IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

new in the isf world

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-12, 02:17 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new in the isf world

Hi im new here got my hands on a stock 2008 isf black in black so far great , only having issues with my key fob or keyless entry but this is not the reason im here , i was looking onto intakes and read all about different brands and set ups , im for one a true beliver that Lexus created a great intake system and i dont want to get rid of it because i know it should perform better than all others. Ive also heard good things about joe x intake pipe and I agree that the factory duct is restrictive but i havent found any real data of this mod I know esthetics is one of the reason for this being but I dont mind the stocker , what i would like to know is that if its worth it puting a dry drop in with the joe z intake tube ??? what difference should i expect by doing this anyone with just this mod? I dont care much about esthetics or loudness actually i hate the last one so any input will be appreciated. Keep in mind ditching the stock intake its out of the equation!!
Old 12-30-12, 08:26 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts

Get a joe z intake elbow
And keep the stock filter or opt for a Tim's
I love the stock intake system as well, and had had my share of aftermarket intakes for the F
Fun, but not efficient!
Unless you want to spray, stick with stock system with joe z or hps tube
Old 12-31-12, 04:43 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would get the HPS intake tube and a toms drop in. It does the same thing but is made from different material so i doesnt heat soak
Old 12-31-12, 04:52 AM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just put the joeZ or HPS intake tube on do you still get the secondary induction noise at 3600rpm or do you lose it? I am also new to ISF's and still learning
Old 12-31-12, 04:55 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

thanks for the input greatly appreciated will check the HPS!!! one question though, does the oen drop in , is good or should I replace it with a dry one, I know the troubles you run with the oiled!?
Old 12-31-12, 04:58 AM
RobPR
Rookie

HPS, AFE's Dry drop in and spray the hell out of it!!!! Saludos Koki!!!
Old 12-31-12, 04:58 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

I think and im quite sure you will still have it because you are not really altering anything in the intake box, all you are doing is smoothing out a bit more the air flow , thats why the gain is so minimal but ill guess is worth it, i have no plans what so ever to spray so ill stick to the factory oem air box that to me is like a work of art
Old 12-31-12, 04:59 AM
RobPR
Rookie

ohh and by the way, welcome to the ISF community. They are all cool people here with a lot of knowledge on our platform.
Old 12-31-12, 05:00 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

whats up bro , 2013 redy to unleash the gray beast?? thank you for the invite and so far im loving it , learning a lot
Old 12-31-12, 05:05 AM
RobPR
Rookie

Dyno tunning on wednesday. Looking for the big 600... More than welcomed to come. I'll let you know on which dyno.
Old 12-31-12, 05:25 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

You may want to look at the Takeda as well:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fe-takeda.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...50-intake.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fe-intake.html

That has been my intake of choice. It is the only conical filtered intake system that retains the stock secondary intake flap.

Lou
Old 12-31-12, 06:04 AM
JasonH42
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BULLIT
If you just put the joeZ or HPS intake tube on do you still get the secondary induction noise at 3600rpm or do you lose it? I am also new to ISF's and still learning
Don't worry, you still get the wonderful sound at 3600rpm unless you fit something that bypasses it like a K&N intake.

I fitted a HPS silicone intake (blue!) - it took literally minutes, very easy - plus an aFe oiled filter and now it really feels like the engine can breathe properly and throttle response seems much better.

Highly recommended mod.
Old 12-31-12, 06:26 AM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jason. I thought the AFE dry filter was better for ISF or isn't there much difference?
Old 12-31-12, 07:04 AM
JasonH42
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BULLIT
Thanks Jason. I thought the AFE dry filter was better for ISF or isn't there much difference?
Well I did a lot of research on this forum first - and thanks to everyone who posts, there's a lot of great info and experiences here - and another user had convincing graphs showing much higher throughput with the oiled version. But whichever is best, I'm very happy with this combination.
Old 12-31-12, 08:51 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

stock is the best...if you want to retain the stock setup get either Joe Z or HPS. get a drop in filter from Toms or keep it stock.

here is the thread figs started to compare different intakes...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fe-takeda.html

Quick Reply: new in the isf world