IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I just drove in the snow! Snow tires FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 02:11 PM
FforLife
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drooling @ tgui
Old 01-24-13, 02:12 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
wtf tgui.. why you stealin pics of my car??

Same setup!
Thats too funny. I see we both went with the cheapest 19'' setup on tirerack
Old 01-24-13, 02:17 PM
AHI
Driver School Candidate

I have blizzaks on mine too... but they wear away too quickly. I use the factory 19" size on the factory rims.

Tons of control and steering, not too much acceleration traction, and that makes sense with all this power
Old 01-26-13, 07:54 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
if the path is icy get the studded ones if its fresh snow blizzaks is more then enough. I was in the poconos mountain driving my blue beast back to jersey...take traction controll off and put snow mode on. don't drive with a heavy foot and you should be good. u might have a problem if the car stay still for awhile or if you going up hills depending if its icy. i didn't have a problem as the snow started falling and it was about 1-2 feet of snow on the ground when I was leaving the poconos.
I hope it will just be snow but I do not know. I already have the blizzaks so hopefully that will be enough. It will definitely be up a mountain as snowshoe is at the top of the mountain unfortunately and that has me worried. Only other option is FWD with all seasons.
Old 01-26-13, 08:22 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I live in an area that gets snow/ice on the roads MAYBE 3-4 days out of the year, and when that happens the city usually responds well by salting/sanding down the roads pretty well. I've never even considered getting snow tires, and in fact, I drive on summer tires year round.

Though yesterday almost changed my tune. For some reason, the city didn't seem to prepare for the snow at all, even though we only got maybe 2" (which is actually a lot around here). One minute there wasn't a flake in the sky, and then an hour later the roads were ridiculous. I have about a 10mi commute from the office to home, and it took me every bit of 90mins yesterday. Even in snow mode, with summer tires, RWD and all of this torque, this car is scary as hell. I would roll away from each stop light without even applying the throttle... just lift my foot from the brake and go. The second I even gave it the slightest bit of gas, the rear end started sliding. I can't even count how many times I almost lost the rear end driving home, and I was being as careful as I could possibly be.

Scary stuff. I'm glad I made it with my car in one piece!
Old 01-26-13, 12:11 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb
I live in an area that gets snow/ice on the roads MAYBE 3-4 days out of the year, and when that happens the city usually responds well by salting/sanding down the roads pretty well. I've never even considered getting snow tires, and in fact, I drive on summer tires year round.

Though yesterday almost changed my tune. For some reason, the city didn't seem to prepare for the snow at all, even though we only got maybe 2" (which is actually a lot around here). One minute there wasn't a flake in the sky, and then an hour later the roads were ridiculous. I have about a 10mi commute from the office to home, and it took me every bit of 90mins yesterday. Even in snow mode, with summer tires, RWD and all of this torque, this car is scary as hell. I would roll away from each stop light without even applying the throttle... just lift my foot from the brake and go. The second I even gave it the slightest bit of gas, the rear end started sliding. I can't even count how many times I almost lost the rear end driving home, and I was being as careful as I could possibly be.

I figured the cost of tires and cheap wheels out weighed the emotional/time/money costs dealing with an accident or being pulled from a ditch.
Old 01-26-13, 01:40 PM
FforLife
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-26-13, 02:37 PM
fasttexasz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vbb

VBB, I drove to DC in that BS yesterday. Roads were a little scary but once we got thru Richmond they were nice and clear and I was running 80. However I did drive in snow mode all the way to Richmond and used the paddles to down shift to avoid stabbing the brakes to much. I was amazed at how well the car handled the roads with Michelin sport pilot AS. We left our place in Chesapeake at 330pm so it was at the peak of the snow. Guess driving a beat up 77 Camaro while in high school living in Dallas and dealing with ice storms paid off a bit. Still very pleased with the F's performance in the snow/ice.

Last edited by fasttexasz; 01-26-13 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-26-13, 03:47 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fasttexasz
VBB, I drove to DC in that BS yesterday. Roads were a little scary but once we got thru Richmond they were nice and clear and I was running 80. However I did drive in snow mode all the way to Richmond and used the paddles to down shift to avoid stabbing the brakes to much. I was amazed at how well the car handled the roads with Michelin sport pilot AS. We left our place in Chesapeake at 330pm so it was at the peak of the snow. Guess driving a beat up 77 Camaro while in high school living in Dallas and dealing with ice storms paid off a bit. Still very pleased with the F's performance in the snow/ice.
I stayed local and had to drive the F on the iced up roads. This year I was able to avoid the traffic so lucky me I guess. I also have the Michelin Pilot Sport AS and they didn't disappoint. Snow mode was a win for me as well. The only thing to worry about now is to wash off all that salt and sand once everything clears up!
Old 01-28-13, 05:16 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Ice, sleet, and slush this morning. Not an issue!
Old 01-28-13, 06:50 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WReuroR
Only other option is FWD with all seasons.
My DD is FWD with all-seasons all year round. Works great.
Old 02-08-13, 07:27 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, we got our biggest snow storm of the year so far yesterday, and while the roads were very dicey, the F handle everything with ease. I was pleasantly suprised with how well I could accelerate uphill and not lose any traction. Something feels oddly bizzare when you are in an ISF and passing SUVs and trucks in the left lane. Hoping everyone on the East Coast stays safe from this weekend's Superstorm Nemo.
Attached Thumbnails I just drove in the snow! Snow tires FTW!-20130207_165131.jpg   I just drove in the snow! Snow tires FTW!-20130207_165137.jpg   I just drove in the snow! Snow tires FTW!-20130207_165159.jpg  
Old 02-08-13, 08:12 AM
Cb815
Rookie

Great pic F1, I Second your first post the LM25 blizzak are awesome, if you drive smart the F can handle all conidtions.
Old 02-08-13, 12:45 PM
DocEyes
Rookie

This is my first winter without my STi. I traded it in for my '12 F in November. I cannot believe how sure footed this car is. I was admittedly nervous giving up AWD but this car is just fine in the snow. We've had a fair amount of snow this year but in snow mode, the LM 60s, the traction and stability nannies, a little common sense and I feel just as confident in the F as I did in the STi.
Old 02-08-13, 12:51 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DocEyes
This is my first winter without my STi. I traded it in for my '12 F in November. I cannot believe how sure footed this car is. I was admittedly nervous giving up AWD but this car is just fine in the snow. We've had a fair amount of snow this year but in snow mode, the LM 60s, the traction and stability nannies, a little common sense and I feel just as confident in the F as I did in the STi.
I hear ya! I had a 2004 STi for about 6 years. I never had to worry about weather in the STi since I used all seasons. I'd plow through feet of snow without issue.

You agree it was worth the trade?

Quick Reply: I just drove in the snow! Snow tires FTW!