IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

JL Audio 10w6v2 and 600/1v3 installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 10:42 PM
08F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL Audio 10w6v2 and 600/1v3 installed

After countless hours of 'learning' on this forum, I decided to install some goodies. Got the JL 10w6v2 installed in the Majic box designed for the ISx50/F and powered by the new black slash JL 600/1v3. For the line out converter, I went with the AudioControl LC2 and have just the sub + and - wires along with the remote going to it and then straight to the amp. Upon listening to it, It just doesn't sound right.........It has a muffled sound and almost seems a half second late on the bass. It just doesn't have that tight, clean bass that I was expecting. I have made some minor adjustments on the amp settings per the manual and research but I have not properly set the gain per what is recommended from JL. Right now, the gain is at 1/4, Input voltage is High, Amp Lp filter is at 12db and 80hz. The LC2 setttings are in the middle on every setting (from the factory). I don't know if the issues lies with the LC2 being the wrong choice or maybe not tapping front woofer signals as some members have done, or maybe the Magic Box being 0.9cuft when JL recommends 0.625cuft?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-12, 09:31 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd tap the sub and fronts. Actually, I tapped about everything, but I also replaced many speakers. I used the Audiocontrol LC6i and got 1 clean signal to the amp. Sounds great. You do, need to set the gains on the audiocontrol properly to get rid of any his, but you shouldn't hear any coming from a sub only install.
Old 10-18-12, 01:11 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a PAC hi-low converter...the LC2 is overkill if your only tapping the sub. I personally dont have any issues and run 2 12" W6 in my car.

Some people tap the front door speakers which is mid bass, I keep my bass on the head unit to +2 and my gain on my aftermarket subs down low and it sounds clean. When I do turn up the gain (I have a **** under the steering wheel) it sets off alarms...makes everything rattle...etc etc.
Old 10-18-12, 02:30 PM
08F
Driver School Candidate

So I took the car down to a certified JL audio installer and had him listen to the setup. He said all the wiring was correct and that he agreed there was no need to tap anything besides the factory sub. He did make some minor adjustments to the 600//v3 while listening to some Nickelback and agreed that the sub just didn't sound quite right. His conclusion is that the Magic Box of 0.9cu ft. is too large for the sub and that I am getting a lot of "boomy" bass instead of tight bass similar to what you would hear out of a bad ported box. The recommended sealed enclosure box is 0.625cu ft. His final thoughts were to contact JL Audio support for additional info.
So I contacted JL Audio support and told him the situation and right off the bat he said that my box was too big for the sub and that is causing the sub to sound differently that is would at the recommended box specs. He said to put some wood in it to reduce air space if I want to keep the same box. Anyone had similar issues with the design of this box??
Old 10-18-12, 03:00 PM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This should be pretty easy to test out. Just put some 2x4's inside the box. Measure the actual dimensions of the 2x4, since they're not actually 2" x 4", multiply those two dimensions by the length (all in inches), and divide by 1728. This will give you the volume of the wood in cubic feet.

Since you want to go from .9 to .625, alter the length you need until you come up with .275. Throw inside the box and see if the sound improves. If it does, then you can look for a more permanent solution to reduce the box's volume.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-12, 06:04 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

I have a jl-jx-500 amp running to my alumapro 10 sub and it was nice and clean bass but I just blew the sub. sending it back to alumapro to see of the frequency was set incorrectly or had to much power running to it.
The shop let me borrow a power bass 12 inch sub in the interim and it is pretty decent. I probably should have went with a jl sub as well from the start
Old 10-18-12, 07:34 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I woulld add the wood and if you need to make it perm. then glue it in
Old 10-18-12, 08:11 PM
08F
Driver School Candidate

I will give the wood idea a shot. Its interesting that on the website where I got the box from http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...7&cat=6&page=1 it is stated that the box is built around the specs of the 10W7 to a 0.9cu ft box but on the JL Audio site they recommend 1.25cu ft of air space in a sealed enclosure. I know that's not the sub I have, but I wouldn't agree that it's designed around that sub.
Old 10-18-12, 08:25 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any chance you have the polarity incorrect on the subwoofer?
Old 10-18-12, 08:28 PM
08F
Driver School Candidate

Well......I took pictures of part of the install but I don't have them on a http:// Is there a way to upload pics from my computer?
Old 10-18-12, 08:32 PM
08F
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way for me to measure the cu ft of the box? I know it's advertised as a 0.9 but I would like to verify if a method is possible. Since it is a molded enclosure, obviously I can't do LxWxH.
Old 10-18-12, 09:35 PM
RC5000
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF4SALE
Is there a way for me to measure the cu ft of the box? I know it's advertised as a 0.9 but I would like to verify if a method is possible. Since it is a molded enclosure, obviously I can't do LxWxH.
Fill it with styrofoam packing peanuts then dump the peanuts into a cardboard box and measure the box/filled height to calculate your volume.
Old 10-19-12, 07:10 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RC5000
Fill it with styrofoam packing peanuts then dump the peanuts into a cardboard box and measure the box/filled height to calculate your volume.
Or you can use sugar/salt/sand (whichever is more convenient) for a more accurate measurement.
Old 10-19-12, 08:42 AM
08F
Driver School Candidate

I like the sand idea. I thinking i can line the box with a trash bag and then fill it with sand for easy cleanup. Afterwards, I can use the sand on my bermuda grass so it doesn't go to waste.
Old 10-19-12, 10:23 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Let us know what you find out. Good luck.

Quick Reply: JL Audio 10w6v2 and 600/1v3 installed