IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

KW v3 owners chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 05:15 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default KW v3 owners chime in.

For all of you running the KW v3's. How do you have them set up? What kinda compression setting are you running before you start playing with the rebound? Are there base settings from KW? Do they come with preset ride hight per application? Track or DD prefrences? Can anyone give me some in depth review of the KW coils?

Im getting close to grabing a set of coils and Im between KW, HKS M1 or wait for ohlins in ISF specific rates.
Old 12-27-12, 05:35 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

They come with preset dampening setting from KW and I think its perfect. I wouldn't mess with it and end up regretting it like I have seen before. The KWs get rid of the harsh ride over bums feeling from the factory springs. But still handles great.
Old 12-27-12, 05:59 PM
darbs242
Racer

So you just put them in? Didnt corner balance or adjust anything?
Old 12-27-12, 07:14 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed them, adjusted the height and got an alignment. I don't need a corner balance on my car for street driving.
Old 12-27-12, 07:27 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them on my 350 and I left the compression the way it was (V3's) and still playing with the dampening. I had mine corner balanced as well as aligned. By just adjusting the heights the CB was pretty off.
Old 12-27-12, 08:29 PM
djhydro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got them and got a tremendous of help from different from Forums as well as Calitri.. I did the same as well. bought, install and 2 weeks later alighment and I def feel the ride to be slightly improved.. looks great and I love the way it came out.

Old 12-27-12, 09:32 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That last picture is wayyyyyy over edited
Old 12-27-12, 09:52 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got mine on fully stiff..with stiffer spring rates for the rear comming in..i don't daily my car and only drive it once in a while. i never cornered balance cause i think its pointless unless u r sitting in the driver seat while doing it or have sand bags in the driver seat to simulate the weight of the driver while doing it. i would love to get mine corner balanced but don't know ne one in hawaii that does that..so till then i set my driver side a little higher then the passenger so that when my *** sits in it it seems like it balances it out..just goin by commen sence on that one..lol but idk..thats just my 2 cents..lol but i love my kwv3 the only other rout would be the figs prototype they are making..just buying some time till they make it and list a price..
Old 12-28-12, 12:02 AM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djhydro
I got them and got a tremendous of help from different from Forums as well as Calitri.. I did the same as well. bought, install and 2 weeks later alighment and I def feel the ride to be slightly improved.. looks great and I love the way it came out.

Car looks awesome, have you had your wheels painted or is it just some clever editing? . Do you mind measuring what height your coilovers are set at? I have V3 on order and will be installed in a couple of weeks. When I had V3 on my RS5 I had the settings on 3 which seemed similar ride to standard. Maybe setting 2 would be more comfortable on ISF
Old 12-28-12, 04:53 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran KWV3 coils on my MKIV supra and by far it was the best set of coils I have had! I would not hesitate to purchase another set. I know for guys who tracked thier Supra's regularly it was not the best choice but a lot of people agreed it was the best all around coilover for the money.
Old 12-29-12, 01:34 AM
HEWITT
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I kept mine with the factory settings it came with and I am slammed. Drives buttery smooth.
Old 12-29-12, 06:01 AM
darbs242
Racer

Every where i read no matter what forum the comparison is being done on... the word buttery and smooth keeps coming up. I dont give a crap if it feels buttery. I want response and great turn in and coils that will manage the Fs weight in a corner regardless of my speed and have OK ride quality. I think THe HKS M1 or just wait for Ohlins is the way I will go. thanks for your input on the "slam factor & buttery ride" doesnt seem like anyone is properly setting up these coils.

IMO Coils with this much adjustment. people would install, set ride height, corner balance, alignment, compression adjust, and slowly fiddle with the dampening setting to tune it in.... It seems like the guys with BC's are doing this more than KW owners. Guess is all comes down to what kind of money you want to throw at something and what you really using the car for.
The following users liked this post:
bakalag (02-24-22)
Old 12-29-12, 12:00 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

the stock setup was too floaty for me...i followed TRex advice, google KW V3 compression adjustment.
Old 12-30-12, 10:27 AM
souljah798
Driver

looking at getting a set if coilovers. Are the KW's really worth it, say over the tein cs series? The KWs are over 500 more.
Old 12-30-12, 10:08 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
Every where i read no matter what forum the comparison is being done on... the word buttery and smooth keeps coming up. I dont give a crap if it feels buttery. I want response and great turn in and coils that will manage the Fs weight in a corner regardless of my speed and have OK ride quality. I think THe HKS M1 or just wait for Ohlins is the way I will go. thanks for your input on the "slam factor & buttery ride" doesnt seem like anyone is properly setting up these coils.

IMO Coils with this much adjustment. people would install, set ride height, corner balance, alignment, compression adjust, and slowly fiddle with the dampening setting to tune it in.... It seems like the guys with BC's are doing this more than KW owners. Guess is all comes down to what kind of money you want to throw at something and what you really using the car for.
What you are demanding is exactly what I have in the Penske setup we make. The V3 is not a track coilover and KW is not investing in the Lexus market for higher performance because all R & D comes out of Germany and there are few Lexus vehicles to develop on continuously. The only place we suggest the V3 is for people wanting a smoother ride, stay at a mild drop and would never run aggressive fitment wheels and tires. They are a well built product but their target is not what you are looking for. They will bottom when pushed and most will not even know because it may be hard to feel the bumpstops. Most of it comes from their philosophy on how to limit travel...they want to do it with their inertial damping when it should be handled in bulk via the spring rate. Limiting travel with damping just slows down response and on the track that delay is brought forth where on the street its not a requirement.

Shocks are all preference and targeting of applications. That is why the first question I ask potential customers is "what are you plans for your car." The answer to that question is the guiding light for suggestions based on actual use data and experience. The Ohlins setup will be a good crossover coilver for the street and the track with a more reasonable price-tag and more aggressive spring rates.

Speaking of price tag I also found out KW is bumping prices on Lexus coilovers $400 starting Feb 2013. So this pushes them further into the R&T band of pricing. Shoot me a PM with any questions, here to limit the brain damage on this stuff for our customers.

Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Quick Reply: KW v3 owners chime in.