IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking of picking an IS-F up

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 01:16 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of picking an IS-F up

Hey guys,

Got rid of my 08 M3 and now I miss having a quick DD. Does this IS-F fit my bill? Got rid of the M3 because its warranty was about to expire and I've have enough BMW's in my life to know not to own one when out of warranty. I've heard that Lexus is a different story.Truthfully, I've never been interested in Lexus before, although as I have matured I have come fond of them more and more.

I test drove a 2011 F and it was amazing.I drove a 08 as well and it almost felt the same, although the 2011 was a little more comfortable and maybe, just maybe it felt a little quicker? I'm looking for a cheaper DD that doesn't attract as much attention as the M3. So far I think this is the car I want. 08-09's are around/under 35k and 2011's are 50k+, are the 2011's worth the extra 15k? If i got a 08 i would be getting the 2012 headlights as they change the whole look of the car. How much does this mod cost? $2500 correct?

Thanks for reading and all the info guys.
Old 10-02-12, 01:28 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Buy a 2010+ they have real mechanical LSD. The 08-09 have a electronic LSD that uses the brake calipers to force the power to the outside wheel.

Funny I thought that the V8 M3 Sedan 6spd that I drove handled a bit better than the IS-F. I have also heard that the V8 M3 is pretty reliable.

The F does get attention as well.

The headlights without the LED in them have AFS which allows the light to turn when you turn the car. As I understand it if you upgrade the headlights you will lose that functionality as well as possibly having an "AFS error" light on your dash. Not sure how much it costs.

As far as modifications in general there isn't much. There are headers and exhausts, but no engine tuning available for any Toyota/Lexus. Not sure how it is in the BMW world, however coming from the GM LSx V8 motors, no tuning really turns me off to any modifications to the motor.
Old 10-02-12, 01:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if the 2011 is in your budget,,, go for it. it attracts attention IMO... a car guy or girl will do a double take (like me) there's a diff aura about an F as opposed to the 350 and 250. but i always do a double take on the F b/c i love that car. can't help with the HL/DRL mod price,,, i have a 2013 GS350 F-Sport. one of the F owners can help you with that. good luck with what you choose,,, 08/12 are both great cars.
Old 10-02-12, 02:02 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

The headlight mod is not $2500. The last group buy at Sewell, people got it for like $1200.
Old 10-02-12, 02:29 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

The ISF is definitely a better DD. It is more comfortable than an M3 (I had an E93 M3) and has much more torque which IMO makes the car much more enjoyable if driving in the city. Although the DCT is amazing it still isn't the same as having just a "regular" automatic like the ISF. The shifts seems to me more predictable in the ISF and thus more comfortable IMO and the interior of the ISF just has a more luxurious feel than the M3 which is geared more towards sportiness.

Kind of off topic but as far as DD's go, I think the 04-08 TSX's are hands down the best DD's. Good on gas, quick in the city, decently luxurious..
Old 10-02-12, 02:33 PM
Gotspd2
Driver School Candidate

I picked up an '08 with low miles for a decent price and I'm comfortable that a new one just wasn't worth the money (especially considering that mine is in exceptionally good condition) and I added a Lexus Platinum warranty for a reasonable price, so I have essentially the same warranty coverage I would have had if I'd bought new.
Old 10-02-12, 04:48 PM
nonford
Rookie

I went from an M3 to an M6 right into an 11 ISF. Alot of my friends thought I was nutz, to include me. But, the BMW's are not even in my memory. Toyota did a great job with this vehicle. Two of my friends were so surprised and actually were swayed towards the ISF after their up close and personnel experience. I really enjoy this car and don't miss the BMW DONG!!!!! I'm sure you know what I am referring to.

That said, I think you'd prefer the 11 plus makes and that's due to the suspension updates
Old 10-02-12, 04:55 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Just do it ! you'll very happy with it. No regrets for this life
Old 10-02-12, 05:16 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nonford
I went from an M3 to an M6 right into an 11 ISF. Alot of my friends thought I was nutz, to include me. But, the BMW's are not even in my memory. Toyota did a great job with this vehicle. Two of my friends were so surprised and actually were swayed towards the ISF after their up close and personnel experience. I really enjoy this car and don't miss the BMW DONG!!!!! I'm sure you know what I am referring to.

That said, I think you'd prefer the 11 plus makes and that's due to the suspension updates
An M3 driver cam over in the lot, ended up in my car, and was hard pressed to leave until I promised a ride in the weeks ahead. Loved everything about it, and the sound of the exhaust made him crazy.
Old 10-02-12, 05:53 PM
dwin888
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the 2011! You won't regret it! Theres not much ISFs in BC too
Old 10-02-12, 06:33 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Got an 08 myself, never driven a newer model, don't really want to.

The mechanical LSD is nice sure but you aren't really going to notice that unless you track the car. People say the 08 ride is too stiff but I sure don't think so, after all if you want a comfortable ride buy a Caddy.

The only thing the newer models have that I wish my 08 had was the new seats, I love that alcantara/leather mix.
Old 10-02-12, 07:08 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

I notice it in my 08 and i dont track it....but i drive very aggressively.
Old 10-02-12, 07:12 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Oh..well I guess I stand corrected lol I haven't noticed it but I only drive aggressively on the weekends on the way to cars and coffee, otherwise its a 4 mile commute each way to work where I'm lucky to get the oil to 3 bars by the time I make it to my parking spot haha
Old 10-02-12, 07:26 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow where are you getting a '09 for $35K in the 604 area?

Last I checked, besides a '08 US import going for $39K, they're still asking at or above the $45K range here. If you can get it for $35K for a Canadian car without significant accident history I say go for it.

Would be nice to see one more on the road here (vs. the one a month rate I see now). (Just saw a white one today driven by a lady.)

I have an '08 and got the '12 headlights. It's $1200 when Sewell has a groupbuy but if you're shipping it across the border add higher shipping cost and expect duties on it once it gets here. (Non-NAFTA duties too) And then there's the installation.

Good luck! I love mine.
Old 10-02-12, 07:53 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have an 08 with 12 headlights and love it, when the chance comes ill also pick up the 2012 wheels. But ive decided to take it slow and enjoy. I extended my lexus platinum warranty for four years for around 1700. Ive also added subs for deeper bass and put down some sound deadening. Also a hard wired V1 and window tint. Aside from that I really only think I would do coilovers one day oh and I just bought a Vais ML+ which brings the stereo into 2012.

Quick Reply: Thinking of picking an IS-F up