Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 10:06 PM
thatnewguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edited

Edited.
10 characters

Last edited by thatnewguy; 11-20-13 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-09-13, 12:15 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

A gift from the officer indeed. Definitely gotta watch out, but it's nice that some cops still give warnings and acknowledge that it's probably a car that will let loose once in a while. My buddy got pulled over for 60 in a 40, but the cop wanted to get as much onto the ticket as possible, so he searched around the car looking for extra stuff to tack on. You got lucky with that cop.
Old 02-09-13, 01:40 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lucky man! Where abouts in VA? It seems no one drives the speed limit here. I was on 495 the other day and people were passing the cop who of course was not going the speed limit but he did not pull anyone over? Everyone was averaging 70 in a 50.
Old 02-09-13, 05:38 AM
thatnewguy
Driver

Edit
10 characters

Last edited by thatnewguy; 08-18-13 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-09-13, 08:42 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn VA? I know people who have gotten arrested for breaking the spd limit by a certain speed. Glad he let you go.
Old 02-09-13, 12:52 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Lucky guy you are! VA LEOs are especially hard on speeders. 60 in a 40 if I recall correctly is already reckless driving by definition and would be a more serious offense compared to regular speeding, given that it makes it through to court.

Just recently my dad got pulled over for speeding in Accomack county and got a ticket for going just a tad over the limit. Under an hour later right before going into the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel he got pulled over AGAIN but luckily the cop spared him another ticket. My dad isn't a racer by any means; it was past midnight and the roads were wide-open, or so he thought!
Old 02-09-13, 01:09 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Glad you got off with a warning!
I had a similiar episode the other night about a week ago I was on a highway with PSL of 70.... I passed a (blacked out cruiser) going a little over 100mph that I didn't even notice was a LEO..... until I saw flashing lights in my RVM just after passing him.... He was real cool and said my car sounded nice and was pretty sweet.... asked me about what I had done to it... Let me off as my license plate is "CODE BLU" and he used to be a paramedic and his mom/aunt are nurses... SWEET! Just told me to "slow down a bit" LOL
However... I wasn't so lucky a few hours later heading home on the same highway when I got clocked at 107 by instant on radar by a small town LEO heading the opposite direction. The median had a wire fence for several miles and so I sped back up to 100 to put some distance between him and I as I knew it would be a while before he was able to flip a U.... Unfortunately about 4-5 min later I see flashing lights WAY behind me... I sped up to 130 and took the next exit... trying to ditch him... he saw me take it however and was not so lenient.. $400 ticket and I'm gonna HAVE to pay double so I don't lose my insurance... What sucks is if I had of played it smarter I could have gotten off... I should have sped up to 130-140 when I got hit with radar and taken the first exit and hid out for 10-15 min... well you live and you learn I guess... LOL! Well it was a good run anyway... little over 2 years in my F driving well over the speed limit at almost all times... (usually 50-100% over the PSL .... LOL) Have had many saves with my setup, but instant on radar got me this time..
Old 02-09-13, 02:52 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

Definitley lucky man...I have yet to be let off.

I've been pulled over three times but have been written way under what I was going because the cops were cool. I could've gotten my car impounded each time...I was doing well over 100 every time. But I was written up where I could do traffic school each time, so it was cool but still had to pay ~ $400 each time
Old 02-09-13, 08:52 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
Glad you got off with a warning!
I had a similiar episode the other night about a week ago I was on a highway with PSL of 70.... I passed a (blacked out cruiser) going a little over 100mph that I didn't even notice was a LEO..... until I saw flashing lights in my RVM just after passing him.... He was real cool and said my car sounded nice and was pretty sweet.... asked me about what I had done to it... Let me off as my license plate is "CODE BLU" and he used to be a paramedic and his mom/aunt are nurses... SWEET! Just told me to "slow down a bit" LOL
However... I wasn't so lucky a few hours later heading home on the same highway when I got clocked at 107 by instant on radar by a small town LEO heading the opposite direction. The median had a wire fence for several miles and so I sped back up to 100 to put some distance between him and I as I knew it would be a while before he was able to flip a U.... Unfortunately about 4-5 min later I see flashing lights WAY behind me... I sped up to 130 and took the next exit... trying to ditch him... he saw me take it however and was not so lenient.. $400 ticket and I'm gonna HAVE to pay double so I don't lose my insurance... What sucks is if I had of played it smarter I could have gotten off... I should have sped up to 130-140 when I got hit with radar and taken the first exit and hid out for 10-15 min... well you live and you learn I guess... LOL! Well it was a good run anyway... little over 2 years in my F driving well over the speed limit at almost all times... (usually 50-100% over the PSL .... LOL) Have had many saves with my setup, but instant on radar got me this time..
I've done this before. It was one of the most exhilarating things I've ever done in my life, and you can always come up with the convenient excuse that you didn't know the lights/sirens were meant for you because the cop was technically driving in the opposite direction.

