IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

60,000 Service, Fees and Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 04:51 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, it's kind of weird how service departments work. They take your car in the back and then do all of the work out of sight, only to bring it back to you sometime later saying "yeah, everything is done!" I mean, I'm sure the vast majority of places do exactly what they say they're doing, but it certainly could be that they keep your oil, don't change your plugs, or don't do the things that are hard to see otherwise.

I did all my regular maintenance on my last car, and maybe I'll have to start doing it for this one too.
Old 11-23-12, 06:05 PM
Mortis101
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i just found out recently from a friend that the tech that did my car at my local lexus dealership kept my expensive amsoil oil and put in the regular lexus oil. at least he changed it, but now im forced to work on my on car for mostly everything. can't even trust a major lexus dealership.
That would **** me off so bad!!! I use Amsoil in my Shelby and if they put that crappy Motorcraft oil in there I'd lose it.
Old 11-23-12, 07:08 PM
supafreeza
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's expensive. DIY buddy.
Old 11-23-12, 08:12 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
It's the few that do shady things like this^ that make people second guess going to those who are supposed to be "the best" at taking care if our cars!
yeah , it sucks. i use to be a detailer back in my day and i would hate when someone stands over your shoulder and watch you work so i respect them and let them work on the car but now i understand why some people do it. i mean, they are getting paid , just do their job, it's all i ask.

Originally Posted by vbb
Yeah, it's kind of weird how service departments work. They take your car in the back and then do all of the work out of sight, only to bring it back to you sometime later saying "yeah, everything is done!" I mean, I'm sure the vast majority of places do exactly what they say they're doing, but it certainly could be that they keep your oil, don't change your plugs, or don't do the things that are hard to see otherwise.

I did all my regular maintenance on my last car, and maybe I'll have to start doing it for this one too.
dateline NBC did an investigation on automotive shops where they would mark their bolts or put certain fluids in the car to see if it even gets changed (diff fluid, oil etc) and you guessed it, they didn't change anything but charged the fees. this is the same as stealing and i have no remorse for theives.

Originally Posted by Mortis101
That would **** me off so bad!!! I use Amsoil in my Shelby and if they put that crappy Motorcraft oil in there I'd lose it.
i dont want to push the matter more than it does. it sucks they do this. ive heard some crazy stuff. i just like to keep records of things at the dealer incase i sell it one day and have all records for the next owner but im not going to pay for a service and someone not doing it or stealing from me. sad world we live in.
Old 05-12-16, 04:03 PM
zebani
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to bump an old thread but just got a quote from my local dealer and it was around $1700 OTD before the discount they provided. After the discount it is a little bit shy of $1500

edit; YAY 100th post

2nd edit: after shopping around I got a few more quotes. So far only one of the places said that the serpentine belt needs to be replaced, the highest quote, the other 2 places were around $1250 + TAX and $1020 + TAX without the serpentine belt replacement. Also these prices are for synthetic oil.

Last edited by zebani; 05-12-16 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 07:59 PM
Esader
Driver School Candidate

Default 60k service

I recently had the 60k mile service done on my car. I actually changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin air filter myself. The spark plugs replacement, differential fluid drain and refill and the brake flush I left it to professionals.

I took my car in to Elite Service Center. They allowed me to take my own parts so they only charged me for labor $415. They also did a brake inspection and measured pad thickness. These guys are former Lexus Dealership service writers/techs. They had great reviews and I'm very satisfied with their service.

Local Dealership had quoted $1700+. Granted that was parts and labor and included other miscellaneous items (wiper blades, key fob battery replacement). But still a lot more than what I was willing to pay.
Old 05-12-16, 08:17 PM
zebani
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Esader
I recently had the 60k mile service done on my car. I actually changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin air filter myself. The spark plugs replacement, differential fluid drain and refill and the brake flush I left it to professionals.

I took my car in to Elite Service Center. They allowed me to take my own parts so they only charged me for labor $415. They also did a brake inspection and measured pad thickness. These guys are former Lexus Dealership service writers/techs. They had great reviews and I'm very satisfied with their service.

Local Dealership had quoted $1700+. Granted that was parts and labor and included other miscellaneous items (wiper blades, key fob battery replacement). But still a lot more than what I was willing to pay.
Honestly even $1100 is a lot of money, let alone $1700, just to get the spark plugs replaced and the oil change done. Where in CA are you located? If the mechanic you are talking about is in SoCal
Old 05-12-16, 08:27 PM
Esader
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zebani
Honestly even $1100 is a lot of money, let alone $1700, just to get the spark plugs replaced and the oil change done. Where in CA are you located? If the mechanic you are talking about is in SoCal
Yes, they're located in San Diego, CA. Miramar Road.
Elite Service Center.
Old 05-12-16, 09:31 PM
zebani
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Esader
Yes, they're located in San Diego, CA. Miramar Road.
Elite Service Center.
Great. I will call them tomorrow, I am in PQ so not really far from Miramar. Thanks again.

Edit: Cool, I know this place, though never been before, I have heard about them from a friend of mine.
Old 05-13-16, 10:20 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

60k service cost me $300, did everything myself except for oil change and differential flush I suggest this route.
Old 05-13-16, 10:56 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper21
60k service cost me $300, did everything myself except for oil change and differential flush I suggest this route.
How much was involved in the valve clearance?
Old 05-13-16, 10:59 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zebani
Rear diff fluid, brake fluid, valve clearance, etc... There's more to the 60,000 then most other intervals.
Old 05-13-16, 11:12 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
How much was involved in the valve clearance?
Valve clearance is not necessary.
Old 05-13-16, 06:52 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer DIY on the following.... my 2013 has 42k
Brakes & rotor replacement which are so easy on this car.
Spark plugs, air filter + cabin filter,
wipers & fluid

dealership
Oil change (I double check before i leave the dealership) Oil color and amount
brake fluid

Also RRRacing has the spark plugs for 87.84 plus free shipping. good deal....
Old 05-13-16, 07:13 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFCOBRA
Also RRRacing has the spark plugs for 87.84 plus free shipping. good deal....
Better deal:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rom-china.html

Lou

Quick Reply: 60,000 Service, Fees and Spark Plugs