IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

No Future ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 01:10 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7No
The trouble with Infiniti's so-called Performance line is that it isn't. If they were to slap a blower or turbo on the v-6, THEN it would be performance, but just to add an intake and "sport" exhaust - ?
all they added to the IPL were some aero parts, upgraded suspension, performance intake - it only increased it over the regular G by a few ponies - I had looked into that option as well - when I first heard about it I thought it was going to be Infinitis version of a GTR - far far from being anything close!
Old 11-11-12, 04:09 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
IS-F does not need to be AWD. The IS 250 comes in AWD if people need a winter car. Performance cars are not geared toward using in the snow. Just like people aren't going to buy an M3 or Z06 as an all season car. There are plenty of AWD cars available for that market of people.
Ditto...if I want something to cruise through snow, I will go out and by a snow mobile.

I bought the car for unbelievable fun and performance.
Old 11-11-12, 06:26 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
I read an interview in (i believe in Road&Track or Motortrend) with Toyota's CEO, Mr.Toyoda.
He most definitely stated the next IS-F will be produced. Released two years after the next generation
IS250/350 is out. His words.
Originally Posted by Gymkata
I hope that isn't true...one year is acceptable but two is not.
Yes I understand, but the 2008 ISF was the first F product ever so the timeline isn't necessarily indicative of what it will be this time. I can understand waiting 1 year to make sure that the performance model is properly built on a new platform, but 2 years would just be bad business.
Bad business? I think you're just speaking from the perspective of someone that just wants a new toy. It's not bad business at all...it's sales and marketing

Think about it...they release a new IS model next year. They say NOTHING about an F model...keeps everyone on their toes. They release an F Sport model of the new 3rd gen IS...you as a consumer goes..."crap, no one has said anything if a F is coming out or not"...but if this new 3rd gen IS looks as good as many of us hopes, you'll end up buying it as an F sport...

Maybe you think you can hold out? but then maybe your current car goes kaput? Then you HAVE to get a new car. What do you do? Buy something cheap to hold out and hope an IS F comes out?

Then the F bomb will be released...everyone trades in their 3rd gen IS350 for a new 2nd gen IS F. Lexus just sold two cars...same model...what's bad business about that?

Look how many guys on this forum have come from an IS250/350 to an IS F...

It may not necessarily be an accurate time line because the IS F has no history, but the thing it is it doesn't need to. Look at all the other performance brands out there...no one shows their cards early because they want to extend the product life cycle.

Look what Porsche does...new 991 911 released this year as a 2012 model. 911 and S models come out first...then the cabs come, then the 4S come...turbo, turbo S, GT3s...none of them announced...but you know it's coming.
Old 11-11-12, 06:29 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
ISF needs ALL WHEEL DRIVE version and sales would do MUCH better. Folks like us in Denver, Midwest, east coast would not buy an ISF for it to simply sit through winter. Demand would be higher with an AWD like Audi's S-Line and etc.
Is your wife's IS250 an AWD model?
Old 11-11-12, 07:27 PM
Mikifiki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has no one seen this link? I think we're good.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...confirmed.html
Old 11-11-12, 07:42 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

It just talks about an IS F-Sport...nothing about an IS F...we all know that Lexus will be releasing many F-Sport models to come.

The thing is, the IS F I'm sure is coming, the question is when, and what's the power going into it.
Old 11-11-12, 08:19 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
the IS F I'm sure is coming, the question is when, and what's the power going into it.
I agree. I'm kinda thinking it will be after the new M3 comes out..
Old 11-11-12, 09:03 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Which again...make its it a 2015 model.
Old 11-11-12, 09:22 PM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Bad business? I think you're just speaking from the perspective of someone that just wants a new toy. It's not bad business at all...it's sales and marketing

Think about it...they release a new IS model next year. They say NOTHING about an F model...keeps everyone on their toes. They release an F Sport model of the new 3rd gen IS...you as a consumer goes..."crap, no one has said anything if a F is coming out or not"...but if this new 3rd gen IS looks as good as many of us hopes, you'll end up buying it as an F sport...