I sped up to about 110 (IS350) and was able to hide out in a neighborhood off this freeway before the cop was able to successfully take the U-turn and catch up to me.

Edit: P.S. I'm in medical school as well (I assume you're an ER physician based on your username )
Old 02-09-13, 10:23 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dmvp29
I've done this before. It was one of the most exhilarating things I've ever done in my life, and you can always come up with the convenient excuse that you didn't know the lights/sirens were meant for you because the cop was technically driving in the opposite direction.

I sped up to about 110 (IS350) and was able to hide out in a neighborhood off this freeway before the cop was able to successfully take the U-turn and catch up to me.

Edit: P.S. I'm in medical school as well (I assume you're an ER physician based on your username )
yeah I totally should have done that... well, next time...
Yep I'm an ER Doc.... what year in medschool?
Old 02-09-13, 10:34 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
yeah I totally should have done that... well, next time...
Yep I'm an ER Doc.... what year in medschool?
MS2. I begin my trek into the wonderful world of USMLE (step 1) this summer. First Aid/Goljan/"baby" Robbins (for review). I wanted to start on path early since it's emphasized to such a large extent on the USMLE. It's been tough but I'm loving every minute of it.

How's life on the other side (as a full-fledged ER physician)? Would you recommend EM to up and coming physicians?

EM's been an increasingly popular choice for residency among students these days (or so it seems, at least at my school). R/O/A/D still takes the cake, but EM seems to strike a nice work-life balance, in addition to being professionally fulfilling to those who are in it because they enjoy it, of course.
Old 02-10-13, 10:59 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thatnewguy
Just over a week since I bought it and I got pulled tonight. My wife and one of our friends went to a movie and leaving we were beside a second gen is250. I don't know why but I decided to make my left out of the theater and kick it. The other lexus went the opposite direction, so I guess it was just to have some fun. From the light I turned left at to the right hand exit I took was less than 1/4 mile, but I knew I was going fast.

We were just talking and I saw lights in my mirror about a mile or so from the point I took my exit. I had my license and temp registration ready handed it to him before he asked and told him I had a permit and was carrying. He said that was fine and asked if I knew how fast I was going back there. I hesitated because I wasn't sure where he clocked me. I just said no and then he said he got me going at least 60 before I started slowing down to take the exit. I didn't disagree because I was well aware that was likely, but I never looked at the speedometer. It was a 40 zone.

He came back and said that normally he would write it but was going to let me off since I was straight forward with him about everything. After he handed me my license he said "it's a really nice car man, just slow down a little."

Anyway... I am glad my first pull in the F was a warning. The wife said I'm the luckiest bastard in the world bc he honestly had no reason to let me off with a warning. Just wanted to share and hear similar stories.
This would definitely not happen in CA and in fact they would probably pull you out for DUI testing
Old 02-10-13, 12:42 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Lucky! Here in Ga 15 over is considered a "super speeder" and adds extra points to your license and an extra $250 fine in addition to whatever the tickets going to cost you.
Old 02-10-13, 01:46 PM
mush
Pole Position

same thing happen to me. never got pulled over before... 2 weeks after i got my car i got pulled over going 43 in a 30 zone, he let me off with a warning "just slow down"
Old 02-10-13, 05:00 PM
firzen
Driver School Candidate

The highest here allowed is 90km/h during the winter and they raise it to 100km/h during the summer on the bigger highways, 56mph and 62mph respectively.

My first one was on the 1st of January this year, driving back home from another city after new years eve, an Audi A5 was driving extremely close behind me for about a minute or two until he decided to pass me, for some reason he slowed down and looked inside the car - at that point i just couldn't resist and floored it up to 190km/h or so (~120mph) until i saw a police car and braked. I was in the second lane with cars in the first so they didn't get me right at the start luckily. I didn't see the lights go on when i passed them so i decided to speed up a little, take the first exit and explore the backroads. Doing that i saw them going on the highway from the rear mirror. Unfortunately when i was exploring new roads they came straight at me, passed me, turned around and pulled me over. They clocked me at 120km/h (~75mph), i was very upfront, polite and eventually they asked me how big of a ticket i want (the range was €120 - €400), i said €280 sounds fair and the officer asked me if i'd be alright with it if she'd split that in half. So i took the obvious choice and said yes .

And yes, it was also one of the most exhilarating things i've ever done as it was for dmvp29!

Quick Reply: Got my first WARNING for 60 in a 40!