Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 10:43 AM
boohunlove
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Ebay but got it to work now
Thanks!

I jus got some depo ones from ebay that look like yours, but no matter what i wire it looks super dim. Is your set the depo as well?
Old 07-15-19, 05:21 AM
wenska
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!

Hi, mine is acting in the same way, can you tell what did you do? because i got it like this from previous owner...
Old 05-14-20, 08:57 PM
SREENU982
Driver School Candidate

I need help, I recently bought a Lexus is and I thought it had OEM headlights turns out there is aftermarket. I own a 2012 Lexus is 250, the previous owner put 2006-2009 headlights everything works besides the drl when I check the pins they were wired for a halogen headlight. I have included a diagram. Is there a way to repin it so the DRL white light is on? One difference I saw was the parking lamp, the aftermarket ones I have do not have a parking lamp so would that be the pins for the DRL?
Old 05-24-20, 06:31 PM
Adrianis35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mortis101
Once you get everything out of your old headlights install it in your new ones. Use the first thread I referenced to modify your bracket at the bottom of your headlights so it will work with your new headlights. (you will only use two screws to hold the bracket onto your new headlights)

Now for the wiring. There are a few different ways you can do it. I chose to wire the LED strip so they were always on when the car is running. That way you can keep your stalk on AUTO all of the time and not worry about turning your lights on and off every time you get in and out of the car because, let's be honest, the only reason you're doing this is because the LED strip looks awesome.

I came across a lot of threads that talked about the green, black, and white wires. I never realized that they were referring to the wires on the bottom of the headlight that plug directly into the LED strip. For reference they are: black = 50% bright, green= 100% bright and white=ground as seen in this picture.

Attachment 462547

I decided to go with 100% bright and followed that wire into the harness and found that it changes into the solid red wire towards the bottom of the harness. The ground wire turns into the solid green wire also towards the bottom in the harness. If you want your LED strip to be on whenever the car is running with the stalk to AUTO do the following-

Start with your passenger side headlight. Take the red and green wires out of the harness. I used a mini screw driver. First you remove the white guard with some needle nose pliers. It pulls straight out.

Attachment 462548

Then you carefully release the pin holding in the wire as seen in the photo below. Get some good lighting, it will help a lot to see what you're doing. You'll be able to feel when the wire can be pulled. It's much easier with a second person pulling on the wire as you release it from the harness.

Attachment 462549

Find some 18 gauge wire and connect it to your green wire. You only need about 8" Put a round connector on the end and ground that wire to an existing ground. There is one right below each of the headlights.

Attachment 462550

Then run the same size wire from your IG2 fuse on the DRIVERS side fuse box to your passenger side headlight making sure you leave enough room to tap into it from your drivers side headlight later. (I think I used about 4 feet, but honestly I just ran the wire, zip tied it and cut off what I didn't need so I may be way off)

Attachment 462551

At the fuse box you'll use a Fuse Tap to tap into the IG2 fuse. Here's a pic from another thread, but I used pretty much the same thing from Auto Zone.

Attachment 462552

Once you have tapped into the IG2 fuse you can connect the red wire in the harness which is the 100% power on your LED strip into the wire you ran.
***The Green wire is power and red is ground*** I did this quite a while ago and I thought my power was red, but there are several comments saying that green is power and red is ground.

Attachment 462553

Repeat this process on your drivers side headlight. I used a wire tap to get power from the line I ran to the passenger side to the red wire from the harness.

When you're finished reinstall your new headlights making sure you get the tabs fully seated or else you'll have problems getting everything to fit right.

Attachment 462554

Last thing to do before putting your bumper on is installing the relay Lexus / Toyota Part # 81980-06020 If you get the Sewell 'stripped' headlights it comes in the box. If not you'll have to buy one. Your old headlights used two blinking lights and your new headlights only use one. This relay makes it so your car doesn't blink super fast when you use the turn signals. Reference this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-located.html (again, big thanks to JoeZ for the great pics) for detailed installation info and pics.

Test everything really well before putting your bumper on. I decided to install a new set of fog light bulbs while I had the bumper off so the fog lights would match the headlight color a little better. Put your bumper back on and test again. If I had to do this all over again it would probably take about 2 hours. (first time it took me about 8 hours because there is a lot of misinformation out there)

Hopefully this thread helps people understand how easy the installation is for the LED headlights. It's a pretty costly mod, but if you have the cash or can get some 2011+ headlights for cheap it looks great.
can you help me a lil more I did everything u posted and my led strip still doesn’t turn on for my 2006 is350
Old 05-24-20, 11:34 PM
Adrianis35
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!

how did u get them to work my led strip won’t turn on for my 2011 headlights

putting them on a 2006 is350
Old 05-25-20, 09:40 AM
ThisSideUp
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the last post on this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...1200-a-50.html
It helped with my installation, but keep in mind this does not power the LEDs under the "auto" option while headlights are off.

To get OEM functionality you want to install them using an R51 relay as shown here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...0-circuit.html
Old 05-25-20, 10:06 AM
Adrianis35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThisSideUp
Check out the last post on this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...1200-a-50.html
It helped with my installation, but keep in mind this does not power the LEDs under the "auto" option while headlights are off.

To get OEM functionality you want to install them using an R51 relay as shown here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...0-circuit.html
will this work if I got the lights from a friend off his Lexus I didn’t buy from Sewell
Old 05-25-20, 05:51 PM
ThisSideUp
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Small correction, *second to last post* but still on the last page of that first link I sent.
Just pull off the white cap from your harness and re-pin as shown to get the LEDs to work
Old 06-10-22, 07:15 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys.
I have the swell lights and they have worked great since about 2014 wired at 100% brightness.
recently my one led strip went out.
then came back on for a trip
then back off again.
I removed the bumper to recrimp the butt connector and it worked.
then immediately went off on the next test
so I rewired everything like I originally did in this thread.
the other works fine but still the led won't light on the other.
I fidgeted with the wire and it flashed for a second then off.
any ideas what to try from here?
I'm thinking its something to do with where the wire connects to the strip itself? as in the pic talking about 50% and 100% brightness at the beginning of the thread.
any ideas how to supply the light power? just to test if its working?
which I believe it is working since it flashes for a second and I got it to light after it being off just by recrimping.
any assistance is much appreciated
Old 06-14-22, 03:08 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

fyi. I fixed it. after checking voltage at every point. it was a bad ground
it went bad. didn't appear corroded and seems tight and in tact.
but bad
fml.
check if it happens to you guys.
The following 2 users liked this post by hahahaf:
93MSB (06-15-22), MileHIFcar (06-15-22)
Old 06-15-22, 10:14 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by hahahaf
fyi. I fixed it. after checking voltage at every point. it was a bad ground
it went bad. didn't appear corroded and seems tight and in tact.
but bad
fml.
check if it happens to you guys.
thanks for following up with the fix!
Old 01-15-24, 06:12 PM
Sleiman14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Nice write up but you don't have to do any of that splicing of the wires at all. All I had to do on my was move like 4 or 5 of the wires in the harness to different pin locations. Took like 5 minutes and works perfect. I did mine thr same way several other IS guys did it.
I know this is an old thread but was wondering where you got the information on which wires to re pin.
thanks
Old 01-16-24, 10:46 AM
Sleiman14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Nice write up but you don't have to do any of that splicing of the wires at all. All I had to do on my was move like 4 or 5 of the wires in the harness to different pin locations. Took like 5 minutes and works perfect. I did mine thr same way several other IS guys did it.
can you link me to what pins to relocate? Can’t find anything on it.

thanks