IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 07:54 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Bolt on spacers are in no way better in any way. Stick with slip on spacers and extended studs.
Old 12-02-12, 02:27 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper21
So let me get this straight. What you're saying is...

A spacer with attached studs, which is bolted ONTO the hub with (IMO) extremely small bolts, is SAFER than having extended studs actually being a part of the hub? How does that even make sense? If anything both ways are equally safe. But from personal experience I believe the latter is much more safe.

I've run H&R Trak+ spacers on my previous two cars with new extended studs installed and never had a problem. I will probably be doing this with my F this summer.
Bolt on spacers generally start at 15mm can use regular lugnuts, they just come with small bolts but if you've ever actually used a spacer you would use a regular short lug nut in place since its stronger.

Yes it is safer, the amount of leverage is different with a bolted on spacer vs an extended stud. My friend snapped a long ARP stud on his track car, I've never snapped mine.. I removed my spacer after 40k miles and had no issues. Yes we both torque our wheels every time.

A bolted on spacer (one thats properly hubcentric) almost mimics as an extended backing plate to a wheel and IMO is the safest route, which is why you see most spacers especially track ones or used on drift cars are all bolt on spacers.

Try using leverage to break a long stick vs a short stick, which one would take less torque to break? Of course the long stick. So this is my reasoning/experience. You can think however you want.

Last edited by ISFpat; 12-02-12 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-02-12, 02:37 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Some references:

http://www.performancewheel.com/whee...dapter-faq/#a1

http://www.speedace.info/wheels/wheel_adapters.htm

Make your own decision.
Old 12-02-12, 03:14 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I taken my 350z to MANY track days (summit point, VIR) AND Autocross with 25mm front and 30mm rear spacers. I've NEVER had any problems what soever with them. I plan on getting them for my F soon as well. I have the bolt on ones by the way. No extended studs for me.....
Old 12-03-12, 12:17 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting thread. It's because of this forum that warned me to get rid of my Ichiba V2's and go for extended stud spacers like H&R, and I've been meaning to, eventually.

But now it looks like I shouldn't? I do have my mechanic check them whenever he's working on my car to make sure none of those horror stories came true on my car, so now the opinion is that I should keep these?

I'm getting a headache...
Old 12-03-12, 12:37 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

The choice is yours but IMO, I would keep them. You are not benefiting at all from changing them out to the slip on style except giving yourself a headache when its time to put back the stock sized studs.
Old 12-03-12, 06:46 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rossi
What are you going to run on the fronts? 245s?
Please come back to verify the fitment and confirm "No rub" with spacers and wide tires.
Photos would be apritiated.
Thank you in advance.
Got my 275/30/19 Michelin Pilot Sports put on tonight and I gotta say I think there's more room there now then when the stocks size was on due to the lower profile. This is while being lowered on Swifts Springs with 15mm spacers. I'll have to take some pics tomorrow.

By the way, there is no pressure or weight being put on longer studs or shorter studs as neither the spacer nor the wheel even touch them. The hub handles all the weight of the wheel AND the spacer, so it doesn't really make any difference as far as strength between a long and short stud.

Last edited by PhiDeltBee; 12-03-12 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 09:50 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
By the way, there is no pressure or weight being put on longer studs or shorter studs as neither the spacer nor the wheel even touch them. The hub handles all the weight of the wheel AND the spacer, so it doesn't really make any difference as far as strength between a long and short stud.
Interesting concept.