IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Next gen IS-F should have XXXXXXX engine...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 01:30 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

not completely sold on the new design but i bet it'll grow on me. just like the current IS line, didn't really like it when it first appeared back in 06/07. then i saw the is-f and suddenly, just knowing what was under the bonnet and the car's capabilities, i fell in love and knew i wanted one eventually. if the new F offers something nasty under the hood, i think the car will become more attractive because of that.

it's been so long since toyota has used turbos in their vehicles, i just don't think they'll suddenly start w/ the new F. perhaps a smaller V-8, like 4.6, lighter overall, higher revving, more power, might appear.
Old 01-16-13, 01:46 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cremaster
not completely sold on the new design but i bet it'll grow on me. just like the current IS line, didn't really like it when it first appeared back in 06/07. then i saw the is-f and suddenly, just knowing what was under the bonnet and the car's capabilities, i fell in love and knew i wanted one eventually. if the new F offers something nasty under the hood, i think the car will become more attractive because of that.

it's been so long since toyota has used turbos in their vehicles, i just don't think they'll suddenly start w/ the new F. perhaps a smaller V-8, like 4.6, lighter overall, higher revving, more power, might appear.
It has defintely been a long time but I guess part of the reason for me to wish for a turbo and even an in-line 6 is because maybe Toyota/Lexus will use the same engine in the rebirth of the Supra. Now that would be my ultimate wish. I've always loved the Supra Turbo and if they do something to bring that back in all of its glory, I'm all for it.

I'd say, make the IS-F about 3500lbs. 3.5L+ in-line 6 with sequential turbos or even twin scroll turbos like how porsche and bmw are doing it and add a double clutch. Then take that same tranny and engine and put it in a 3200-3300Lbs Supra and I'll buy the Supra (if the design is as gorgeous as the old Supra before it disappeared.) I'm praying!
Old 01-16-13, 02:03 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Just F Me
OH....BTW...did i mention how ugly that front end is? It's not the grill...it's the stupid headlights and LEDs in the bumper.
LMAO! But I totally agree with you. If they keep the 2IS Headlight design or maybe change it up a bit and adapt the newer spindle grill front end, that'll be something I would be interested in buying.
Old 01-16-13, 03:14 PM
RizOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing NA engine with a hybrid component to it. Lexus/Toyota doesn't seem to have a current turbo engine in its lineup that I am aware of. This is just speculation on my part. I hope they keep it rear wheel drive and not switch to all wheel drive.
Old 01-16-13, 03:19 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RizOne
I am guessing NA engine with a hybrid component to it. Lexus/Toyota doesn't seem to have a current turbo engine in its lineup that I am aware of. This is just speculation on my part. I hope they keep it rear wheel drive and not switch to all wheel drive.
They do have turbo engines outside of the US.
Old 01-16-13, 05:06 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a fan of the exterior at all, but the interior is sweet, especially the LFA-styled gauges. I hope they don't dump the V8, a big part of what makes the ISF such a terrific car with character is that V8 bellow.
Old 01-16-13, 05:53 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

I hope they go with a v6 twin turbo high reving around 600hp. It would save weight as well. Maybe even better gas millage.
Old 01-16-13, 06:15 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Well, the IS-F is low volume so it wouldn't affect the overall MPG of the fleet so they might still just keep the V8 but get it up to 460 hp (which BTW, I think headers and exhaust do already). That or TT the 3.5 engine. That makes sense seeing how AMG C63 is 4.0 TT

I think I'm going to skip this next generation and keep on working on my present F to make it lighter and lighter.
Old 01-16-13, 06:48 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
It has defintely been a long time but I guess part of the reason for me to wish for a turbo and even an in-line 6 is because maybe Toyota/Lexus will use the same engine in the rebirth of the Supra. Now that would be my ultimate wish. I've always loved the Supra Turbo and if they do something to bring that back in all of its glory, I'm all for it.

