IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BMW 335I or Lexus ISF ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 08:16 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
So, really your question is whether or not the IS-F is worth ~$15K more than the 335i, right? When you spend more money, you expect to get more car. The IS-F is more car than the 335i without a doubt. Whether or not you need or want more car is only something you can answer. My wife would be just as happy with the IS350 and the extra money in her pocket rather than the IS-F. When I was shopping around, she even suggested I get the IS350 instead. I had to politely tell her that isn't even on my radar.

I would definitely suggest you get the 335i rather than stretch your budget to an uncomfortable level to squeeze into an IS-F. However if you can comfortably afford either, get the IS-F. You'll appreciate having the better car if you're a car guy like most of us on this forum.
Amen! Buy the 335 as you cannot afford the better car yet.
Old 10-22-12, 10:17 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ISF/M3/C63AMG are in a different class than the 335i.

Class and prestige matter at this level.

You might as well compare a JB4 335i that does low 12s to an brand new stock V8 Audi R8 and say "well a chip and a tune the 335i will smoke the Audi R8!"

Yeah, that's great, but I'd rather have the Audi R8. This is a $110k-$120k semi-exotic we're talking about compared to an entry level chipped luxury car that may be faster in a straight line.

Or how about comparing a chipped 335i to a Maserati GranTurismo S (433 bhp, 0 to 60 in mid to high 4s, 1/4 mile in mid to high 12s). Whoa no way, a jb4 tuned 335i beats a $130k Maserati in a straight line!!!

We can play this game all day.

Some cars are easy to modify (335i). Some cars aren't (most N/A engines like the E92 M3 and the ISF). We get that. This is nothing new.

But it makes no sense to compare two cars that aren't in the same "prestige" class.

I think in its class (335i/IS350/G37), the 335i is the best of the bunch if you prioritize aftermarket support over reliability. Being naturally aspirated, it's much more difficult to add power to the IS350 and G37.

If you don't care about class or prestige and you care more about going fast in a straight line while having solid luxury/comfort/refinement, then the 335i may be right for you. Are you the kind of guy who would rather drive a supercharged Mustang 5.0 doing 11s in the 1/4 mile over a stock Audi R8 or stock GranTurismo? I mean there's no right or wrong answer to this. If the answer is "yes I'd rather drive a supercharged ~$40k Mustang 5.0 doing 11s in the quarter mile" then you simply care more about straight line speed than prestige.

I'm not one of those guys, however. If it were me, I'd choose the F (or M3, or C63 AMG) over the 335i.
Old 10-22-12, 10:18 PM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by ISF001
It just so happens the M3 and 335 have the same 4.7 and 155 top end...the M3 does the quarter in the 12s vs 13s.

Motortrend just did a track test of the F and, again, matched the M3. The big difference: the F was loads of fun to drive.
Dont think your right about your 4.7 #'s.... I have searched all around and found M3 0-60 times of 4.1 to 4.4. Never seen an 4.7..... Also, the 335, I have seen as low as 4.9 to as high as 5.5. While close, a stock 335 would not have the same 0-60 as a stock M3.....
Old 10-22-12, 10:22 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CCLSVTF
Dont think your right about your 4.7 #'s.... I have searched all around and found M3 0-60 times of 4.1 to 4.4. Never seen an 4.7..... Also, the 335, I have seen as low as 4.9 to as high as 5.5. While close, a stock 335 would not have the same 0-60 as a stock M3.....
This is pretty much exactly what I've seen as far as the IS350/ISF are concerned.

3rd party tests peg the IS350's 0 to 60 in as low as 4.9 seconds (Road and Track) and as high as 5.1 (Car and Driver), or 5.2 (Motortrend).

I've seen 0 to 60 times for the 335i as low as 4.8 (Road and Track) and as high as 5.1.

For the F I've seen 0 to 60 as low as 4.1 (1/4 mile as low as 12.4 or 12.5) and as high as 4.4 seconds, mimicking the M3's numbers.
Old 10-22-12, 11:41 PM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by dmvp29
This is pretty much exactly what I've seen as far as the IS350/ISF are concerned.

3rd party tests peg the IS350's 0 to 60 in as low as 4.9 seconds (Road and Track) and as high as 5.1 (Car and Driver), or 5.2 (Motortrend).

I've seen 0 to 60 times for the 335i as low as 4.8 (Road and Track) and as high as 5.1.

