IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The "buyer's remorse" thread. What do you wish you'd done differently?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 12:42 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default The "buyer's remorse" thread. What do you wish you'd done differently?

This is a "just for fun" thread, because I know none of us have true buyer's remorse and wish we hadn't bought an ISF in the first place, right? Right!

But knowing then what you know now, is there anything different you would have done when selecting your car?

I'll start:

I made a great find on a seriously low mileage '09 when I was looking in the summer of 2012. Found my car a "mere" 600mi away (had it shipped up here) because I couldn't find what I wanted locally. I was dead set on getting a black, white or dark gray ISF (in that order), and this one only had 13,200mi on it. But I wish I had looked harder for one with the Alpine interior because I think that looks really sharp, and I kind of wish I had tried to find a 2010 because of the better LSD and the iPod connectivity. I probably could have found a 2010 with around 20K miles for the same price I paid for my 09 w/ 13K miles. I also wish I would have known about the big warranty thread so I could have gotten a better deal on my extended warranty. I overpaid by about $900.

All in all though, those are minor things. Just curious if any of you have similar lists?
Old 01-31-13, 01:15 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

I kind of went through the same thing... I was supposed to find a IS250/350 but some how convinced my wife to let me go ahead and spend the extra $10k and locate an ISF. I searched for about 4 months, wanted a SFP ISF and something around $36k range. At the time, F's were selling for $38-50k and getting an extra $2k wasn't possible.

Finally found one at a mitsubishi dealer that wasn't too far away, ended up taking a day off of work, and made an appointment to check out the car since it was listed at my price point at $34,995. It happened to be pouring that day but still took her for a test drive and fell in love with it. I tried negotiating and went back and forth debating if I should get this car, but then saw a stack of inquiries and appointments on the salesman's desk. Had 3 other appointments that same day that wanted to test drive the car. I ended up taking the plunge...

After driving it for a week, washing it myself, and really checking out the car, I started regretting my decision. The car isn't in the shape I wanted this car to be in...looks like the passenger side has been repainted, scratch on the rear bumper that was touched up, scratches on plastic trim pieces in the interior, etc. The engine still runs great, but I'm just disappointed in the overall condition of the car. Wish I would've waited, saved and spent a little more and made an offer on g35cali's F since his is in immaculate condition. Oh well, I still love my F and it hasn't given me any issues...
Old 01-31-13, 01:32 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying a car in the rain hides flaws in the paint.
Glad you still love your Isf
Old 01-31-13, 01:34 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I didn't pay $300 more for ISS forged "titanium" tips.. Tarnished and faded away in a matter of weeks.

Also, prob over paid for my car.. got the 100k mile CPO warranty, but prob coulda bought a brand new F for a couple thousand more.. with the new headlights.
Old 01-31-13, 01:38 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

I would do the same each and every steps only thing is if they were giving me good deal 2 1/2 yrs earlier so i didnt had to get IS350 1st lolz
Old 01-31-13, 02:03 PM
Wakemaker8
Driver

If I had a second chance at it I would have waited six months and bought a GT-R with 35k(ish) miles.. oh you meant about the IS-F. Hmm you know there isn't much I would change about what I bought. I liked the SFP and Matador Red but the deal I got for mine probably couldn't be matched on anything within reasonable distance in those colors or mileage.
Old 01-31-13, 02:51 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After driving a GTR.. wish I spent the extra 30k on a GTR lol.
Old 01-31-13, 04:19 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Prob wish I would have gotten a M3 lol. i love my F but just like the M3 more when fixed up.

I also might have thought twice about red but for the price point at the time (9 months ago) and when looking for an 2011 F there were only 3 in a 300 mile radius so my choices were limited lol.

Also wish i would have saved up a few more bucks to get the concave version of my rims from ADV but i was in a rush to get rims on the car and get it modded.

Overall though I guess its a good fun buy
Old 01-31-13, 05:45 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I waited a couple of months to have them bring in a SFP rather than buying the MM that was coming in within the month. I love the car, but I absolutely love the color white!... I guess my next car, GTR, will be white...
Old 01-31-13, 07:03 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont make mistakes hahaha
Old 01-31-13, 07:17 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being an overall car lover, I kind of wish I went with the Lotus Exige S. It's in a similar price range, the engine is built by Toyota, and it is rare as hell.

It's just a small regret though, because when I fire up that V8 it makes me smile. Not to mention going on road trips multiple times with friends reminds me that having 4 doors does prove to be beneficial.
Old 01-31-13, 07:18 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

No regrets here. I would've done the exact same thing, at the exact same time in 2008. Even with all the changes to the first gen IS F, and there have been some significant ones, I don't think I'd even wait for the 2011-12 with the updated LSD and suspension tweaks. There will always be a better factory built version year after year, but that first MY is pretty something special- considering it was Lexus' first F vehicle produced.
Old 01-31-13, 07:26 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Not really a regret, but I wished I bought a pearl white instead of my USB. I don't dislike the color, but my previous car was blue too.
Old 01-31-13, 07:38 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I reget not buying the Matador Red because I think that color is now even more rare than USB. USB was cool because it was an exclusive IS F color, but now all the models have it.

Also I wish my transmission didn't go kaput.

Other than that, the car has been great and it will be cool when it hits 100,000 miles soon
Old 01-31-13, 07:42 PM
is300SD2
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the ISF but wish I waited it out for a GTR or 911 GT3..guess that's next!

Quick Reply: The "buyer's remorse" thread. What do you wish you'd done differently?