IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I just drove in the snow! Snow tires FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 06:15 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just drove in the snow! Snow tires FTW!

After 2 years I finally got the chance to try out some budget, last model blizzak snow tires. While still easily overpowered, they did a nice job! I even shut off traction control and was still able to drive with a careful foot (in an area with no other cars). It reminded me of driving in 2WD mode in my old Chevy truck in Colorado.

I even passed a Subaru WRX that was still ovbiously on summer tires.

Short pointless story I know.

Get snow tires! Yay!
Old 01-24-13, 07:30 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where in NOVA are you? I can tell you're talking about the few inches we got overnight. Snow tires are a MUST on our cars. I have Blizzak as well, and although getting out of my immediate neighborhood was a little tricky this morning, all in all I felt safer in my car than how some of the people around me were driving, haha... VA drivers don't understand the concept of keeping a safe distance!!
Old 01-24-13, 07:48 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DS2k
where in NOVA are you? I can tell you're talking about the few inches we got overnight. Snow tires are a MUST on our cars. I have Blizzak as well, and although getting out of my immediate neighborhood was a little tricky this morning, all in all I felt safer in my car than how some of the people around me were driving, haha... VA drivers don't understand the concept of keeping a safe distance!!
I live walking distance to Wegmans in Fairfax and work on the George Mason campus.

Indeed people follow too closely. People here also brake too late when coming up to stoplights *shudder*.

Where are you?
Old 01-24-13, 07:58 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Virginia eh... I'm hosting a mega all-ISF meet with another VA ISF owner (vbb) in April in Delaware... you both should attend! We're trying to break the world record for most ISF's at a meet:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-dover-de.html
Old 01-24-13, 08:52 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tgui
I live walking distance to Wegmans in Fairfax and work on the George Mason campus.

Indeed people follow too closely. People here also brake too late when coming up to stoplights *shudder*.

Where are you?
I'm in Sterling, but work in Merrifield off 495 and 50.

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Virginia eh... I'm hosting a mega all-ISF meet with another VA ISF owner (vbb) in April in Delaware... you both should attend! We're trying to break the world record for most ISF's at a meet:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-dover-de.html
Cool idea, but I take classes on Saturdays... I'll have to check and see if that's an "off" weekend for me.

EDIT: Sorry, but that's a bad weekend for me :-/

Last edited by DS2k; 01-24-13 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 09:10 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

This is my second winter in the F, and with my Blizzaks mounted, I am incredibly confident in my 60 mile round trip per day. Now I can't say the same for the other drivers on the road..... As long as you are conservative with the throttle, this car is just fine for snow day commuting. I leave it in snow mode and have had no issues. However, turn sport mode on, find yourself an empty, snow-covered parking lot, you can really have some fun!

I still think my M3 was a little better in snow handling, but I am certainly not disappointed in the F's ability thus far.
Old 01-24-13, 09:47 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DS2k
I'm in Sterling, but work in Merrifield off 495 and 50.

Cool idea, but I take classes on Saturdays... I'll have to check and see if that's an "off" weekend for me.

EDIT: Sorry, but that's a bad weekend for me :-/
Ahh. I used to work in the CSC building in Merrifield. Back in my ManTech days that is.
Old 01-24-13, 10:11 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

Just becareful in them when the temp gets above freezing, its very easy to chew them up even in "normal" driving.

I usually wait to put my snow tires on when we get the first snow/ice, otherwise im on my summer tires...then i put the summer tires back on after I think we are done with snow/ice regardless of temp.
Old 01-24-13, 11:11 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tgui
Ahh. I used to work in the CSC building in Merrifield. Back in my ManTech days that is.
haha, yeah I'm just a building over... right next to the Marriott
Old 01-24-13, 11:38 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i had a similar experience except that I was in the mountains...made it home...blizzaks FTW!!!
Old 01-24-13, 01:41 PM
FforLife
Rookie

Ordering
Old 01-24-13, 01:46 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FforLife
Ordering

Old 01-24-13, 01:48 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a set of Blizzaks for mine and I am making a trip to go skiing at Snoeshoe next weekend. I am worried though going up the mountain pass that it could be a bad idea. I know on local roads they are good but anyone have experience with them in the mountains?
Old 01-24-13, 01:59 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WReuroR
I have a set of Blizzaks for mine and I am making a trip to go skiing at Snoeshoe next weekend. I am worried though going up the mountain pass that it could be a bad idea. I know on local roads they are good but anyone have experience with them in the mountains?
if the path is icy get the studded ones if its fresh snow blizzaks is more then enough. I was in the poconos mountain driving my blue beast back to jersey...take traction controll off and put snow mode on. don't drive with a heavy foot and you should be good. u might have a problem if the car stay still for awhile or if you going up hills depending if its icy. i didn't have a problem as the snow started falling and it was about 1-2 feet of snow on the ground when I was leaving the poconos.
Old 01-24-13, 02:10 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

wtf tgui.. why you stealin pics of my car??

Same setup!
Attached Thumbnails I just drove in the snow! Snow tires FTW!-20121220_180545.jpg  

Quick Reply: I just drove in the snow! Snow tires FTW!