IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F or Genesis Coupe 3.8 or 550i

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 12:57 PM
Asianjedi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
you picked 3 cars all diff classes. hyundai, just go sit and drive one, you will not want to spend money on that. 550i, no thanks. ISF, is nice but im trying to be non bias as possible. isf is the nicest car on that list. like isfpat said, m5 is more like it but it does have problem, only the 06 but that's the one for around 35k. if you got an 08 m5,, most problems are fixed.
Spot on assessment.
Old 01-14-13, 07:10 PM
sbaer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your spirited replies. Since there are no IS F close to where I live I went ahead and test drove a 350 at the local dealer today to get a sense of the chassis, steering etc. since I have never driven a non Euro car.
Much to my surprise I think that engine is accelerating the vehicle faster than my S4. Steering not as direct but sufficient. Liked what I saw. Hyundai and BMW are off the table.
Just need to decide now if I actually need the F or if the 350 is enough to get my feet wet with Lexus for now and start with that.
That particular vehicle had some odd things to it though: A-pillar cover passenger side coming off, Bottom of trunk lid had some spots where paint was missing and white fiber-glass looking stuff exposed, AFE error (blinking)
Still researching if those things are common on that platform. Doesn't look like. It was a CPO but they would have to do some touch ups.
Old 01-14-13, 07:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

There is a pretty big difference in feel between the IS-F and the IS350. I've owned both cars. I don't think you could fairly compare the 350 experience to the F. The differences are many and immediately obvious.
Old 01-14-13, 09:46 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea the feel of the steering isn't even close between the 350 and the ISF.
Old 01-15-13, 07:47 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaer
That particular vehicle had some odd things to it though: A-pillar cover passenger side coming off, Bottom of trunk lid had some spots where paint was missing and white fiber-glass looking stuff exposed, AFE error (blinking)
Still researching if those things are common on that platform. Doesn't look like. It was a CPO but they would have to do some touch ups.
The vehicle wasn't maintained properly. These are definitely not common problems for Lexus. Also, the aftermarket availability for the Genesis is a lot more than the F. When modded correctly they can hit 500+ hp. But at the end of the day you're driving a Hyundai and IMO luxury doesn't even come close to Lexus, not to mention exclusivity. No offense to BMW owners but I don't even think the 550i should be considered in this argument.

Sbaer you should test drive an F and post back
Old 01-15-13, 04:25 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Test drive the F.....I bet you'd close this thread after the ride
Old 01-15-13, 04:35 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaer
Thanks for all your spirited replies. Since there are no IS F close to where I live I went ahead and test drove a 350 at the local dealer today to get a sense of the chassis, steering etc. since I have never driven a non Euro car.
Much to my surprise I think that engine is accelerating the vehicle faster than my S4. Steering not as direct but sufficient. Liked what I saw. Hyundai and BMW are off the table.
Just need to decide now if I actually need the F or if the 350 is enough to get my feet wet with Lexus for now and start with that.
is350 was a better comparison with those cars. is350 is nice and quick , smooth ride and seems like what you were looking for with the other two cars.
Old 01-15-13, 04:38 PM
raceism
Rookie

I-s-f!! Nuff said!
Old 01-15-13, 05:13 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is a pretty big difference in feel between the IS-F and the IS350. I've owned both cars. I don't think you could fairly compare the 350 experience to the F. The differences are many and immediately obvious.
+1 I to owned IS350 prior to my F, even with all F sport parts installed on IS350 intake,exhaust, suspension it nothing like ISF.
Old 01-18-13, 06:05 PM
sbaer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Weapon F
+1 I to owned IS350 prior to my F, even with all F sport parts installed on IS350 intake,exhaust, suspension it nothing like ISF.
Agree with you. Test drove an F and it's great but since the 350 is already faster than my S4 I went ahead with the 350 now to get my feet wet with a Japanese brand and then will move up in the future to the F. First effect is that my wife now also wants a new car and is eyeing an RX. Mission accomplished I guess, switching away from Euro cars albeit the F not just yet.
Old 01-18-13, 08:14 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats and welcome to Lexus. You will love it and maybe move into the F later on.
Old 01-18-13, 11:57 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Same here....Completely different car and experience.
The F is beastly the 350 is fast
F steering and handling are so different / better than 350

But from an S4..the 350 definitely can keep up.
it blasts off the line....I would shock many on the road who were surprised that "a lexus" was beating them or on their Azz when they just "knew" they would pull off on it.

350 to F is a natural progression but when you do it...you'll be like "why didnt i just do this in the first place....and its a Toyota so it will last like a Corolla and be reliable!