For the F I've seen 0 to 60 as low as 4.1 (1/4 mile as low as 12.4 or 12.5) and as high as 4.4 seconds, mimicking the M3's numbers.
I checked R&T and searched "is 350," I paged through 5 pages dating back to 08/12/10. I found no articles about the IS 350.

I did find an article dated in 2006 about the IS 350 having a 0-60 time of 5.5 sec. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...omparison.html. Found a second MT article that had the is 359 0-60 time of 5.6 sec, http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/lexus/is350/

As per the 335, MT just did an article on the new 335 with a 0-60 time of 4.7. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...5i_first_test/
R&T has a 2011 335 0-60 at 4.6, http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/up...2011-bmw-335is

I also found a C&D article where they have the ISF 0-60 at 4.7 sec. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review. MT had the ISF at 4.5, http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._f_first_test/
C&D has the 08 ISF at 4.4 sec, http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/ca...us_is_f_page_2

C&D also did a 2012 M3 against C63 AMG and the M3 0-60 was 4.3. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...g-coupe-page-2

I got tired of researching.... Just saying.... On average I see the ISF at about 4.5 sec. The M3 at 4.3 sec, the 335 at 4.7 sec, the IS 350, not sure....
Old 10-23-12, 12:26 AM
Hector2992
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmvp29
The ISF/M3/C63AMG are in a different class than the 335i.

Class and prestige matter at this level.

You might as well compare a JB4 335i that does low 12s to an brand new stock V8 Audi R8 and say "well a chip and a tune the 335i will smoke the Audi R8!"

Yeah, that's great, but I'd rather have the Audi R8. This is a $110k-$120k semi-exotic we're talking about compared to an entry level chipped luxury car that may be faster in a straight line.

Or how about comparing a chipped 335i to a Maserati GranTurismo S (433 bhp, 0 to 60 in mid to high 4s, 1/4 mile in mid to high 12s). Whoa no way, a jb4 tuned 335i beats a $130k Maserati in a straight line!!!

We can play this game all day.

Some cars are easy to modify (335i). Some cars aren't (most N/A engines like the E92 M3 and the ISF). We get that. This is nothing new.

But it makes no sense to compare two cars that aren't in the same "prestige" class.

I think in its class (335i/IS350/G37), the 335i is the best of the bunch if you prioritize aftermarket support over reliability. Being naturally aspirated, it's much more difficult to add power to the IS350 and G37.

If you don't care about class or prestige and you care more about going fast in a straight line while having solid luxury/comfort/refinement, then the 335i may be right for you. Are you the kind of guy who would rather drive a supercharged Mustang 5.0 doing 11s in the 1/4 mile over a stock Audi R8 or stock GranTurismo? I mean there's no right or wrong answer to this. If the answer is "yes I'd rather drive a supercharged ~$40k Mustang 5.0 doing 11s in the quarter mile" then you simply care more about straight line speed than prestige.

I'm not one of those guys, however. If it were me, I'd choose the F (or M3, or C63 AMG) over the 335i.
I didn't think I would receive all this feedback lol but I really appreciate all the help. I am and always will be all about speed and style being unique I hate mustangs and Camaros cause every other guy has one haha
Old 10-23-12, 01:00 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i was going to buy the e92 m3, that was almost my dream car...until i drove it. talk about boring. trust me, i love the look of bmw but no one even take second looks at the 335i. where i live, that's what high school kids drive. sometimes it's not just the reliability. everyone that has the is-f can afford to buy the m3 or a couple of of 335Is. im just not a m3 fanboy anymore. i felt like i was getting a lot for the money with the lexus. with the bmw, to have every option like the lexus, i rather get a car like the GTR.
Old 10-23-12, 02:48 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by Hector2992
I didn't think I would receive all this feedback lol but I really appreciate all the help. I am and always will be all about speed and style being unique I hate mustangs and Camaros cause every other guy has one haha
Oh yeah, a few more things I just remembered. The sound system in the ISF is so much better then the BMW... My M3, if I turned it up all the way, there was distortion. In the ISF its sounds crystal clear all the way up... Lastly, I hated the center console in the BMW. It slide back and forward. There was no lock like the ISF or handle to slide it forward or back. So I would be driving and it would just slide back on me... Really annoying....
Old 10-23-12, 05:50 AM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleepyray
Sometime....enjoy a car it's not all about horsepower...For me, it's about how classy my Lexus is, it is a unique and rare car to begin with. It turns heads when you drive down the street. Alot of people never heard or saw an aggressive Lexus like our car ever before. They always asked, "is that a Lexus? What kind of Lexus is this? Do all those brake and body kit comes with the factory?"
For example...for the price of a ISF, even it is used...it's still over $35k.
for that price, if you want more horsepower....I will recommand you get a brand new 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 (420hp) for that price, and with a tons of aftermarket parts and affortable price....it can out run ISF or M3 in no time. And it also looks good and aggressive.

