IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ML not standard on the F....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 06:28 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ML not standard on the F....

Just thought that its absurd that the premium ML system is not standard. Any other F owners out there rocking the Lexus premium sound system? Does this system play DVDs? My 09 has it and its great. Is there a way to upgrade as a dealer option? Just disappointing...
Old 01-28-13, 06:49 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I have never actually seen a non ML equipped ISF. That said, I (and many others) have found the ML system to be one of the worst "high end" factory sound systems in any car that I've driven. The bottom end to the ML system leaves much to be desired. In fact, I just hooked up an aftermarket sub and amp and now it sounds a LOT better. I'm not entirely sure you want to upgrade to this system. You'd be better served picking up some aftermarket audio goodies, imho.
Old 01-28-13, 06:59 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

ive seen a non ML version when shopping for my F at the time. im sorry but it made the interior look a lot worse and less luxury/expensive.

im actually one of the few that are happy with the ML system. i dont expect an aftermarket sound but it def gets loud enough for me. im sure i'll add a sub one day though when it blows out.
Old 01-28-13, 07:04 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

I could careless about the speakers and amp. I just want the HDD/5.1 head unit. I won't the option of playing DVDs. The speakers and amp can be upgraded. I hope Lexus can upgrade this.
Old 01-28-13, 07:09 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MercuryISF
I could careless about the speakers and amp. I just want the HDD/5.1 head unit. I won't the option of playing DVDs. The speakers and amp can be upgraded. I hope Lexus can upgrade this.
yes it plays dvd in surround sound but only when the car is park. of course you can by pass this quite easily.

not sure if they can still install this or not. i know on my old 350z, the navigation had to be ordered new through factory because the way the car was designed, they used the whole car as a ground/antenna, or something like that. it was complicated and wasn't possible.

it seems like a very expensive project if you do decide to do it.
Old 01-29-13, 07:22 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

I'm hoping that I can upgrade just the deck. That will give me dvd and 5.1 surround.
Old 01-29-13, 03:44 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
ive seen a non ML version when shopping for my F at the time. im sorry but it made the interior look a lot worse and less luxury/expensive.

im actually one of the few that are happy with the ML system. i dont expect an aftermarket sound but it def gets loud enough for me. im sure i'll add a sub one day though when it blows out.
I am with you bro. The ML system sounds quite nice and i have no complaints thus far!
Old 01-29-13, 05:24 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have blown the sub in my car once before and the current one is starting to sound progressively worse. Thats why I add a 12in w6v2 in a ported box with 600 watts. It sounds soooo much better.
Old 01-29-13, 05:46 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I have never actually seen a non ML equipped ISF. That said, I (and many others) have found the ML system to be one of the worst "high end" factory sound systems in any car that I've driven. The bottom end to the ML system leaves much to be desired. In fact, I just hooked up an aftermarket sub and amp and now it sounds a LOT better. I'm not entirely sure you want to upgrade to this system. You'd be better served picking up some aftermarket audio goodies, imho.
Lets rephrase that........the ml system in the isf is the worst high end system,
The ml in my 07 LS is 20x better than the one in the isf.
Old 01-29-13, 06:18 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by chris6878
Lets rephrase that........the ml system in the isf is the worst high end system,
The ml in my 07 LS is 20x better than the one in the isf.
That is a fair point, and what I meant.
Old 01-29-13, 07:06 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Stereo is good not great but if you have mark Levinson deck you can always upgrade the speakers and and the amp/sub the system can be quite good. If you don't have the deck you lose the DVD and surround sound.
Old 01-30-13, 09:51 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are only 2 options that I have seen NOT on an ISF, and only once each. One car didn't have the moonroof, and one didn't have the ML. Every single ISF beyond those 2 examples has always had both. For nearly a year I though both of those features were standard.

As for the ML...I dunno...I think quite highly of it to be honest. Sure it doesn't have thundering bass, but via the EQ I'm able to make any type of music sound fantastic to my ears. Not the best ever, but still very good.

I listen to a ton of live concert DVDs and they sound amazing, especially with 5.1. That's probably my favorite feature so I have a bypass so that I can hit "play concert" while in motion. Switching discs from a CD to a DVD but then having to pull over just to hit Play drove me nuts. Until you pull over you just hear the title credits on repeat.
Old 01-30-13, 10:10 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
There are only 2 options that I have seen NOT on an ISF, and only once each. One car didn't have the moonroof, and one didn't have the ML. Every single ISF beyond those 2 examples has always had both. For nearly a year I though both of those features were standard.

As for the ML...I dunno...I think quite highly of it to be honest. Sure it doesn't have thundering bass, but via the EQ I'm able to make any type of music sound fantastic to my ears. Not the best ever, but still very good.

I listen to a ton of live concert DVDs and they sound amazing, especially with 5.1. That's probably my favorite feature so I have a bypass so that I can hit "play concert" while in motion. Switching discs from a CD to a DVD but then having to pull over just to hit Play drove me nuts. Until you pull over you just hear the title credits on repeat.
Radar Cruise is not in Canada and early F's did not have parking sensors as well.
In Canada ISF's came in 2 series - Series 1 vehicles did not have ML, and Series 2 had it.

Lexus USA and Lexus Canada ordered vehicles as to their preferences, as exampled by speedo's in Km's or Miles.

Digger08