IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Battery suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 05:02 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ I used to race back & fourth to work in DTLA everyday.. Does that still count ??

Joe Z
The following users liked this post:
ChpEng (09-23-20)
Old 09-22-20, 07:04 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

My car gets a respectable workout from time to time in the street, so I value my performance mods every day that I drive it
Joe Z (09-22-20)
Old 09-22-20, 10:22 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 105 Posts

Anybody hear of Arc Angel batteries? Looks fairly new, lifepo4, 45ah, 1000 cca, 16 lbs, and only $420 (group 24f). 10 year warranty. The battery on my evo just crapped out from sitting for 6 months so I'm going to get their group 35 with the battery tender Joe Z uses. This is close to half the cost of Lance's Antigravity battery, which is the battery I was going to eventually get for the F.
Old 09-23-20, 08:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,388 Posts

My experience with a 24 Ah battery tells me 45 is way overkill, and that battery weighs nearly twice what mine does. Cost cutting is in the BMS, not the cells, so I'd want to see some history of these batteries being installed in street vehicles before saying it's a great deal.

Don't get me wrong, if they can produce a battery with a solid pedigree at that price point, I'll be their next customer. There's nothing holding me to any particular brand. I can only speak to my experience with one brand right now, and there are a few members on CL running Antigravity batteries. That's a lot of why I chose them.
Old 09-23-20, 01:17 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
My experience with a 24 Ah battery tells me 45 is way overkill, and that battery weighs nearly twice what mine does. Cost cutting is in the BMS, not the cells, so I'd want to see some history of these batteries being installed in street vehicles before saying it's a great deal.

Don't get me wrong, if they can produce a battery with a solid pedigree at that price point, I'll be their next customer. There's nothing holding me to any particular brand. I can only speak to my experience with one brand right now, and there are a few members on CL running Antigravity batteries. That's a lot of why I chose them.
The BMS on the antigravity is cool for sure. I see dodge hellcat guys using these arc angel batteries. Haven't seen one bad review yet. It's the cheapest LiFePO4 battery I've seen thus far too (besides backyard specials). I'll update this thread in some months with my experience with it.
Old 09-23-20, 02:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Their Group 51 is the same physical size as the Antigravity I am running. It has 6 more Ah, so I imagine they've got a cell or two more in it... Price is killer at $380, and before anyone says that's stupid expensive, consider it has a 10 YEAR warranty. Might be the last battery you'll ever buy AND it won't crack, leak hydrogen, and corrode everything near it. It also won't spill. $3 a month for a battery with zero lead acid issues is crazy cheap to me.

Also, claimed weight is 1 pound more than AG, but less than a pound compared to my measured weight on my AG battery.
Rickna (09-23-20)
Old 09-23-20, 03:11 PM
Jwconeil

So there are no concerns with the lithium PO4 type batteries with fire? I am not a chemist, so what they are made of doesn’t help me understand the safety part of it all. Maybe lithium is just a heresy word since the original lithium batteries had fire issues?
Old 09-23-20, 04:36 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

There are a bunch of different cathodes used in Li batteries, and the LiFePO4 cathode is the safest out of all of them thus far, as those batteries don't heat up as much as other Li batteries do. The BMS system is continuously being optimized by the guy who makes them, according to an Amazon comment made by Arc Angel batteries.
Old 09-24-20, 05:47 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I just replaced a Bosch AGM with a Champion AGM. Had the car on a battery tender for the past few weeks and for whatever reason the Bosch was completely dead. Will keep an eye on the voltage for the next few days to see if maybe my battery tender is faulty. Either way, the new Champion battery was a free replacement and I like that the colors match the RR Racing intake lid.

Joe Z (09-24-20)
Old 03-13-21, 12:20 PM
Jwconeil

Let’s get back into this. As you may have seen from my other thread, I murdered a Costco battery by letting it discharge too often.

I drive my ISF very often in the summer, and then it sits from November - March / April. I run it up to temp about once a month. I now know I need a tender.

I went to swap my battery today, and was offered a full refund, so I took it. I want to go with a battery better suited to my winter storage, and some weight loss would be great as well. I’m just not sure the anti-gravity battery, currently priced at 750 (plus I still need a tender) is a price I want to stomach. The archangel battery sounds good. Any reviews or input?

Another option, IllWilliam has been impressed by the Oddysey PC680, which is very light and cheap. I’m not sure that will work on a car driving in fluctuating temps, as his is a stripped race car.

Any input is appreciated. Please talk to me like I’m 5. I didn’t even know there were different kinds of batteries in existence until this thread started last year. I could use help on battery and matching tender options.

Please also point out any sales your privy too on non lead acid batteries.

My ultimate goal is a family friendly track car. I bought a house and I’m remodeling a large garage, so my car build sort of went on hold. Regardless, I don’t want to go back to a heavy led acid battery.

Finally, the F is currently battery less. I’d imagine that won’t cause any problems... but if I need to get something into it ASAP, let me know.
Old 03-13-21, 12:26 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Their Group 51 is the same physical size as the Antigravity I am running. It has 6 more Ah, so I imagine they've got a cell or two more in it... Price is killer at $380, and before anyone says that's stupid expensive, consider it has a 10 YEAR warranty. Might be the last battery you'll ever buy AND it won't crack, leak hydrogen, and corrode everything near it. It also won't spill. $3 a month for a battery with zero lead acid issues is crazy cheap to me.