Just my two cents.
Hope you get to join our F family in the future.
Good luck!!!
Well put. Amen to that.
Old 10-23-12, 07:31 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
It just so happens the M3 and 335 have the same 4.7 and 155 top end...the M3 does the quarter in the 12s vs 13s.

Motortrend just did a track test of the F and, again, matched the M3. The big difference: the F was loads of fun to drive.
Recent testing by Car and Driver magazine has shown that the 2011 M3 (E90) equipped with an M-DCT transmission accelerated from 0–60 mph in 3.9 seconds and went on to record a 12.4
That had to the the Vert's specs.
Old 10-23-12, 09:12 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP, I think a test drive is in order. A lot of the differing aspects of BMW's and Lexus's are subjective, such as luxury, suspension feel, etc. It's a known fact that BMW will always be more mod-friendly. So it's up to you what you want to do. You can make any car fast with mods, depending on how widely available the aftermarket parts are. I can mod my 140HP integra to be faster than my ISF if I wanted......but there's no point because I want luxury, speed, and rarity all in one package. At the end of the day you need to test drive both and decide what's best.
Old 10-23-12, 10:52 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see... I've had an IS250, then bought a 335i, then bought a GT-R, then a 2011 535i, then an IS-F.

Here's my lowerd tuned 2008 BMW 335i that I absolutely loved!

Indeed, it was a VERY quick car. I remember having fun with a Viper and "hanging" with it 2 days before I traded it for the GT-R. I think you'd really enjoy a 335i. I just got tired of all the problems I had with it. Every time I took it in for a problem or maintenance, I had to take the piggy back out. I was always nervous with getting warranty work done. Low pressure fuel pump, high pressure fuel pump, sensors, gas door broke twice, constantly adding oil almost every 2k miles, etc... I got sick of walking the thin line and thought about trading for an IS-F, but couldn't justify paying 10-15k more for a car that was most likely slower than my Bimmer. So, I went out and got a GT-R. Time went by and my wife and I decided we wanted our second child so I got rid of the GT-R and got a brand new BMW 535i. Nicest car I ever had, but just no fun to it. 8 months later I traded for a brand new IS-F and I LOVE it. Go with what you can afford, but if you have the means...get the F. Fast out of the box and no concerns with reliability or compromising your warranty.
Old 10-23-12, 11:33 AM
Hector2992
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Let's see... I've had an IS250, then bought a 335i, then bought a GT-R, then a 2011 535i, then an IS-F.

Indeed, it was a VERY quick car. I remember having fun with a Viper and "hanging" with it 2 days before I traded it for the GT-R. I think you'd really enjoy a 335i. I just got tired of all the problems I had with it. Every time I took it in for a problem or maintenance, I had to take the piggy back out. I was always nervous with getting warranty work done. Low pressure fuel pump, high pressure fuel pump, sensors, gas door broke twice, constantly adding oil almost every 2k miles, etc... I got sick of walking the thin line and thought about trading for an IS-F, but couldn't justify paying 10-15k more for a car that was most likely slower than my Bimmer. So, I went out and got a GT-R. Time went by and my wife and I decided we wanted our second child so I got rid of the GT-R and got a brand new BMW 535i. Nicest car I ever had, but just no fun to it. 8 months later I traded for a brand new IS-F and I LOVE it. Go with what you can afford, but if you have the means...get the F. Fast out of the box and no concerns with reliability or compromising your warranty.

You sir have owned pretty much every single car I want lol.. I test drove a 335i today I loved its way way faster than my is250 a lot more fun to drive but I'm waiting to test drive a isf later this week.
Old 10-23-12, 11:38 AM
Hector2992
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee

Gorgeous 335 btw
Old 10-23-12, 11:59 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

In conclusion, if the 335 is properly modded, it will destroy the ISF.

Quick Reply: BMW 335I or Lexus ISF ?