IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My car got slower

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 10:36 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Taking a page from Cayman, I would launch around 1500-2000, but time the last yellow so I get that momentum push off the line. In otherwords, im not holding the RPMs up on the brake the whole time. That can push through the brakes or bog. Idealy, if the track prep is good and the tires are sticky, then stabbing the accelrator should be all you really need to do since 1st gear is fairly torquy. I never ran my IS-F below 64 degrees, but I know if I had some 40 degree weather i probably would have ran a 11.9-12.0 N/A.

~Dv8
Though I have tried launching from all sorts of rpm points including the ones you mentioned above, I too have found that it's best NOT to hold the RPMs up on the brake very long or even a high rpm. Here is a quote from my 11 second thread where I described my method, which coincides well with your momentum technique.

Originally Posted by caymandive
I understand how the 60' works, but what I'm saying is that on both occasions where I have got a 1.8x 60', I did not start brake torquing until the yellow lights started going down the tree. First yellow light I bring the rpms up to maybe 700, second yellow rpms up to around 900 and on the 3rd yellow I have the rpms up to around 1200 and let the momentum of the increasing rpms help me jump out of the hole.
Old 09-28-12, 11:08 AM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe,

What do you think the difference is between resetting from the fuses and disconnecting the battery? I thought it did the same thing besides losing the presets.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
FWIW.... I recently changed my battery on the IS-F.. The + & - terminals were unplugged for 3 days.

From time to time I like resetting my ECU, using the Fuse Pull procedure.
I have also done it by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes..

BUT this time I noticed a major difference in how the car responds and how it launches.. I feels like it did when I first bought it.. Plus the extra kick from the performance parts...

Try leaving the battery disconnected for a longer period.. or as long as you can...

Just my .02 cents

~ Joe Z
Old 09-28-12, 11:24 AM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Thanks for the launching advice DV8/Cayman. As far as track prep, Atco has pretty decent track prep. The conditions get worse as the night goes on. It is considered one of the fastest tracks in the country at only 33 ft above sea level.

Cayman, if it's not too far a drive we should meet up at the track. We might be able to get some NE ISF owners to show up and have a meet & track day.
Old 09-28-12, 06:27 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

My input is only about the battery reset theory...

Recently I've gone through several intake/exhaust variants from a Borla axle-back only, to the Borla+K&N intake, to K&N intake only, to K&N intake+JoeZ cat-back, to JoeZ cat-back only. In summary the car never felt like it adjusted properly via short install-interval battery disconnects.

My MPG was suffering through all of these changes. Like 16mpg city (for me this is not city blocks but rather long stretches of 60mph mountainous roads but with lots of random stoplights), 19 hwy.

Right now I have just the JoeZ exhaust (which I absolutely love and enjoy every day!) and figured it was my shifting later (to hear the exhaust more) causing the MPG decrease.

But a few weeks ago I unplugged the battery to install a nav/dvd bypass and I had a few drinks during and got distracted with other things and didn't plug the battery back in for a several hours. Since that install the car has felt SO much better! And MPGs have improved by 2-3MPG.

I honestly think there is something to the "unplug the battery for a longer time" theory. I can't explain it but shorter intervals of battery disconnect (like an intake install) didn't seem to let the ECU adjust to intake/exhaust mods as well as 1+ hours did.

So once I left it disconnected for an hour or so for audio mods, I felt like the car finally readjusted. I'm now back at 22-ish mpg on hwy and 17-18.5mpg city (still with the high-rpm shifting). Easily noticeably better for both city and hwy prior to the extended battery disconnect regardless of mods.

But I think the barometric pressure may be more of a factor to the OP. But I can corroborate that longer battery unpluggings DO seem to really help the ECU adjust. Sorry for the rambling, this may not help but I do think the ECU learns faster by longer battery disconnects.
Old 09-28-12, 06:52 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DHRP
Thanks for the launching advice DV8/Cayman. As far as track prep, Atco has pretty decent track prep. The conditions get worse as the night goes on. It is considered one of the fastest tracks in the country at only 33 ft above sea level.

Cayman, if it's not too far a drive we should meet up at the track. We might be able to get some NE ISF owners to show up and have a meet & track day.
I just signed up for a HPDE event at Summit Point, WV for the weekend of November 3rd if your interested. The drag strip is fun too, but I've kinda lost interest in them after hitting the track. You can spend a whole day at a drag strip and get a half dozen runs in or so, but compared to running the car all out for 20 minutes straight multiple times a day there is no comparison. I even sold my drag radial setup last year, but if something is planned and we can get a few F's together at Atco, I'd be down for it.