IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Drive belt DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 09:48 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Drive belt DIY?

anyone have one handy? ive done these before. im guessing the ISF has tensioners? anyone have done this themselves? thinking of doing it since im about to put in spark plugs anyways.
Old 01-31-13, 03:41 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

I have the belt but my original one is still in great shape, even with 80k miles on it. I'm in no hurry to put the new one on.
Old 01-31-13, 07:45 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am about to change mine as well.

There is a tensioner.

Serpentine drive belt 90916-02632

Labor book rate is 1.2 hrs -
Lexus advises to access the belt by removing the coolant expansion tank (2 bolts only), air intake duct and front half of the air filter housing and intake pipe
It is unclear to me if the expansion tank needs to be completely separated from the engine - which means more work and coolant spillage or if it can sit loosely out of the way.

Routing diagram

I'm going to have a go at this today or tomorrow and see if its easier to access the belt from the top, bottom or a combination of both.

I'd prefer not to remove the skid plate, so I will try the up top method first.

As long as I have access to insert the long bar to release the tension and the routing diagram, it shouldn't be that difficult. I also have a service pit to allow for extra hands and arms - I'll see if I can do this by myself first.

Digger08
Old 01-31-13, 07:56 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive changed mine and it was pretty much a cake walk. I changed both belt and tensioner in under an hour with the help of a friend.

Its easier to get at it from the bottom if you have someone to help you align your tools properly.
Old 01-31-13, 10:00 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

thanks Digger. that helped. let me know how it goes.

mrslay, yeah tensioners aren't usually bad. the vq35 motor, literally took me 5 mins each belt to change. so easy. i think i mine as well et a new tensioner as well.
Old 01-31-13, 02:41 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Yup - I just returned from checking it out.

The good news is....very easy from the bottom, just take off the skid plate and you have full access. 10 minutes, if your familiar with changing belts. Keep a copy of the routing diagram handy, just in case you forget.

The bad news is my tensioner failed, or has reached the end of its life....so I have to change that first, before the new belt goes on. The dust cap fell off (sealed unit) exposing the spring to the salt and water and there is limited free play. There is no ECP warranty coverage as it is a wear and tear item.

Cap that fell off and I found on my skid plate!

Tensioner - with the missing cap

Digger08
Old 01-31-13, 05:02 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

dang, that sucks. thanks for clearing that up. i was going to replace the tensioner anyways since the belt is coming off. i wonder should i just put a new water pump in there as well since im in there.

im not due for anyt of this, but doing this, at least i know i dont have to do it anytime soon (or i hope )

im guessing deflection of the belt is similar to any other car.
Old 02-01-13, 02:06 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

The new belt is now installed on the car, along with the tensioner. The Lexus technician installed everything through the engine bay - I had them throw the belt on, as it was a simple solution

For anyone interested here is the tensioner - out of interest our tensioner is made by Dayco - this surprises me, as I thought it would be Denso or some other company.

Digger08
Old 02-01-13, 04:24 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

was that the new updated tensioner? how much was the part through lexus without labor?
Old 02-01-13, 05:08 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
was that the new updated tensioner? how much was the part through lexus without labor?
The bad faulty tensioner's were only installed on the first 1591 ISF's (VIN 1591 and down) then they corrected it on the floor as a running production change.

VIN TSB details

My car is VIN#1072 - So I had an original faulty tensioner at some point in its life. The tensioner in my car was upgraded along the way at some point because the number matched the revised number on the TSB.

Replacement part 16620-0W130

Its just one of those items on a car that have a useable life. They are constantly in motion, and under load

13% taxes, Labor and parts = $375.00 pretty good considering I was in a Lexus Dealer - I negotiated with the service manager on price a little,so they worked with me.

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 02-01-13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 08:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Great Thread...!!

I coincidentally changed my drive belt, engine air filter and engine oil last night @69k miles...

Easiest drive belt I have ever done..!!

From the top I removed the plastic covers, intake and half of air box..
Other half of box on car got vacuumed out, before new filter was installed..
I did not touch or move the coolant reservoir.

I used a short socket wrench with a 14" socket.. Pushing downwards on the tensioner nut, easily released the pressure and the belt came off quickly.. New belt went on just as easy as the old one came off.

I also inspected the Water Pump & Tensioner pulleys, they looked and spun normally.

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 02-02-13, 03:59 AM
spddemon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks digger for the post. Would you happen to have this VIN TSB details on the faulty water pump?

Originally Posted by digger08
The bad faulty tensioner's were only installed on the first 1591 ISF's (VIN 1591 and down) then they corrected it on the floor as a running production change.

VIN TSB details

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-11-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 07:49 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Great Thread...!!

I coincidentally changed my drive belt, engine air filter and engine oil last night @69k miles...

Easiest drive belt I have ever done..!!

From the top I removed the plastic covers, intake and half of air box..
Other half of box on car got vacuumed out, before new filter was installed..
I did not touch or move the coolant reservoir.

I used a short socket wrench with a 14" socket.. Pushing downwards on the tensioner nut, easily released the pressure and the belt came off quickly.. New belt went on just as easy as the old one came off.

I also inspected the Water Pump & Tensioner pulleys, they looked and spun normally.

Regards,

Joe Z
I think the coolant reservoir is only recommended to move if a long bar is used on the tensioner - it gets in the way from up top. Thanks for the confirmation

Digger08
Old 07-09-18, 12:26 PM
henry1229
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread. Does anyone know how tightly the new tensioner should be torqued to the block?
Old 06-27-19, 10:24 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

Yeah its an old thread, I just need you all to know that I've got ISF #1583 and that belt tensioner lasted 10 years and 110k miles.

*edit p.s. does anyone know the toque spec for the tensioner is so I dont have to get another subscription to the TIS?

Last edited by 93MSB; 06-27-19 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Drive belt DIY?