IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Battery suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-21, 10:12 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Any input is appreciated. Please talk to me like I’m 5. I didn’t even know there were different kinds of batteries in existence until this thread started last year. I could use help on battery and matching tender options.

Please also point out any sales your privy too on non lead acid batteries.
The energetic startup is a neat trick, something I enjoy every time.
I went with the AG-24-40-RS but as @lobuxracer asserts, the 30Ah option is probably sufficient. I went with 40Ah for margin, pure and simple.
Check the AntiGravity Facebook page for sale intel, or just call them. (I found their phone support to be excellent.) I waded into some other forums and seems like there have been July 4th and Labor Day promotions in the past. Their Black Friday sale last year was 15% off.
Old 03-15-21, 12:19 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
The battery tender is probably needed for longer term storage. The restart feature is great if it dies, but you still need to drive the car after you use the feature to recharge the battery. If I’m starting it for 30 minutes to idle and then turning it back off, it’s not going to fully charge it self while idling.

RRs price is 483, and the same battery is 399
from anti gravity. RR offers the custom bracket to make it fit, so their price is justified. That’s a battery designed more for bikes though, isn’t it? It’s labeled for Motorsports as well. It can crank our cars, but can it take the abuse that a group 24 can? I need a battery that can operate in varying temps and take storage well. It’s a daily driver in the summer and sits all winter in a garage that doesn’t get below 50 degrees. That’s where you guys come in, sending me in the correct direction. Hopefully RR can chime in on their use. I think their temps get pretty low in winter, and I’m sure they store their car, so they have similar circumstances.

The arch angel website has the group 24 and 51 in stock, and both look promising. The 51 has much lower amps than the 24. I’m open to the anti gravity ATX30 if it’ll fit my needs. It’s tiny, so it’ll need custom mounting unless buying it directly from RR.

Lance - do you have the RS30? You mentioned 24 amps?
While the group 24 is listed in stock, when I spoke with them in late October Nicholas mentioned that they've been out. They did have the group 51 in stock at the time, but Nicholas warned that the group 51 might be pushing it in terms of capacity. New batteries were on the way, but there was a significant price increase involved as well.

When speaking with antigravity the ATX30 was not recommended by them, they went back to recommending the group 24 that would bolt in.

Really though, you should really give them both an email or ring.

Last edited by ultimase; 03-15-21 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-16-21, 06:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I've run both the Group 51 and the Group 24 in my IS F. They both worked just fine. I got the Group 24 for the F because I decided to put the Group 51 in the Supra. Fitment on the 51 in the IS F isn't close to ideal, and it's way closer to spec in the Supra anyway. As previously mentioned, the Supra is a very infrequent use car. I got the LiFePo4 CTEK charger specifically for keeping the Supra battery happy in the long run because I drive it so little compared to the other cars which seen near daily or daily use. I have to say, every time I punch the start button the energetic response from these batteries brings a smile to my face. They spin over very quickly. Love the weight savings too. If the service life is what I have been advised to expect, there's no downside to these except initial purchase price. Long term, they'll end up cheaper than lead/acid right after the first time your lead acid corrodes a battery terminal.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Z (03-16-21)
Old 03-16-21, 08:03 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I’ve been in touch with both companies now. As others have reported, Arch angel is going through a model line change and out of stock for a few months to go. I’ve spoken with antigravity as well. They recommend the group 24: 40 or 60 ah for street use. That’s interesting to me since the RR version is a 16AH, and there are plenty of people running that in our cars.

Based on Lance’s experience, I’ll probably order the 30 AH version in either the Group 24 or 51. They are essentially the same battery with different cases. The 51 is smaller, and therefore 2.2 pounds lighter at the same 30 AH rating. They are also the exact same cost. They have the 24 and 51 R in stock right now, so I’m learning what the right hand sided terminal means, and if that will or won’t work. I went through a crash course on batteries over the last 48 hours and learned a lot. I still think we need to see more empirical data on how long lifepo4 will last before we truly know if it’s worth it, but being as that I have no battery, I’ll probably be joining the club soon. I do like the idea of an 11 pound battery that theoretically lasts 10 years... if it actually will, who knows. I have carbon seats and TE37s... this battery is the cheapest weight reduction I’ve done outside of pulling the spare.
The following users liked this post:
minator (03-17-21)