Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 06:52 PM
Super6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down side of coil overs?

I'm considering bc economy coilovers.
What are the downsides of such a mod?
1) I'm assuming a lower stance equals possible scrapeage-bottoming out?
2). A new alignment that might cost a little more?
3). Possible faster uneven tire tread wear?
4). Will have to pay for removal before trade in of car?

Am I off base? Any additional comments?
Old 01-04-13, 07:05 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

1) more careful driving, but car looks better
2) alignments should be done often anyways, but now lowering the car will change suspension geometry. It's good to make sure you get any alignment kits that are available to make sure your tires wear evenly.
3) see #2
4) you can always sell the car with it on.

My question is...why are you putting Economy coilovers onto a 65k car? Doesn't make sense to me. Do it right the first time. Buy once cry once. Go big or go home.

You buy cheap coilovers, they blow out, you''ll have to now take them out of your car, get them fixed, your car may be out of commission for awhile...etc.

The only downside if you buy economy coilovers will be the fact that they're economy coilovers and you're going to get everything you paid for....which is probably not much!
Old 01-04-13, 07:12 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Coilovers are great, but to maximize their full potential you should have the car corner-balanced once they are on and set to about the height you want. This way you can obtain both the look and performance. Many who install coilovers set them for the look and in return have compromised the handling of the car.

1. Yes, with lowering the car you will have to be more aware of curbs and such, but it's something you probably do anyway.

2. Yes, you will need an alignment. Depending on how low you go you'll still be able to fall within spec on the alignment.

3. I am sitting at nearly stock height in the back and about a half inch in the front and I have tire wire equal to what it was on the stock suspension. This car naturally eats the front inner tires.

4. Any time you have aftermarket parts on a car the trade in value will take a hit so yes I'd recommend removal prior to.
Old 01-04-13, 07:50 PM
Nameless1
Rookie

The only downside I can think of is the dent it puts on your wallet.
Old 01-04-13, 08:50 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Coilovers are great, but to maximize their full potential you should have the car corner-balanced once they are on and set to about the height you want. This way you can obtain both the look and performance. Many who install coilovers set them for the look and in return have compromised the handling of the car.

1. Yes, with lowering the car you will have to be more aware of curbs and such, but it's something you probably do anyway.

2. Yes, you will need an alignment. Depending on how low you go you'll still be able to fall within spec on the alignment.

3. I am sitting at nearly stock height in the back and about a half inch in the front and I have tire wire equal to what it was on the stock suspension. This car naturally eats the front inner tires.

4. Any time you have aftermarket parts on a car the trade in value will take a hit so yes I'd recommend removal prior to.
I agree with everything on this, however, my solution to #3 has been simple...alignment every 6,000 miles and it keeps the tires happy. I get 40k out of my front tires easy and I run Bridgestone RE11 extreme performance summer tires year around because it doesn't rain in southern California
Old 01-05-13, 09:49 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I agree with everything on this, however, my solution to #3 has been simple...alignment every 6,000 miles and it keeps the tires happy. I get 40k out of my front tires easy and I run Bridgestone RE11 extreme performance summer tires year around because it doesn't rain in southern California
Uummm i got 8k out of my RE-11s.... With some weekend tracking. Those tires dont last like that if your beating on your F,, IMO.
Old 01-05-13, 10:05 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darbs242
Uummm i got 8k out of my RE-11s.... With some weekend tracking. Those tires dont last like that if your beating on your F,, IMO.
No weekend tracking for me. Just spirited driving every now and then when I do drive the beast. I get about 30-35k out of the rears. I'm on my 3rd set of rears and 2nd set of fronts.

All in the way we drive right ?
Old 01-05-13, 10:43 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're probably driving until they cord lol
Old 01-05-13, 11:15 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

gotta get my moneys worth
Old 01-07-13, 10:06 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Even with just springs you should get an alignment, but it's not expensive and it's important so don't worry about it and just factor it into your coilover budget. If you can't afford an alignment then you can't afford coilovers (or the labor for install).

When I bought my ISF, as part of the trade-in I had the dealer agree to remove my mods (including coilovers) for free. It took them a good 2 weeks since it wasn't a priority for them, but it was totally painless and I just had to come pick up the parts (which I then sold on forums).
Old 01-07-13, 10:10 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

The good out weight the bad 10-2 lolz.
Old 01-07-13, 01:20 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you would like some help with a coilover setup shoot us a message or give us a call, we can go over all your options with you and help you get a kit that will work out well for what you need.

We carry a ton of suspension parts and we are very experienced in this area
Old 01-07-13, 01:52 PM
is300SD2
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have any dents in their roofs around the sunroof they've noticed after installing coilovers? I had this happen to me after I put coilovers on my 300.
Old 01-07-13, 04:11 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Guys, keep it civil and on topic please.