance is actually looking good for the IS-F, but when I actually drove the car, I didn't walk out with a grin that I have when I drive the M3 or even the EVO X, I tested earlier that day :P. Maybe you guys can tell me the right settings (setup) to drive the IS-F with? I made sure I drove in Manual mode and had one of the settings to "Sport"

My issues/observations:

- For a car that has 379 lbs/ft of torque, I thought the low end was really missing :/? So pull back feeling that even a 335i gives you, with 79lbs less torque (I'm sure the IS-F weighs more?)

- The steering should have been thicker, like the M3

- The steering feedback was almost not there... I didn't feel very "connected" to the road, everything felt "softer" especially compared to the feedback that M3 gives

- Didn't do much to test the handling, but I understand that it is not some to be better than the M3, anyway. Do these things have an LSD? Even the 08s?

- Wish the color combos on the interior, especially were more exciting like the Bimmers

- Didn't find anything "wrong" with the paddle shifting, quick shifts, I think, but my first time driving a paddle shifting car, and it just doesn't have that excitement of a stick. I think I may have to get over this one anyway, because I think I have had enough of the manuals, but for someone, with this much power, they just "feel" right....

Other than that, the car looks amazing. The exhaust note is good too, IF heard from the outside. I thought it side better than an M3 does, stock. Of course, most features and luxuries were standard equipment (backup camera, parking sensors (I think), premium stereo and etc). Love the wheels!

All in all, very good looking car, but just doesn't drive or feel like a 70K car! I meant no disrespect, BTW, I still think it may be an option for someone like me - wanting the performance, the looks, the reliability, cheaper maintenance, the features, without a lot of hassle. I don't track anyway...

Any other tips of setup or how to really test drive an IS-F would be appreciated. Thank you guys!
Buy the Evo X or an M3 if you walked out without a grin. You tested the F with the correct settings...
Old 09-17-12, 09:22 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

did your foot fall asleep..you have to press the pedal to the floor..try driving it on the highway.. how does it not drive like a 70K car if it has the performance, the looks, the reliability, cheaper maintenance, the features, without a lot of hassle? the same equipment on the M3 will raise the base price rapidly
Old 09-17-12, 10:07 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

I personally think the M3 coupe has a completely different feel, BMW's in general have a different feel than our ISF's. Everything you noticed is pretty much spot on if you compared the E92 with the ISF side by side. The M3 feels more like a sports car, and I think the ISF loses some of that sportiness with the automatic trans. Seriously, there are days I would love to clutch kick this car around, heel / toe into a turn, or dump the clutch off of the line, but its not happening. You pretty much have to see it for the bigger picture.... the cost to drive it (maintenance, mpg, and reliability).

Also, where did you test drive the car? On the streets or the highway?
Old 09-18-12, 07:04 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

I drove an M3 Sedan 6 speed manual before I drove the IS-F. I felt the BMW had better handling and turn in.

I bought the IS-F based on price and Lexus reliability.

You can't go wrong with either.
Old 09-18-12, 07:54 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Fragger
My issues/observations:
I suppose if this car doesn't "do it" for you, then you shouldn't trying to talk yourself into buying one. You can certainly get a used Evo X for cheaper. You mentioned the 335i though, and I had one of those that had a chip (Turbo Tuner) and there is no question that the IS-F feels like it has more torque and definitely more horsepower than my tuned 335i did. I'm not sure how you missed the low-end grunt, but it is definitely there. BMW does offer better steering feedback (best in the biz, other than Porsche or an exotic) though. I completely disagree on the interiors, as BMW makes very bland interiors in my opinion, even if you get red or saddle brown (which do look good). I just don't prefer the instrumentation layout or dash.

All that said, the M3 is a great car. Many of us, including myself, chose this car because it has the things we like about Lexus (luxury & reliability) but it is a capable sports sedan at the same time. I like this car far better than my 335i, in pretty much every category you can name.
Old 09-18-12, 08:18 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

OP, the ISF is still a Lexus so you may not get that familiar raw/sporty feel when driving a car like the M3 or the Evo. The power is definitely there in the F, it just has the special touch from Lexus that balances comfort and luxury with that power. The ISF also comes with a very forgiving maintenance schedule and unbeatable reliability of course. The money you save on maintenance and parts can be spent on sportier parts if you want!

Vbb said it best, don't try to talk yourself into buying the ISF if it doesn't have that appeal you're looking for. Put more thought into what you want versus limiting your options.
Old 09-18-12, 09:44 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
My dealership charges $100 for an oil change in the IS-F.
My dealership used to charge $88. However the last 3 I have had have gone up $2 each time so now it is $94. They also now make you top of the gas in the loaner car back to where it was at or charge you for it. Talk about being cheap.
Old 09-18-12, 11:26 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

OP, what you described are all the reasons I went with the F over the M. I think most if not all the things you noted are personal preferences. I specifically didn't get that grin in the M because it didn't provide the correct mix of luxury with performance. It was a car that was more raw than I wanted or needed. After all is said and done, I think the F is a hell of a reliable car with a perfect balance of performance and style. However, my view of a perfect balance is different from other people's views...and this is where only you can decide if it's really right for you.
Old 09-18-12, 11:27 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U can debate the F and M3 till ur blue in the face and never agree on which is best. I feel that the F never got or gets a fair shake because of the perceived “boring car“ reputation that Lexus has always had. Personally all the things the car critics dog the F for i like. I like the bulbous hood, the flared front end, the “fake“ stacked exhausts as they say. In my $40k price range there was nothing else that compared to my 08 F that offered the looks,performance and reliability. M3 is a great car and so is the F, i don't think there is a magical answer to make someone decide between the 2. Drive both then decide, it's pretty simple

Quick Reply: IS-F Vs. M3 - Maintenance?