IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Battery suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-16, 02:13 PM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blckbrd
Same one I've got. AGM is the way to go. And it looks great when the hood is up.
I just picked up the same blue top Bosch AGM for my F last week. They had a 35% sale going on, so I got it out the door for $135ish. My 2011 still had the OEM battery. I never noticed how slow it would crank over because it always cranked over around the same speed for the past 2.5 years. After installing the new battery, it turns over so fast that sounds like a Japanese sport bike.
Old 07-13-16, 09:14 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 99 Posts

Ditto here. I think my OEM 2008 battery is on its last leg after 8 years as it is starting to hesitate on start.....picking up a Bosch AGM at lunch today for about $150ish.

Update: so the battery has a sticker saying it was built in 2013...should I be worried?
Also, who the hell designed the battery clamps? I now have lost 2 of them. Fell straight down underneath the battery bay into purgatory...ugh

Last edited by lexicon72; 07-13-16 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 05:53 AM
Ftime
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After studying and looking for batteries for a month or two now, I also got the Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group Size 24 for my 2012 LEXUS IS-F, but I missed the 35% off! I still got the 25% off. I learned adding the battery to the cart doesn't save the price! It was like 166ish. I didn't want to lose any of my settings with the electronics memory and radio stuff so I used two sets of battery jumper cables and the old battery to keep constant power. It was a PITA, not much room to work with, but it worked. Last time my battery went dead I lost most of my settings and had to use the key to get in it. The battery was a perfect fit except the vent tube on the top left side bowed the plastic battery side cover just slightly. It cranks really fast now, my old battery was borderline shot and I had to keep it on a maintainer. I only drive it maybe once a week. Don't knock the two hold down bracket bolts/screws loose putting the new battery in or break the plastic wire holders that connect to the battery shell/cover on the positive side, they come off or open pressing the tab. It looks good with the blue top. BTW, I think it is the same as the Exide Edge FP-AGM24 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery they sell on Amazon, but I'm not 100% sure. Also Lexicon72, I got my battery home and noticed it was shipped on March of 2014! WTF? I took it right back and got a fresher one that was shipped six months ago, I can live with that. Damn I never noticed a "Build Date" Oppsey. They would have ordered me a fresher one than that, but I didn't want to wait. This is what sold me on it: "Bosch Platinum AGM is backed by the confidence of a full 4-year free replacement warranty. Need a jumpstart? Bosch Premium Performance car batteries promise a 3-year FREE emergency jumpstart!" Pep Boys.
Old 07-19-16, 04:28 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftime
I also got the Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group Size 24 for my 2012 LEXUS IS-F, but I missed the 35% off! I still got the 25% off.
Go figure...got an email today with 30% off at Pep Boys (MANNY30).
Old 07-20-16, 02:30 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using an Optima Red top, which provides a good quick start.
Old 07-20-16, 06:19 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

What voltage is bad? My battery is around 13.3v when on.
Old 09-01-16, 09:02 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Quick question. I just replaced my battery today with a Bosch AGM. Checked voltage at idle : 13.4v-13.5v

Is that acceptable? I was always under the impression that charging voltage should be north of 14v.
Old 09-01-16, 09:29 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by knshro13
Quick question. I just replaced my battery today with a Bosch AGM. Checked voltage at idle : 13.4v-13.5v

Is that acceptable? I was always under the impression that charging voltage should be north of 14v.
13.5 is acceptable. Its a bit on the low side, but still acceptable.
Old 09-01-16, 09:34 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

i believe you only get to 14+ under power load, if you rev the engine a little bit you would see that.
Old 09-01-16, 10:09 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
i believe you only get to 14+ under power load, if you rev the engine a little bit you would see that.
That's odd. I see 14.4v on my beater cars at idle. Ill check my FRS now.

also, just to note, I only changed the battery today because I was having slow start issues and the battery would die after about 4 days of no driving. I'd hate to see my alternator going out at 47k miles. I suppose I can pull out the alt. and bench test but I'm too lazy to do that.
Old 09-02-16, 08:16 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

That's odd. I see 14.4v on my beater cars at idle. Ill check my FRS now.

also, just to note, I only changed the battery today because I was having slow start issues and the battery would die after about 4 days of no driving. I'd hate to see my alternator going out at 47k miles. I suppose I can pull out the alt. and bench test but I'm too lazy to do that.
Not to jinx you or anything, but my alternator went out around 55k miles. A simple way that i knew it was on its last leg was the volt gauge on the dash. It always sat 1 bar above center. Then one day i noticed it started sitting right at center (middle of the gauge). A few months later the alternator died. I replaced it and now the gauge reads 1 bar above the middle.

FYI.... if you have to replace the alternator, you will most likely have to have it rebuilt. When mine went out, i searched everywhere for a remanufactured one and couldnt find one anywhere. I called the dealer and they informed me that according to their system, they are only showing new ones for sale at a price of something stupid like $1800. I said screw that, took it out, found a shop that rebuilds them and had it rebuilt for like $300.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-16, 05:07 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I suppose I can pull out the alt. and bench test but I'm too lazy to do that.
or u can just go to an autozone/advanced auto/o'reilly and they have the tool to test your charging system (battery and alternator) for free
Old 09-03-16, 10:24 AM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For those looking at the Bosch AGM, Pep Boys has a 30% off "Pep30" coupon. It took the price down for me to $147 before tax.

may have to think about getting one...
Old 09-12-16, 03:10 AM
dvarapala
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ETA: I have updated my post with some new information in case it is helpful to anyone else in the future who finds this thread in a search.

Originally Posted by Atrain302
He's correct, use the larger spacer that is provided and everything will line up perfectly. I had the same issue before I realized I needed to use the spacer.
I'm in the throes of replacing the battery in my 2012 IS-F and have run into the same height issue. The Die Hard I bought is about an inch shorter than the OEM battery.

Battery suggestions-o88gvwk.jpg

The Die Hard didn't come with any spacers for the hold-down - hopefully they are sold separately.

Update: I went back to Sears to return the Group 34 battery I bought and get a Group 24 which has been discussed in this thread. Turns out the battery I bought is supposed to come with a 1" spacer block that attaches to the bottom, but the douchebag salesman forgot to give it to me. With the spacer block in place the Group 34 battery fits perfectly against the hold-down bar.

The other issue I haven't seen discussed is the plastic sleeve that slides down over the top of the OEM battery and has the hold-down clips for the wiring haresses on the side:

Battery suggestions-pgpmipz.jpg

Because the Die Hard has little plastic clips on the side where the carrying handle attaches this sleeve will not slide over the top of the Die Hard. How did y'all deal with this? Did you just ditch the sleeve and leave the harnesses flapping in the breeze, so to speak?

Last edited by dvarapala; 09-14-16 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-27-16, 11:03 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Comes with a FULL 36 month replacement... I just replaced mine as the negative terminal was showing signs of not being happy...

Soo far never left me stranded...

~ Joe Z
i have a redtop that has a 3/15 man. Date but no receipt battery won't hold a charge at all put it on the trickle charger all night and next day it's at 44%. Does anyone know if I can return this somewhere or do I just have to use it as a core replacement?

Quick Reply: Battery suggestions