Maybe you think you can hold out? but then maybe your current car goes kaput? Then you HAVE to get a new car. What do you do? Buy something cheap to hold out and hope an IS F comes out?

Then the F bomb will be released...everyone trades in their 3rd gen IS350 for a new 2nd gen IS F. Lexus just sold two cars...same model...what's bad business about that?

Look how many guys on this forum have come from an IS250/350 to an IS F...

It may not necessarily be an accurate time line because the IS F has no history, but the thing it is it doesn't need to. Look at all the other performance brands out there...no one shows their cards early because they want to extend the product life cycle.

Look what Porsche does...new 991 911 released this year as a 2012 model. 911 and S models come out first...then the cabs come, then the 4S come...turbo, turbo S, GT3s...none of them announced...but you know it's coming.
100% agree with this. It's like the way Apple releases new products. They dont say a word, so it will not affect sales of the current version. All the hype is consumer speculation.
Old 11-12-12, 08:10 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know why people are hating so much on the G37 IPL. It is a sick looking car IMO and I have yet to see one in person. I do agree the speed bump up to 350hp is not enough to compete and considering it's ~3700lb doesn't help either. If it was 400+ hp I would have considered getting it.

As far as the "next gen ISF" debate goes, everything is speculation until a dealer actually gets one.
Old 11-12-12, 03:07 PM
mcauley
Pit Crew

You can't have a F sport without F
Old 11-12-12, 05:43 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes I understand, but the 2008 ISF was the first F product ever so the timeline isn't necessarily indicative of what it will be this time. I can understand waiting 1 year to make sure that the performance model is properly built on a new platform, but 2 years would just be bad business.
Lexus makes very little on the F and LFA. The ROI is on the drag sales: IS Fsport, GS Fsport, etc.

It's a marketing investment. The F and LFA are probably nearly twice as much to produce.
Old 11-13-12, 12:51 AM
JC23
Rookie

@ I hope they bring a next gen ISF bro....its just a matter of time..i guess we'll know by 2014
Old 11-13-12, 07:00 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I could have worded this better. You can certainly make a strong business argument to delay introducing a 2nd generation ISF for a couple years, especially when considering how Toyota typically does business. That only captures arguments for the bottom line though and not arguments based around the fact Lexus is trying to change the vanilla image that has caused them to slip and loose ground in a market they once dominated.

While Lexus has certainly done a good job improving the ISF (Torsen LSD & suspension) since 2008, it still seems that they are doing as little as possible to really show that they are serious about having a performance line. In my opinion the F Sport line doesn't count (you need a decently more powerful engine to be considered a performance model, not just suspension, brakes, wheels, & tires). The F Sport line is very important (and smart) for Lexus, but they still need to produce a few "real" F models.

Audi, MB, & BMW have a performance version of most vehicles they sell. Lexus has the ISF and the mostly unattainable LFA. If Lexus goes several years without an ISF, what does that say about the F line being anything more than a marketing ploy to trick buyers into thinking Lexus is performance oriented?

Now I doubt Lexus will not sell the ISF for a model year. Instead I think they will have a 2015 2nd generation ISF. I would also hope they will do what other companies do and make some truly appealing upgrades to the last model year of the current generation in order to make it more viable against competition with newer models. Lexus should offer a performance package on the 2014 ISF similar to what MB offers on some of their AMG models. Give me a $7,000 performance package with lighter wheels, wider tires, bump power to 450 hp, lighter two piece rotors, and maybe a CF roof...Hell, I would consider buying a 2014 if they did that.
Old 11-13-12, 10:28 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Didnt u guys read the post by Joez ? He was at pike peak in August with the ISF Yukihiko Yaguchi creator ?Next generation going to be more powerful and cost a bit more

Quick Reply: No Future ISF?