Also, claimed weight is 1 pound more than AG, but less than a pound compared to my measured weight on my AG battery.
Further education needed for me. If our car needs a group 24, is it safe to run a group 51? At this price and weight, it’s a steal if it’ll work in our cars. I’m not sure what the group number means, nor what BMS means?
Old 03-13-21, 02:08 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,326 Posts

^^^^The Group No. tells you the batter dimensions:

https://raybuck.com/automotive-battery-dimensions/

Also tells you the polarity.

BMS

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/applic...ent-system-bms

Lou
Jwconeil (03-13-21)
Old 03-13-21, 05:46 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Let’s get back into this. As you may have seen from my other thread, I murdered a Costco battery by letting it discharge too often.

I drive my ISF very often in the summer, and then it sits from November - March / April. I run it up to temp about once a month. I now know I need a tender.

I went to swap my battery today, and was offered a full refund, so I took it. I want to go with a battery better suited to my winter storage, and some weight loss would be great as well. I’m just not sure the anti-gravity battery, currently priced at 750 (plus I still need a tender) is a price I want to stomach. The archangel battery sounds good. Any reviews or input?

Another option, IllWilliam has been impressed by the Oddysey PC680, which is very light and cheap. I’m not sure that will work on a car driving in fluctuating temps, as his is a stripped race car.

Any input is appreciated. Please talk to me like I’m 5. I didn’t even know there were different kinds of batteries in existence until this thread started last year. I could use help on battery and matching tender options.

Please also point out any sales your privy too on non lead acid batteries.

My ultimate goal is a family friendly track car. I bought a house and I’m remodeling a large garage, so my car build sort of went on hold. Regardless, I don’t want to go back to a heavy led acid battery.

Finally, the F is currently battery less. I’d imagine that won’t cause any problems... but if I need to get something into it ASAP, let me know.
A battery tender is nice for the antigravity battery, but lithium holds residual charge much better than conventional batteries. Also with the restart battery from antigravity if the charge from the battery falls too low it will shut off, until you push the restart button to get it running again.

I did a lot of research with archangel before going with antigravity. The prices on the website are no longer accurate as the owner/engineer is revamping the battery line. In some cases they are actually more expensive than the antigravity equivalent. Unfortunately, there are some batteries that show in stock that are also not in stock. He is very responsive through email and it's been a few months so it wouldn't hurt to see where he is at.

It also might be worth giving antigravity a call, while the Black Friday sale was a very good sale, I believe they do other sales throughout the year, and they might give you a hint when the next one might be.

I picked up an antigravity during the black friday sale, honestly it's a bit of an experiment. In terms of best deal you cannot go wrong with getting a costco battery as they generally do die before the warranty is up. And as you noticed they don't prorate the warranty, they give you back your purchase price. So for a nominal increase in price you get another battery. But you are paying for it with weight. If the antigravity lasts as long as they say, 7 years or more, it might be worth it. If it dies in less than 5 years (there is a warranty) or at 5 years (no more warranty), then I'd be less than happy regarding the investment.
Old 03-13-21, 06:17 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Why are you guys need a battery tender? Maybe im the first to get this antigravity , to be exact i purchased this batt last Nov 11, 2018. I drop it and crack it a year ago but it didnt give me any single problem until this time. I believe RR racing are selling the Antigravity at $400+.

Last edited by ljdsong; 03-13-21 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-13-21, 07:19 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by ljdsong
Why are you guys need a battery tender? Maybe im the first to get this antigravity , to be exact i purchased this batt last Nov 11, 2018. I drop it and crack it a year ago but it didnt give me any single problem until this time. I believe RR racing are selling the Antigravity at $400+.
The battery tender is probably needed for longer term storage. The restart feature is great if it dies, but you still need to drive the car after you use the feature to recharge the battery. If I’m starting it for 30 minutes to idle and then turning it back off, it’s not going to fully charge it self while idling.

RRs price is 483, and the same battery is 399
from anti gravity. RR offers the custom bracket to make it fit, so their price is justified. That’s a battery designed more for bikes though, isn’t it? It’s labeled for Motorsports as well. It can crank our cars, but can it take the abuse that a group 24 can? I need a battery that can operate in varying temps and take storage well. It’s a daily driver in the summer and sits all winter in a garage that doesn’t get below 50 degrees. That’s where you guys come in, sending me in the correct direction. Hopefully RR can chime in on their use. I think their temps get pretty low in winter, and I’m sure they store their car, so they have similar circumstances.

The arch angel website has the group 24 and 51 in stock, and both look promising. The 51 has much lower amps than the 24. I’m open to the anti gravity ATX30 if it’ll fit my needs. It’s tiny, so it’ll need custom mounting unless buying it directly from RR.

Lance - do you have the RS30? You mentioned 24 amps?

Last edited by Jwconeil; 03-14-21 at 06:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Battery suggestions