IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Pondering some exhaust ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 03:25 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CK9887
I like the idea of the straight pipes but from your thread it looks as if you kept the stock resonator and y pipe section. My resonator has been removed and its a custom dual set up from the cats back... So if I removed the secondary cats, it wouldn't be too raspy without the resonator?

Cut out those mufflers(str8 pipe it) and see how you like it. If you wanted the extra noise and a bit more hp the cut out those cats too. If its to raspy then you can add 2 resonators
Old 09-27-12, 04:25 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Does anyone ever do an X pipe ?
Old 09-27-12, 06:13 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

SUre everybody does
ISS...so does JoeZ's, Borla, Greddy
Old 09-27-12, 06:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,340 Posts

All after market dual exhaust systems, except SRT, uses an "X" pipe. I did on my custom fabricated system.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Pondering some exhaust ideas-exhaust6s.jpg  
Old 09-27-12, 08:43 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Cut out those mufflers(str8 pipe it) and see how you like it. If you wanted the extra noise and a bit more hp the cut out those cats too. If its to raspy then you can add 2 resonators
This. I have done what DCoolBeans did, cutting my mufflers and 2nd cats, and having stainless steel pipes put in place. I couldn't imagine driving without a resonator, it would be too raspy, If you want more noise, cut the mufflers. Here are some sound clips of my setup.

http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/...901_162117.mp4
Old 09-27-12, 09:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

We do it a special way....

"The siamesed X pipe is one of the PTS/Joe Z exhaust's biggest secrets, helping it produce a wide powerband. The siamesed X pipe helps low end torque and droning, and actually somewhat helps top end as well. The siamesed merge has a lot less restriction than a X cross merge.
We have had really good luck with this sort of merge on previous project cars over the traditional H pipe."

~ Joe Z
Old 09-27-12, 10:02 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh joe z after i installed the exhaust every so offten i hear a bump while driving do u think its the exhaust hitting the bumper? maybe i tightened the bolts wrong or something..i prolly did..ne advice to fixing it?
Old 09-27-12, 11:15 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 96817isf
heh joe z after i installed the exhaust every so offten i hear a bump while driving do u think its the exhaust hitting the bumper? maybe i tightened the bolts wrong or something..i prolly did..ne advice to fixing it?
Sure... Put it back on a lift and recheck your installation ....

However, the "bump sound" you have described in your other thread, would indicate to me it's a suspension noise...

~ Joe Z
Old 09-27-12, 11:27 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

na it only started after i installed the exhaust i think cause in the instructions it says to tighten from the front ot back i did it the other way back to front
Old 09-28-12, 08:32 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The car is an 08 IS-F, purchased from a board member here. He had a custom exhaust setup on the car, running Corsa mufflers. Stock cats, but from the cats back, it is dual pipes running into Corsa mufflers. From looking at pictures of stock IS-F exhaust, it looks like it's either the stock resonator or secondary cat that was removed when he had the exhaust work done?

The exhaust has a nice tone to it but I'm looking for something a little louder. I have owned several Vettes and other LS1 cars as well and this got me thinking. I was considering having some SLP loud mouth bullet mufflers installed in places of the larger Corsa mufflers. What are your opinions on this? Car does have stock headers and still has the first set of cats, so I don't know that the sound would be too raspy but the secondary cat or resonator (whichever it is) was removed.

I don't want too raspy but definitely something more aggressive than the Corsa's I'm running. If any of you have heard an LS1 car with SLP loud mouths, you'll know what I'm talking about.
I definately went through same thoughts. I previously had cammed 01FRC vette as well as a camaro. I decided initially to go a bit extreme and slap on headers remove all cats and run without mufflers to hear the full unleashed exhaut tone..Thus I could figure out what tones Ineeded to filter to aquire the raspy throaty sound I wanted...There ofcoarse is a science t getting the right tone, muffler length, size, wall thickness, aerosheilding, etc.. I can get you the info for the shop Iused the guy was so friendly we held up about 20 diff mufflers to test until I chose the magnaflow long tubes... My corvette previously had headers and B&B bullets which were amazing and feroucious sounding. PM and ill give you my number and we can talk more if you would like to much data to type...
Old 09-28-12, 08:41 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
We do it a special way....

"The siamesed X pipe is one of the PTS/Joe Z exhaust's biggest secrets..."

~ Joe Z
Soo frkn sweet!
Old 09-28-12, 09:53 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Sounds like the consensus is that without a resonator, it will be too raspy. so like DCoolBeans said, I will straight pipe the mufflers at first, leaving the cats and hopefully this will give me some more tone.
Old 09-28-12, 10:32 AM
Fondue
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Where in Texas are you at? I'm in San Antonio and have the 2nd cat and muffler delete if you want to here what that sounds like.
Old 09-28-12, 12:46 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

I'm in College Station... From the youtube clips, I'm pretty sure I'll like the sound.
Old 09-28-12, 01:43 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do straight pipes, learn from my mistake, and make sure the straight pipes don't hit the back of the diffuser. Make sure it is far from the back of the diffuser or cut the pipes a bit shorter. I've been lazy but I need to grind away part of the diffuser to prevent the pipe from hitting it.

Quick Reply: Pondering some exhaust ideas