IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Vs. M3 - Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 03:56 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your going to pay less on the Lexus brand. 27k(40k-67k) miles I put on my starfire and all I replaced was the brake pads at my cost(stoptech 150 for the whole car!). The water pump leaked like 08-09's tend to do, but it was replaced for free. Almost all IS-F's pull slight right. My new CPO 10' with only 20k miles does too.

I would buy a IS-F just under 50k and then get a platinum warranty from Jerry Johnson for 1700+/- or get one that already has one. You can get these cars covered up to 125k/8yrs. Thats piece of mind.

Lets be frank, ive never lost to a M3 in my F. Once you do the 3 big bolt ons 80% cant touch you power wise. You can go crazy with suspension too. Anything stock, is boring even the mighty GT-R

~Dv8

Last edited by Dv8tion388; 09-18-12 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-22-12, 06:02 PM
Fragger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for these wonderful responses! The more I think about what I need from my cars, the more the IS-F makes sense for me.

For one, I think I need to retest the car, and floor it harder this time. The last time, the salesman was scaring me and telling me not to push the car... (sure, in a way, rightfully sold).

I want to move to a 4 door car, that's automatic, and I think the F is just that car and then some. Everything from low cost of ownership with quality and reliability, the options and the looks, and the 8 speed to keep away from the gas guzzler tax is awesome! Honestly, we can all agree to the legend of M3, but being the kinda guy I am (Current owner of M3, don't track, not so mechanically inclined with no garage or tools), M3 is not the car for me. The only other option that intrigued me was a 335i E90... With a tune, we all know those gains are freaking unbelievable! But even those come at a price (not to own outside of warranty, and God knows what that extra gain does to the stock plumbing and tranny).

With that said, couple of follow up questions:

- Can someone tell me the Year to Year changes from the 08 to 13?

- Is there a way to get the 12 or 13 LED style headlights on the 08? If so, what is the cheapest and easiest way to do it?

- Is there a way to make the 08 Steering a bit fatter without looking cheap and not dumping $700 in that Steering from that special company that made the Carbon fiber and the flat bottom versions of the steering (I noticed, you lose the 'F' logo with those too!) (Sorry, this may be a stupid and a silly questions to most people, LOL!)

- The Navigation updates... are those free to get on an 08? If so, how do you guys do it? Is there a DVD to download or etc?

Thanks again for your wonderful answers and education!
Old 09-22-12, 06:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

There's a kickdown switch under the accelerator that makes you think you're at WOT when you are not. Press hard, you're making 8 copies...there's also a fix for it...

We're not starting a discussion about nav updates outside of Lexus dealerships. Piracy isn't a permitted topic here. 5th gen nav has its limitations, and they can be very frustrating - like 3 right turns instead of a left, or sending you 80 miles down a freeway to turn and go another 80 miles to your destination when you are only 80 miles away on a two lane road. AMHIK.

If you want the features of the later models, you're way ahead to just buy a later model. Really.
Old 09-22-12, 06:43 PM
Fragger
Rookie

Hey lobuxracer,

Thank you for your response. I am sorry, I didn't realize that 08 to newer Nav update needed Pirated discs. I thought it was an update that F owners were entitled to, but I guess I was wrong? Where can I find a thread or resource that talks about these issues that you mentioned with the newer software? I thought the newer software just fixed issues like the Laggy Nav and what have you?

Outside of that, I can clearly see that you are a contributing poster here, probably very much respected and I appreciate that. However, your post was rather discouraging, if you don't mind me disagreeing with you?

I asked for minor things like Steering, and perhaps the headlights are a big deal, but no reason to buy the 10 or newer models. I actually prefer the styling and the wheels on the 08. It's not like I asked about retrofitting the Torsen LSD or something, LOL! So I don't see how there is no merit to get an 08 and tweak that a bit, than to just buy the latest and greatest.

Anyway, thank you for your post. I am hoping that others can also add to my questions.

Thank you guys.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's a kickdown switch under the accelerator that makes you think you're at WOT when you are not. Press hard, you're making 8 copies...there's also a fix for it...

We're not starting a discussion about nav updates outside of Lexus dealerships. Piracy isn't a permitted topic here. 5th gen nav has its limitations, and they can be very frustrating - like 3 right turns instead of a left, or sending you 80 miles down a freeway to turn and go another 80 miles to your destination when you are only 80 miles away on a two lane road. AMHIK.

If you want the features of the later models, you're way ahead to just buy a later model. Really.
Old 09-22-12, 06:53 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn I did not know that
Old 09-22-12, 08:15 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can buy the 2012 LED style headlights from http://is.sewellparts.com Log in with your CL username and get a discount, I think the headlights will run you around 1k.

unfortunately at this time, there's no way to make your steering wheel fatter unless you buy a whole new steering wheel. I guess you can always go to a custom shop and have them fabricate you one.

you can always buy the newest navigation DVD to replace your 08 navigation DVD from the dealer/sewell. The newest DVD will come with updated maps and other stuff. It will set you back roughly $200. Unfortunately its not free update
Old 09-22-12, 11:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Fragger
Hey lobuxracer,

Thank you for your response. I am sorry, I didn't realize that 08 to newer Nav update needed Pirated discs. I thought it was an update that F owners were entitled to, but I guess I was wrong? Where can I find a thread or resource that talks about these issues that you mentioned with the newer software? I thought the newer software just fixed issues like the Laggy Nav and what have you?

