IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New IS-F Owner Intro

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 12:41 PM
Asianjedi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
Did you use the lc2i or did you go another route? What kind of box did you go with?
I (my audio shop) used Audison SLI 2 LOC and tapped into the front woofers for the signal. Tried the subwoofer, but that signal was all kinds of crazy.

Originally Posted by Autoxer
Congrats and welcome, i was a former M3 owner as well. Had a E36 M3 and a E30 M3. God I miss the E30 so much.
Nice! I had a great time with my E46, but it kept taking money out of my pocket to spend on mods.
Old 01-12-13, 01:11 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Asianjedi
I (my audio shop) used Audison SLI 2 LOC and tapped into the front woofers for the signal. Tried the subwoofer, but that signal was all of crazys:
If you dont mind could you PM me the shops info?

What kind of box set up did you go with?
Old 01-12-13, 01:19 PM
Asianjedi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kauaian
If you dont mind could you PM me the shops info?

What kind of box set up did you go with?
It is Driven Mobile in Chantilly.

14740 Flint Lee Rd., Unit E
Chantilly, VA 20151

703-376-8960

Chris McNulty is the owner. Great dude.
Tell him Scott sent you.

I used an old box I had lying around. The Polk recommends .66 cu. ft. the box had .8. The variance is fine and sounds good. I am eventually going to get a Wicked CAS magicbox setup though.

Looks like this:
Old 01-13-13, 12:06 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Nice! Well my last name is Jedlinski....so Jedi has been my nickname since 1977.

Welcome Jedi and may the F be with you.
Old 01-16-13, 11:21 AM
JonP
Driver School Candidate

Congrats man!! Where in VA are you located. I am here in McLean area. Hope to see you around!!
Old 01-16-13, 01:27 PM
Asianjedi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JonP
Congrats man!! Where in VA are you located. I am here in McLean area. Hope to see you around!!
I'm in Leesburg.
Old 01-16-13, 02:31 PM
streetspee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet congrats ! All of the rides look nice
Old 01-17-13, 08:30 AM
Fragger
Rookie

Welcome Jedi and congrats!

This is a very interesting thread to me because I too own the E46 M3 (Imola like Jedi's), and amd wondering where to go next from here?

Did you run into similar choices as I am going through?

- E90 335i with M-Sport
- E90 08 M3 (Sdn) - But am weary of the reliability issues with BMW

When I drove the F, I remember it left me looking for more in the low-end torque department, as well as the steering-wheel being kinda skinny and the steering feedback, compared to the M.

But on the other hand, the intoxicating sound beyond 4XXX RPMs, the loaded nature of Lexus, and the reliabability with that kind of performance, really keeps wanting me to keep joining the F club :P...!

Would love to get your thoughts on that!

P.S. I KNOW the E46 M, as well as the E90 M, are both lacking in low end torque as well. That's why the 335 is even in that list LOL!
Old 01-17-13, 02:06 PM
Asianjedi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fragger
Welcome Jedi and congrats!

This is a very interesting thread to me because I too own the E46 M3 (Imola like Jedi's), and amd wondering where to go next from here?

Did you run into similar choices as I am going through?

- E90 335i with M-Sport
- E90 08 M3 (Sdn) - But am weary of the reliability issues with BMW

When I drove the F, I remember it left me looking for more in the low-end torque department, as well as the steering-wheel being kinda skinny and the steering feedback, compared to the M.

But on the other hand, the intoxicating sound beyond 4XXX RPMs, the loaded nature of Lexus, and the reliabability with that kind of performance, really keeps wanting me to keep joining the F club :P...!

Would love to get your thoughts on that!

P.S. I KNOW the E46 M, as well as the E90 M, are both lacking in low end torque as well. That's why the 335 is even in that list LOL!

OK so here is why I chose the F:

My wife will never let me own a BMW again. I poured way too much money and time into it. There are just too many temptations for mods with any BMW. Moreover, no matter much money you spend, you will never fulfill the "legendary" expectations of the M. I am sure you were on M3forum. There is always someone faster, some trust fund kid with s HP freaks turbo kit, etc.
It all started to just be too much. The day I had a feature spread in BMW Performance Magazine (12/07) I thought I had finally done it! Meh....it was cool but not as fulfilling as I thought it would be. I realized that while cars are fun, they should never be your life. So I went back to the gym and Jiu-Jitsu and could not be happier.

The F is perfect for me. It is scarce, fast, attractive and with just enough aftermarket options so that I can keep it as a hobby.

To answer your other questions:
E9X M: Not faster in a straight line than the F. Sterile interior. More expensive. BMW unreliability.
335i: Who cares. I know you can make them fast but in the world of high end cars if it doesn't have a letter badge (M, F, AMG), you are just a red-headed stepchild.

If your whole goal is speed and torque then go buy a Miata with an LS1 in it. My neighbor has one and it is the scariest f'in thing I have ever been in.

Sorry for the rant guys.
Old 01-17-13, 04:14 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

^^ that post made a lot of sense.

e46 m3 is nice but like you said, the money poured into unnecessary things. subframe welding, vanos, sensors going bad but the e92 seemed like not a huge upgrade from it.
Old 01-22-13, 08:53 AM
Fragger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Asianjedi
OK so here is why I chose the F:

My wife will never let me own a BMW again. I poured way too much money and time into it. There are just too many temptations for mods with any BMW. Moreover, no matter much money you spend, you will never fulfill the "legendary" expectations of the M. I am sure you were on M3forum. There is always someone faster, some trust fund kid with s HP freaks turbo kit, etc.
It all started to just be too much. The day I had a feature spread in BMW Performance Magazine (12/07) I thought I had finally done it! Meh....it was cool but not as fulfilling as I thought it would be. I realized that while cars are fun, they should never be your life. So I went back to the gym and Jiu-Jitsu and could not be happier.

The F is perfect for me. It is scarce, fast, attractive and with just enough aftermarket options so that I can keep it as a hobby.

To answer your other questions:
E9X M: Not faster in a straight line than the F. Sterile interior. More expensive. BMW unreliability.
335i: Who cares. I know you can make them fast but in the world of high end cars if it doesn't have a letter badge (M, F, AMG), you are just a red-headed stepchild.

If your whole goal is speed and torque then go buy a Miata with an LS1 in it. My neighbor has one and it is the scariest f'in thing I have ever been in.

Sorry for the rant guys.
Thanks for your response Jedi. No rant, at all, just think it makes sense.

I am looking at the Fs for the big reason of reliability,and the "badge" as you put it .

While the battle of torque and HP is never ending, like you correctly said, there is something to be said about the low-end torque of FI cars like the 335. And for a non-tracky, racer guy like me, that seems to make sense in terms of an occassional thrill . But I understand the "price" for this as well. The price of that much gain/boost on a car, without the bolt-ons.

To be honest though, the one thing that didn't IMMEDIATELY made me handover my keys to the M for that F is the steering-wheel feedback and the dreamy and legendary handling of the M.

I hope that was just me being a stupid first time F driver, and that divide is actually much smaller in reality !

Thanks again for your inputs.
Old 01-22-13, 09:22 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the shifting on the M is still a lot better than the F - lags...