Defratos
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Very nice pics
Old 10-22-12, 11:20 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, makes me want to hit the track bad!
Old 10-22-12, 12:18 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sweet shots and a bunch of nice rides! Was this held at Autobahn?
Old 10-22-12, 12:23 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Well it certainly looks like the IS-F is at home on the track, doing what it was built to do. Great pics. Tell us more about the track day in general... what kind of lap times did you put down compared to some of the other cars that were out there?
Old 10-22-12, 08:41 PM
tonyrd1
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pics, love the 350z shot
Old 10-22-12, 08:55 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Those are great pictures and looks like a total blast! I would love to do that.
Old 11-04-12, 01:04 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for taking in the pics everyone, hope it inspired a lot of you to do the same. It is a travesty to not to take your car out to your local road course track, modified or not. The only reason why you shouldn't is because your tires are worn to the metal. These events are not a race, but a fun-as-heck learning event hosted by very professional people and groups. Sorry for the late response to some of your inquires by the way.

Originally Posted by vbb
Well it certainly looks like the IS-F is at home on the track, doing what it was built to do. Great pics. Tell us more about the track day in general... what kind of lap times did you put down compared to some of the other cars that were out there?
Track day was fantastic, sunny and clear at 85F. I'm not at a point, where I worry about track times yet, although I should be soon. This is my 3rd time at this track, but 1st experience with the full track as oppose to just half of the track. My goal in the three experiences has been pretty much to learn the car (e.g., traction control on/off, KW V3 settings, etc.) and the track itself (knowing the line so I can drive safely and learn to drive correctly with other cars that are slower/faster).

I don't have an iPhone yet, but when I do, I will buy this cool app, as a lap timer and video recorder. http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html Here is a youtube video of the app in action on a 911 GTS. Pretty cool if you ask me. There is an android one from another company, but it was very poor. It was not usable.

Originally Posted by ISFSteve
Those are great pictures and looks like a total blast! I would love to do that.
Thanks, it's good to have friends with the right camera equipment.

Originally Posted by EGI IS350
Sweet shots and a bunch of nice rides! Was this held at Autobahn?
Yes, it was at the Autobahn, hosted by MVP Track Time. I recommend them. The organizer Mark does it more, as a hobby and has his own race car. http://mvptracktime.com/ It was my first time with the full track opened at the Autobahn. Normally, the full track gets divided into two and non-members are relegated to the South course. The full track was FUN to say the least.

Originally Posted by CK9887
Thanks for the new desktop background photo...
How did you do on the straights compared to some of the faster cars there?
You're welcome. I had great photographer friends that day. On the straights, it was no problem with cars that are lesser than the IS-F, which was about 75% of the cars there. Vettes, Viper, MP4-12C, F430 Scuderia, etc., I had no chance in the straights. I could gain some ground at the turns, due to some of their inexperience, but on the straights, there was no catching up. There were a couple of M3s and they really impressed me. They looked stocked and so I assumed the drivers had limited experience and I had a hard time keeping up with them. I will concede that the M3 handles much better, as been purported by a lot of people. Being able to keep up with the new 911, was pretty cool, I thought.

If the track event is being held by a good group like MVP, then most of the time, there is also a sports photography company that joins in. They have photographers at each corner taking pictures to sell you later on, similar to an amusement park, I guess. Having pictures of your experience is awesome.

Last edited by PurduePete; 11-04-12 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-04-12, 06:17 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Props, you had fun and thats what its all about!

All the pics came out amazing, another great way to remember your experience. You had a bunch of nice cars out there.

That Iphone track app is frkn sweet
Old 11-04-12, 10:52 PM
gtrnaisf
Rookie

Nice photos! and your car looks so nice as well!
Old 11-04-12, 11:10 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Love those beautiful NSX's! Especially the Imola Orange one!
Old 11-04-12, 11:26 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Your car looks great and so does everything else.
Old 11-05-12, 06:20 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kevin.IS
Your car looks great and so does everything else.
Thanks Kevin.

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Love those beautiful NSX's! Especially the Imola Orange one!
An NSX, tatefully modded is always my favorite.

Rarely is the full track open to non-members of Autobahn. I've been to other events hosted by other groups and it is always half the track. But MVP Track Time was able to get the full track on this day. By the way, membership to this private track is about $30K a year...

Here is a link to a video of the full course from an S2K that day, so you can get some perspective.

http://vimeo.com/47074308.

If you haven't done this before, the footage can look scary fast. In addition, this video seems to make it look faster than it really is.... What I mean is that once you're comfortable (after a few laps), you don't even look at your speedo anymore. I avoid looking at the speedo, b/c it can damper the adrenaline rush..... The only time you should look at your instrument cluster is to glance down at the tach to minimize redlining....

Because you're in control of your car (with confidence) on how it behaves and due to not looking at your speedo much, everything seems to slow down and you feel much more in-tune and comfortable with your F (man and machine as one.....lol), you're no longing thinking, "OMG, I gotta slow down, this is too F'in fast....lol." 100 mph feels like 60 mph on a straightaway and all you're thinking about is catching up to the supercar in front of you (b/c of that silky smooth NA V8), like say the new Porsche 911...... At a good designed track like the Autobahn, each straightaway following a corner is only long enough for you to WOT and sample the small taste of the adrenaline rush before you have to hit the brakes for the next corner. Now you see why tracking is so addictive? Straightaways are the only part of the track where you are allowed to pass. Imagine passing another car, especially one that is more powerful than yours, or at least keep up with one during this 5-10 second adrenaline filled WOT/PTTM (pedal-to-the-metal) rush of pure…….ecstasy. It's true like racecar drivers and athletes will say, when you're in this adrenaline rush, everything else around you just slows down without worry.... Then when the corner comes up, having the satisfaction, confidence, and security blanket that your brakes will slow you down as soon as you push on it, just makes it even more addicting, in anticipation for the next straightaway. The corners are where you need to come to your senses, come down to earth, and get technical. Attacking the corner, (i.e., approaching one, and coming out of one) is where you make up your time or catch up to the Aventador that just passed you silly, so you can’t be all high like you were in the straighaway….lol.

This is why tracking is addictive folks. You have a car that is not only luxurious and gives great fuel economy during your dog days of the week, but one that on the weekends can turn into a beast and beat 75% of all the cars you encounter at the track and all with outstanding reliability.

By the way, the only track mods I have on my car are KV V3 suspension, Cusco front upper brace, and some good P-Zero summer tires (most important track mod are good tires). Brakes are stock. My brakes are fairly new from the brake squeal LSB, and after 3 track events, they're still good without any signs of stress or cracks. After this experience, I am in no hurry to get rid of my stock and dusty brake pads. They might be dusty as *****, but damn it, they perform as intended! Let me add myself to the line that Lobuxracer is in to accept handouts from F owners who replace their stock brake pads prematurely b/c they can't deal with the dust......
Old 11-05-12, 06:28 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Looking good ku
Old 11-05-12, 08:33 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Thanks cu!...
Old 11-05-12, 09:01 PM
darbs242