IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Introducing myself, and I have a few questions before i buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 06:14 PM
lopeolinda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like gymkata said exhaust really comes down to sound preference.
Old 12-11-12, 07:14 PM
lazerlazer
Driver

Originally Posted by Roffles
I don't mean to derail the topic, but what do folks do in states where smog checks are required? California is so strict that most companies don't even bother trying to get smog certifications for their products. Even if it's a friendly place that lets you get past the visual inspection, I'm guessing +50whp headers are probably going to throw the car off the emissions passing baseline.
In Wisconsin there is not a visual check for emissions, they just plug the machine into the computer and basically if your check engine light hasn't come on, you pass.

I will be getting a 2011+ or 2012 is there production data for how many of a particular color car was produced for those years? I really have my eye on White, blue, or red. although my wife hates white cars the blues and red seem harder to come by... just wondering if there was less of those produced.
Old 12-11-12, 08:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Lexus is very tight lipped about production numbers and colors. You won't find reliable information on this at all.
Old 12-12-12, 12:12 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please, not another Sikky vs. PPE thread. Let's call it even okay guys?

Originally Posted by lazerlazer
In Wisconsin there is not a visual check for emissions, they just plug the machine into the computer and basically if your check engine light hasn't come on, you pass.

I will be getting a 2011+ or 2012 is there production data for how many of a particular color car was produced for those years? I really have my eye on White, blue, or red. although my wife hates white cars the blues and red seem harder to come by... just wondering if there was less of those produced.
Emissions
NY is the same thing, thank god. I'd fail visual due to my muffler/secondary cat delete, but NY only plugs you in.

Headers
In my opinion, headers = headache. If you wanna go with headers, be prepared by getting highflow cats, extra pair of o2 sensors, gaskets, and other components. It will be $2k+ ordeal.

Exhaust
Again in my opinion, on a car like this an exhaust is a must. It just wakes up the V8. Check Youtube and this site for various setups: Joe-Z, ISSForged, Borla, HKS, GReddy, muffler/secondary cat delete w/ custom piping. They all have distinct sounds. Cost varies as well. The brand name exhausts are anywhere between $1-3K.

All in all, I think you should drive the car stock for a bit and see how you like it. Some people love the sound of the stock exhaust, others want more speed, others want sound, or both. It took me a year to mod my exhaust.

I hope my lengthy post answers some of your q's. Ultrasonic Blue FTW!

Last edited by VtotheJ; 12-12-12 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 12:29 PM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Happy early Birthday if you were in Florida I would take you with me to the track and race some Lamborghini's. As for headers: I wouldn't do it, the ISF is a great daily driver car and I can't wait for the 2nd Gen ISF i'll be the first in line. But headers on a daily driver is just going to make your life worse...Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-12-12, 01:43 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BULLIT
My car is a 2010 build MY11 update and has LED DRL's, updated steering wheel, suspension etc.
LOL, next I bet you're going to tell us that summer is on the way in your neighborhood! Wait, yes, it probably is as you live in the other hemisphere

And yes your car is a 2011 then. I wonder if cars built for Australia are different than the ones delivered to North America?
Old 12-12-12, 03:04 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I wonder if cars built for Australia are different than the ones delivered to North America?
Yep, they are RHD.

Lou