Outside of that, I can clearly see that you are a contributing poster here, probably very much respected and I appreciate that. However, your post was rather discouraging, if you don't mind me disagreeing with you?

I asked for minor things like Steering, and perhaps the headlights are a big deal, but no reason to buy the 10 or newer models. I actually prefer the styling and the wheels on the 08. It's not like I asked about retrofitting the Torsen LSD or something, LOL! So I don't see how there is no merit to get an 08 and tweak that a bit, than to just buy the latest and greatest.

Anyway, thank you for your post. I am hoping that others can also add to my questions.

Thank you guys.
There are no software fixes in the '08 and later Gen 5 nav systems. Those all got sorted out by the time the F came along. Asking how people get updates can very quickly turn into software piracy discussions because there are a number of ways you can get updates, not all of them are legal, so we only discuss the "buy it from the dealer" option here. It keeps Club Lexus off the Lexus corporate bad boy radar.

Changing the lights requires compromise by disabling warnings the earlier mode reads as failures. It isn't cheap at all, and IMHO, if you buy the car with the intent of changing to the later model headlights, you're way ahead to have all the warnings working correctly. You'll also void any kind of warranty on the headlights if you change them out. +1 for the later models.

Besides all that, the suspension on the later models is much improved from all accounts - both on the street and at the track. +1 for the later models.

The wheels on the earlier models I like better too, with the exception of the '12 wheels - they look good and they're wider. +1 for '08-'09 and '12.

There are lots of minor changes over the years, all of them documented and discussed here usually shortly after the documentation from Lexus is publicly released. The feel of the steering is also one of the minor changes - they reprogrammed the steering ECU in '10 and made the steering feel "more Porsche like" according to one member here. Folks with IS250s, IS350s, and earlier model IS Fs have changed the steering ECU and said it makes a noticeable difference.

The steering wheel's size isn't changed over the years. If you want it to be thicker, you'll need to address that with something aftermarket.

Finally, I'm fine with you disagreeing. It doesn't bother me. I've just seen lots of people on this board go through grief with some of the things you want to do, and you can easily solve the problem before it happens by purchasing a model with the bits you'd like already installed. The early model wheels are available through the classifieds for pretty cheap (considering the Lexus price), and there is no downside to changing wheels (unless you have a '12 model, then you're giving up 1/2" of width on the rims). Changing the lights, suspension, etc, for cosmetic reasons invites downside. Or black tape on your gauge cluster. Or other issues.

That's what I mean to say. It's your money, and you'll be doing the work, so it's up to you to decide based on your personal risk model.
Old 09-23-12, 09:26 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

what is the kickdown switch fix?
Old 09-23-12, 09:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by lexsane
what is the kickdown switch fix?
Start at post #22.
Old 09-23-12, 09:44 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

thanks.. i might try that but a little hesitant to unleash the grease. also how much is that part if it breaks..you said it was expensive?
Old 09-24-12, 02:58 PM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ha! That's pretty awesome. I'm pretty sure I haven't been flooring it hard enough to intentionally kick this throttle switch...which would explain why it feels faster some times and other times it doesn't. Now that I'm conscious of this "button", I'll be seeing what sort of pressure is actually required to bring out maximum throttle response consistently. Too bad there is hardly ever a good time and a good empty stretch of road to test this car's limit...it could be some time before I can test it.
Old 09-25-12, 02:51 PM
kickinazz
Driver School Candidate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fragger

Hey lobuxracer,

Thank you guys.

There are no software fixes in the '08 and later Gen 5 nav systems. Those all got sorted out by the time the F came along. Asking how people get updates can very quickly turn into software piracy discussions because there are a number of ways you can get updates, not all of them are legal, so we only discuss the "buy it from the dealer" option here. It keeps Club Lexus off the Lexus corporate bad boy radar.

Changing the lights requires compromise by disabling warnings the earlier mode reads as failures. It isn't cheap at all, and IMHO, if you buy the car with the intent of changing to the later model headlights, you're way ahead to have all the warnings working correctly. You'll also void any kind of warranty on the headlights if you change them out. +1 for the later models.

Besides all that, the suspension on the later models is much improved from all accounts - both on the street and at the track. +1 for the later models.

The wheels on the earlier models I like better too, with the exception of the '12 wheels - they look good and they're wider. +1 for '08-'09 and '12.

There are lots of minor changes over the years, all of them documented and discussed here usually shortly after the documentation from Lexus is publicly released. The feel of the steering is also one of the minor changes - they reprogrammed the steering ECU in '10 and made the steering feel "more Porsche like" according to one member here. Folks with IS250s, IS350s, and earlier model IS Fs have changed the steering ECU and said it makes a noticeable difference.

The steering wheel's size isn't changed over the years. If you want it to be thicker, you'll need to address that with something aftermarket.

Finally, I'm fine with you disagreeing. It doesn't bother me. I've just seen lots of people on this board go through grief with some of the things you want to do, and you can easily solve the problem before it happens by purchasing a model with the bits you'd like already installed. The early model wheels are available through the classifieds for pretty cheap (considering the Lexus price), and there is no downside to changing wheels (unless you have a '12 model, then you're giving up 1/2" of width on the rims). Changing the lights, suspension, etc, for cosmetic reasons invites downside. Or black tape on your gauge cluster. Or other issues.

That's what I mean to say. It's your money, and you'll be doing the work, so it's up to you to decide based on your personal risk model.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android