I'd say, make the IS-F about 3500lbs. 3.5L+ in-line 6 with sequential turbos or even twin scroll turbos like how porsche and bmw are doing it and add a double clutch. Then take that same tranny and engine and put it in a 3200-3300Lbs Supra and I'll buy the Supra (if the design is as gorgeous as the old Supra before it disappeared.) I'm praying!
I can bet you, they're not gonna go turbo. If they EVER do go turbo, they're going to do it a small car first, then see how it works in a flagship F model. Asking for a lighter IS F isn't going to happen. It's a luxury sports car, which means it's safe, comfortable, and it's going to be heavy. Any time you ask for a lighter car, you have to start taking away some performance because now your goal is to make the car light. Look at the Lotus...light car, not too big on power (but it works out because the car is light), and the interior is blah. Lexus I believe will not go this route.

Originally Posted by zapa
I hope they go with a v6 twin turbo high reving around 600hp. It would save weight as well. Maybe even better gas millage.
Lets be realistic, the engine in the IS F isn't where the weight is...it's everywhere else! Twin turbo v6 is out of the question...keep dreaming

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Well, the IS-F is low volume so it wouldn't affect the overall MPG of the fleet so they might still just keep the V8 but get it up to 460 hp (which BTW, I think headers and exhaust do already). That or TT the 3.5 engine. That makes sense seeing how AMG C63 is 4.0 TT
Since when is the C63 has a 4.0 TT? Where are you getting this info? The new C63 when it comes out will most likely (in my opinion) have the same 5.5L Bi-Turbo V8 that's in the current AMG cars. There's no point in developing a new engine. And that's only because the guys at AMG are lunatics.

Toyota, sad to say, is too conservative to do something like putting a V6 TT or even a V8 TT. AMG is KING when it comes big power engines.

Here's proof how NASTY AMG engines are (a good kinda nasty...like that one night stand you wish you had)

Damn I wish the IS F sounded this good. There's no replacement for displacement!

Last edited by Just F Me; 01-16-13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-16-13, 09:04 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

It's been rumored that the 2014 C will be a 4.0 TT v8. Also, fwiw, that C63 sounds like a header/exhaust 6.4 hemi in the SRT8s. LOL I suppose having similar displacement, cylinder firing order, open exhaust - they should sound similar. I think my F sounds kind of like a 5.0 mustang LOL.
Old 01-16-13, 10:16 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

OH....BTW...did i mention how ugly that front end is? It's not the grill...it's the stupid headlights and LEDs in the bumper.
you forgot about the sides and the rear end.. the front doesn't bother me as much as the back
Old 01-16-13, 11:18 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsane
you forgot about the sides and the rear end.. the front doesn't bother me as much as the back
so you hate the whole car? lol
Old 01-17-13, 04:54 AM
toky916
Pole Position

I highly doubt they'll go turbo. If anything, they'll go to a smaller engine that's higher reving to get the power (i.e. like the LFA).

But if the new IS-F has the same ugly face as the new IS (the LED lights in the bumper is lame), I'll be happy to stick with my current IS F or get something different later.
Agreed with the IS look just silly , but I'm saying there going to use hybrid to boost the hp and Tq my guess since they have been doing there research on hybrids for days now somewhat similar idea of the new NSX
Old 01-17-13, 04:59 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ToothDoc

I think I'm going to skip this next generation and keep on working on my present F to make it lighter and lighter.
Hey come over to my house and ill help u get your ISF lighter & lighter until we have the frame just left
Old 01-17-13, 05:23 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
Now that the 2014 IS has been revealed, we can now move our attention to the upcoming IS-F. I love how the original IS-F was basically a black ops-kind-of project but I'm guessing that this time around, Lexus corporate will develop the IS-F under normal circumstances.
Just saw the pictures of the new IS, and I must say I am extremely unimpressed and disappointed. The entire lineup looks the same. No differentiation b/t the classes. Can BARELY tell the difference b/t the IS, ES, GS, or LS. WTF???

Unless the new F has some major, standout differences that wow me, looks like I'll be keeping my '08 for a LONG time.

Quick Reply: Next gen IS-F should have XXXXXXX engine...