IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ICode Titanium Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 07:34 PM
LegendGT1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exhaust sound on the track portion of the video makes that F sound like a legit race car, it makes me wonder if the sound clips in the beginning were with the headers or not.

If good quality equal length headers can be made for around the same price as the current header options, I would definitely go with the equal length for a better sounding exhaust note with good or possibly better power gains.
Old 02-12-13, 07:37 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
How many of you guys would seriously go for something like this. What I we could do something that was not made from donuts (expensive) and still shot for equal length to get every last bit of power and keep a good tone? Ti is outrageously priced but weight savings might make it worth it even more than the power. Just kicking things around.
i think i would shell out cash for a equal length stainless steel version
Old 02-12-13, 10:15 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

your quote made me realize how horrible I type when rushed. I will start to take a look at this, the remedy is probably going to be a non traditional flange location and a full exhaust. Otherwise donuts are required.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 02-12-13, 11:58 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A full long tube equal length header with a full exhaust that has an option of replacing the tips with a burnt Ti look or utilizing the factory tips would kill the market by far.

Sound is key, looks/finish is a close second. I hope you can pull it off Figs, then you'll pretty much cover almost the whole IS-F market from suspension all the way to the engine.
Old 02-13-13, 07:34 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I would not have a header made from titanium. There are no titanium alloys that can avoid alpha case (oxygen enrichment) formation at temperatures above 1100F, unless highly allowed with aluminum ( titanium aluminides). Unfortunately the titanium aluminides possess very low ductility/toughness and are not weld friendly. I think one would be cutting it pretty close temperature wise using typical titanium alloys, considering what I just mentioned. Alpha case is a thin, hard, brittle layer that imparts a significant fatigue debit to titanium. Also welding titanium and not doing a subsequent stress relief ( need at least 1000F/2 hours ) makes the welds susceptible to stress corrosion cracking.

Sure titanium would save weight and is very corrosion resistant is general, but in my opinion is not worth the cost and potential issues later on. As far as exhausts, that is a different story based on operational temperatures.

I would be interested in equal length stainless headers, though, or even better ( but much more $$) nickel based alloy (like IN625) headers.