IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Moisure problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13 | 11:14 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

The car has only been in the shop for a couple of hours each time I have brought it back and complained about the problem. Lexus corporate told me they will contact me Tuesday next week as Monday is a holiday for them. After three failed attempts I do not want to go back to the same dealership and will try to get an appointment with another that is not too far away. I would of brought the car there today but could not miss some business meetings I had, on lunch break now then back to another meeting. My friend said I should put paper towels or something down on the soaking wet trunk so that the water stands out more as you just cant see its wet by looking other than the smell.
Old 01-18-13 | 05:16 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

So just an update, Lexus corporate contacted me asking me if I would be willing to take the car to a different dealership and giving them an attempt to fix the problem. I told them that is fine I will take it in as soon as I can, I will call another dealership in the morning, was way to busy at work today to do it, and set up an appointment for Monday. She said if the dealer can not fix the car then we can talk about either going forward with the lemon law or them refunding me my money and turning the car over to them, or the possibility of them giving me a brand new car . I love my F and hope the other dealership can fix it because as we all know water damage lowers value a lot. If they can't fix I really don't know what I will do, while as you guys said this is the first time you have heard of the issue, and I honestly do not like how my dealership has handled this trying to make me sound like a moron and that there is nothing wrong with the car.
Old 01-19-13 | 06:27 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

So was able to get some pics this morning to show the moisture on the inside of the car, this is two days after it finally stopped raining here.

All the big drops are on the outside but the other is inside.

In this one same thing except you can see where I ran my hand over the window and it smeared the water on the inside.

Here in this one you can see where mildew or mold has shown up in the trunk on the carpet
Old 01-21-13 | 08:57 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Just a quick update, dropped the car off at the other local dealership this morning and the service manager was so nice! I told him about all the leak problems and the responses from the other dealership, he pulled up the service records and showed me everything they put in the computer and let me look through them. We then got onto talking about the other dealerships service and how they have tried to do everything but fix the problem, first blaming it on air conditioner condensate, come on im not running the ac in winter, and then telling me I must of left my window cracked, but how would that explain all the water and mold/mildew in the trunk. He then told me they get a lot of people coming in for service complaining of how the other dealership was recommending unnecessary things and he promised me that they will fix this problem even if they have to tear the car down all the way to its frame. He looked at the carpet in the trunk and told me they will try to clean it and if not they will replace it all, including all the interior carpet. He also told me the other dealership is a family owned business, which I knew as they have a honda, toyota, kia, nissan, and ford dealership in addition to their lexus dealership, where as this new dealership I went to is corporate owned. All I can say is I am very happy with how they treated me at this new dealership and I will be bringing all my business to them once they fix the leak problem. He said the first thing they will be doing is removing the back seat, having someone lay from the back into the trunk while they run water over the car looking for the leak and from there removing all the panels and gaskets all the way down to the frame. They gave me a brand new es that only has 2k miles on it to drive, which while its fun to drive new cars, it is no F. Its also kind of funny I had looked at the F at their dealership first but they only had it in starfire pearl and I really wanted USB or nebula gray so had to buy from the other dealership, while the buying process was great I now regret having not just asked the first dealership to order it for me, with how they treated me today and brought my car right into the service bay made me feel they really care about me and fixing my problem to earn my future business.
Old 01-22-13 | 06:52 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by farpetrad
Just a quick update, dropped the car off at the other local dealership this morning and the service manager was so nice! I told him about all the leak problems and the responses from the other dealership, he pulled up the service records and showed me everything they put in the computer and let me look through them. We then got onto talking about the other dealerships service and how they have tried to do everything but fix the problem, first blaming it on air conditioner condensate, come on im not running the ac in winter, and then telling me I must of left my window cracked, but how would that explain all the water and mold/mildew in the trunk. He then told me they get a lot of people coming in for service complaining of how the other dealership was recommending unnecessary things and he promised me that they will fix this problem even if they have to tear the car down all the way to its frame. He looked at the carpet in the trunk and told me they will try to clean it and if not they will replace it all, including all the interior carpet. He also told me the other dealership is a family owned business, which I knew as they have a honda, toyota, kia, nissan, and ford dealership in addition to their lexus dealership, where as this new dealership I went to is corporate owned. All I can say is I am very happy with how they treated me at this new dealership and I will be bringing all my business to them once they fix the leak problem. He said the first thing they will be doing is removing the back seat, having someone lay from the back into the trunk while they run water over the car looking for the leak and from there removing all the panels and gaskets all the way down to the frame. They gave me a brand new es that only has 2k miles on it to drive, which while its fun to drive new cars, it is no F. Its also kind of funny I had looked at the F at their dealership first but they only had it in starfire pearl and I really wanted USB or nebula gray so had to buy from the other dealership, while the buying process was great I now regret having not just asked the first dealership to order it for me, with how they treated me today and brought my car right into the service bay made me feel they really care about me and fixing my problem to earn my future business.
Thats good news, hopefully they find and fix the issue
Old 01-22-13 | 04:48 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

So the dealership called me right after 5pm today and said they are stumped. They have not been able to find a leak at all, said they removed all the carpet and see no water stains or signs of mold/mildew. I asked how thats possible since right on the trunk floor mat there is obviously something growing there. He asked me to come in tomorrow morning and show them, so I will bring my pictures with me and show them and point it out on the actual trunk mat. Right now I am just so frustrated that I really don't know what to do.
Old 01-22-13 | 05:26 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

damn, sorry about this ongoing issue. i'm curious to see this resolved. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-22-13 | 05:29 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Thats really strange man. I hope you find the cause.
Old 01-22-13 | 05:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

My '93 GTS Celica had the same issue, but it was caused by an idiot at the dealership washing the car with the trunk not closed. Once I got all the water out, it never got wet again. Have you dried it fully and had the water return?
Old 01-22-13 | 06:22 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Yeah after the first time I noticed I first used a thing of moisture rid in the car and brought it over to my dads and let it sit in his heated garage for a few days while he was out of town and drove his new LS460 Fsport for those two days. After last weeks constant rain it showed up again.
Old 01-23-13 | 12:55 AM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Get a new car... 2013 IS-F if they offer!
Old 01-23-13 | 07:00 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

So picked up the car and they let me talk to the master tech who explained to me what they did. They removed all the carpet from the car, not just the trunk, and found no signs of water stains. He also said the white stuff on my trunks mat is not mold/mildew, and I told him only things ive had in my trunk are a spare suit, a gym bag, and some towels so I don't know how a white spot developed on the mat. So this was now failed attempt 4, and while this dealer did a way better job than the place I bought the car I'm still very frustrated. It is supposed to rain here on Friday so I will check during that and if I notice any moisture I will bring it right to the dealership.
Old 01-23-13 | 08:24 AM
Boma
Lead Lap
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by farpetrad
So picked up the car and they let me talk to the master tech who explained to me what they did. They removed all the carpet from the car, not just the trunk, and found no signs of water stains. He said the white stuff on my trunks mat is not mold/mildew, and I told him only things ive had in my trunk are a spare suit, a gym bag, and some towels so I don't know how a white spot developed on the mat. So this was now failed attempt 4, and while this dealer did a way better job than the place I bought the car I'm still very frustrated. It is supposed to rain here on Friday so I will check during that and if I notice any moisture I will bring it right to the dealership.
That is discouraging to hear buddy. If your area is expecting rain, request for the car to be left out on the dealership's lot while it rains so they can see first hand if the leak will rear its ugly head. At this point it would probably be more wise to just trade the car in and hope the next one isn't a lemon.