IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Vossen CV3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 04:51 PM
haydog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vossen CV3 questions

I'm in the market for some rims. Here is the deal.. I like to track my car, so I want to keep the performance on par. Not to the extreme levels of 18" Volk rims. But the sexiness of the Vossen 20" CV3's are calling my name. Are the Vossen 19"CV3's the same weight as my stock 2010 19" rims? If they are I may just stick with 19". Or would 20" Vossen CV3's be around the same weight as stock?

I have read of the forum where the stock rims were actually pretty light?

Some thoughts and imput would be great!

Thanks!
-hayden
Old 10-24-12, 05:30 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by haydog
I'm in the market for some rims. Here is the deal.. I like to track my car, so I want to keep the performance on par. Not to the extreme levels of 18" Volk rims. But the sexiness of the Vossen 20" CV3's are calling my name. Are the Vossen 19"CV3's the same weight as my stock 2010 19" rims? If they are I may just stick with 19". Or would 20" Vossen CV3's be around the same weight as stock?

I have read of the forum where the stock rims were actually pretty light?

Some thoughts and imput would be great!

Thanks!
-hayden
That was my exact requirement too when I chose my HREs. I wanted a strong, but lighter than stock wheel, and also one that I can also track at a moments notice (i.e., safely). Every moment when you're in your F is a photo-op moment, even more so when you're tracking it. Why not have your best looking wheels on (the ones you spent oodles of money on), when the photo-op presents itself.

Also, tracking your car is not about racing the other cars, it's about learning to drive your car. Having to swap out different wheels with different tires just changed the whole dynamic of your cars handling.

This is the reason why HREs. BBSs, and Volks are so popular, they are good for both daily driving and track. Vossen wheels are beautiful in their design, but are they track worthy? I just don't know, and I haven't seen any pictures of CV3s on the track...

Oh, stock wheels are not considered light, but they are defintely lighter than the CV3s.

Last edited by PurduePete; 10-24-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-24-12, 05:50 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I don't track my car so that was not part of my equation but my CV3's make me drool just as much today as they did when I bought them the first they were offered.

I feel they are a strong enough wheel to hold up to the occasional track day but due to them only being offered in 20's, I would not recommend them if that is your intent. I offset any increase in weight with two piece rotors so that is not an issue. Purdue has a nice set up for dual duty.
Old 10-24-12, 07:05 PM
haydog
Driver

Thanks for the responses. I just got an email from Vossen saying "26/27 lbs for the CV3 19" How does that compare to the stock rim? Has anyone weighed the stock rim? Looks like I will be staying with a 19" with whatever brand i choose... HRE/BBS/Vossen.
Old 10-24-12, 07:09 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HRE is going to run you quite a bit of money my friend. Your looking anywhere from 6-14k.
Old 10-24-12, 07:26 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

90% of 19' wheels are in the median of $6-$7K.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/w...&c9=7712&r=850 &filter_id=249

Inflated prices for HREs are just stereotypes. Lastly, you shouldn't pay full retail price from any vendor, negotiation is a must.
Old 10-24-12, 07:31 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Approx. 23 lbs Front & Approx. 27 lbs Rear for OEM ISF wheels.
Old 10-24-12, 07:35 PM
haydog
Driver

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
Approx. 23 lbs Front & Approx. 27 lbs Rear for OEM ISF wheels.
Exactly what i needed to know. Thanks!
Old 10-24-12, 08:03 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

So where's all the people that were saying Vossens were so much heavier than stock lol..
Old 10-24-12, 08:22 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I did not know they finally came through with the 19 inch CV3.............
Old 10-24-12, 08:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

What do you mean by track? Road course, autocross, or drag strip?

For road course track wheels I want light, cheap, and 18" so I can put some decent rubber on them without re-mortgaging the house. They're going to get beat up no matter how you slice it.
Old 10-24-12, 08:33 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
So where's all the people that were saying Vossens were so much heavier than stock lol..

I agree, it seems to be a regular event that when something new comes out, some try to justify in their minds why what they have is better etc. Sure, there are far more expensive and higher quality rims out there but for what I paid and what I received, I love them! I do admit, I also love many other F owners set up's on this forum and that is what makes owning this car even more interesting as you can certainly make it unique and your own with maintaining the high level of performance and killer looks.
Old 10-24-12, 08:57 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Want a lightweight and reasonable price wheels should have WEDSSPORT SA-67R. Many members here got it already, other threads said stock wheels are 23lb (front), 29lb (rear).
Old 10-25-12, 01:53 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
For road course track wheels I want light, cheap, and 18" so I can put some decent rubber on them without re-mortgaging the house. They're going to get beat up no matter how you slice it.
I agree that 18"s are best for a track set up with some meaty tires and taller sidewall.
Old 10-25-12, 06:08 AM
haydog
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What do you mean by track? Road course, autocross, or drag strip?

I'm talking about a road course. Occasional drag strip from time to time. Again this is just fun weekends at the course with some friends. Nothing competitive or trying to squeeze out every last second. But would rather not be buying wheels that are 5-8 pounds heavier than the stock rim.. I’m going to keep researching and see if I can find a good dual sport rim Track/Street ready so I wont have to change out tires/rims at every event.

Thanks for all of the comments. It helps me out a lot.
-hayden

Quick Reply: Vossen CV3 questions