IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-12, 06:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I changed the front brakes today and I have good (Great, really) and bad news.

The Good News is that the Feredo pads are fantastic. Great feel, and they stop right now.

The Bad News is I can not recommend Adams Rotors. After doing the bedding process, the paint on the hat flaked and the finish on the rotor tips was also flaking. If you do buy Adams Rotors, I don't recommend getting the hat painted.

But, as I said, the pads are wonderful and with the heat cycles the rotors remained true.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails My Front Brakes-flaking-paint2s.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 12-22-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 08:45 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Hey Lou,
Is this your first set of brake pads? Are you coming off OEM brembos? If you had any other pads in the past, please specify and compare. Thank you for your time.
Old 12-23-12, 02:52 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any others rotors that are better than Adams ?
Old 12-23-12, 05:25 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow Lou that really stinks. At least the hat part is out of sight for the most part and will eventually be covered in brake dust and other grime so the paint flake areas shouldn't really be an issue.

Originally Posted by toky916
Any others rotors that are better than Adams ?
I'm running Raybestos rotors which are nearly identical to the OEM rotors but only cost $109 each.. Two weekend track sessions on them and they are holding up well. Not even a hairline crack around any of the holes. My track instructor last year recommended them and I couldn't be happier. Great performance, longevity and they are quiet at least with the OEM pads. With that said though I will be upgrading to the new FIGs two piece rotors eventually.

Last edited by caymandive; 12-23-12 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-23-12, 06:34 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I changed the front brakes today and I have good (Great, really) and bad news.

The Good News is that the Feredo pads are fantastic. Great feel, and they stop right now.

The Bad News is I can not recommend Adams Rotors. After doing the bedding process, the paint on the hat flaked and the finish on the rotor tips was also flaking. If you do buy Adams Rotors, I don't recommend getting the hat painted.

But, as I said, the pads are wonderful and with the heat cycles the rotors remained true.

Lou
Well this blows! Doesnt Adams charge extra for painting the hats? I will still consider them when its time to change my rotors but I will not elect for a painted hat. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-23-12, 02:19 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i would be pissed about the center hats. thes the point of getting that option, to make it look nicer and not all rusty but it looks like all they did was tape off and rattle canned the hats. something you could of done in 10 mins if you got them bare. maybe im just a picky guy but that would bother me
Old 12-24-12, 09:08 AM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

really sorry to see this...
we'd be happy to refund you the coated hubs charge, please simply contact us privately Lou.

this is most definitely not a normal occurrence w/our hub coating and must be a defective batch.
we have had some recent pocketing due to the temperature change her in CA that effected a few sets and it may very well have happened to this set even after inspection...
we will use this as red flag for the last 2-3 batches around your set's time-frame and follow-up...again we apologize.

anyone who reads this thread, contact us prior to ordering and we'd be happy to discount your order w/coated hubs...we assure you this does not reflect our rotor quality or durability whatsoever.

I'd like to also add that each and EVERY set of adam's rotors are first zinc bathed, fully submerged & coated to prevent corrosion.
be is our complimentary silver used on this set, or our black/gold finish, the rotor is protected from the elements...as is this set.
the hub coating is purely an aesthetic, a baked on ceramic-silica coating, and typically much more durable that Lou's set...

Originally Posted by kauaian
I will still consider them when its time to change my rotors but I will not elect for a painted hat. Thanks for the heads up!
please do, and feel free to contact me before...would be happy to make an exception if you are looking to get one of our exclusive patterns.
Old 12-24-12, 06:35 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

oh man...now this is silly.
and then leave out half my reply and taking it out of context right?

let's start from the top...
you approached me for a deal and I gladly gave it...I always do.
you are hardly an early adapter Lou...we've been in business over 6 years and thriving.
we're simply new to these boards and aren't desperate to get our product on cars...we most definitely don't need "sponsor" cars.
we did it out of good will/good faith, and are happy to...that's all it was.

I'm not saying saying what happened didn't, or that it's ok...
I'm saying it's a mistake and a rare one...but now you're asking for more money back? a refund for some something you never even paid for?
this was not a standard transaction...and and as listed you not only received them at no charge you received more off the top.

my email also had the following:
the rest of my reply also mentioned how this is a fluke and by far a normal thing for us.
it's an issue with a defective batch of coating mixed with recent weather changes…
...unfortunately this one seemed to slip thru the cracks since you could see no visible sign before bedding them.

things happen and I am sorry for that but luckily this in no way effects the rotor's utility or usability; safety or performance-wise.
you now questioning my workmanship over some flaking paint seems a bit extreme.
the rotors fit and brake great I know...and our machine work is second to none.

I apologize for the poor hub coating.
you can remove it with simple green or even a touch of brake keen and either reattempt your own DIY paint or run the silver zinc alone.
as also noted in my reply, the rotor is first fully submerged in zinc immediately after CNC, so there is no worry of corrosion as the black coating is purely an aesthetic.
now you're simply out to get me and have made that clear.
a post like this, especially posting partial private emails, is ill-willed & class-less...it ONLY hurts us, the vendor, a successful, reputable, honest small business for quick-read, skimming users who don't know both sides or ANY back story.
Lou doesn't like my straight forward, no BS, real person/fellow enthusiast speak and now is trying to hurt me...he made mentioned to it in prior correspondence and ever since it's been downhill.
that's fine...we don't expect everyone to get our ways, but this beyond that.

I want to stress this is a minor aesthetic issue and ANY standard paying customer would be compensated for their coating fee and then some if it were to ever happen, tho it rarely does.
on top of that, this has ZERO effect on the part itself...a brake rotor, for stopping the car.
it's still protected from rust & the pattern will perform just as they should.

I'm getting back to my family & this Christmas eve's festivities, but I just had to chime in on this last entry...
be well everyone & if you're able, enjoy your rotors Lou,
-a
Old 12-24-12, 07:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Lou, you ask for a special deal and then treat a Vendor to a public bashing on a cosmetic issue which you didn't have the courtesy to even talk to them about first?

Then you pick and chose text out of their private email to you attempting to resolve the problem to suit your complaint and you post it here on CL (removed)?

It's absolutely OK to share your observations both good and bad on products sold by our CL vendors (and otherwise). That's what CL is all about. Our volunteer moderator team even gets involved to try to resolve issues with CL vendors when we see them. However we do expect members to be reasonable when there is a problem and at least have made an attempt to work things out before putting them on blast.

Lou, going to ask you to move on from this issue in all future threads and posts please. PM me if you want to discuss.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-24-12 at 08:05 PM.