IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Losing coolant ever so slightly.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 11:42 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
not sure I believe said 800-1500 but it was covered.
Maybe there is some sort of DIY to fix the problem since it seems like all they do is reseal the gasket
Old 12-27-15, 01:27 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes there is a post in the first few pages regarding the diy I still believe some money will need to be spent to replace gaskets, seals, coolant, etc but should a lot less than what the dealer charges.

How bad is your leak? Mine never got lower than right below the low mark on the resevoir. The only time it would like out is when more was added to top off to the high mark.

I also believe some users are holding off on the job as well. I thought about holding off but since it was under warranty etc why not.. Plus it'll be a lot easier to look out for a leaky water pump now as I have read those seems to leak prematurely as well.
Old 12-28-15, 03:26 AM
Isf2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
Yes there is a post in the first few pages regarding the diy I still believe some money will need to be spent to replace gaskets, seals, coolant, etc but should a lot less than what the dealer charges.

How bad is your leak? Mine never got lower than right below the low mark on the resevoir. The only time it would like out is when more was added to top off to the high mark.

I also believe some users are holding off on the job as well. I thought about holding off but since it was under warranty etc why not.. Plus it'll be a lot easier to look out for a leaky water pump now as I have read those seems to leak prematurely as well.
I've had car for 4 years first time I'm having this problem. The tank is always been on the low side l didn't have heat one day had to give car little gas to make it work But always smell coolant from the front of car. Just got coolant flush 3 weeks ago too really smelled coolant after that

Last edited by Isf2010; 12-28-15 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-28-15, 08:55 AM
k20trick
Instructor

How many miles you have? Have you tried to go to the dealer and ask about price? They might be able to give you a deal since I believe this is a recall? Not sure if it will work, but wont hurt to try?
Old 12-28-15, 12:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

It's not a recall or a LSB, but there have been enough of them documented here to make a pretty credible argument with Lexus to address the issue especially if you are under 100k miles.

Yes, there is a DIY, but it isn't easy and it is common for both amateurs and professionals to break the direct injectors when removing them to access the leaking piece. The injectors are very pricey to replace.
Old 12-28-15, 02:40 PM
k20trick
Instructor

I would try the dealer first regardless and let them know the issue, if they wont warranty sometimes they may even go halfers with you if not you may be on your own or have an independent shop do the work.

The heater in my car always worked, so I guess I just went by the drips found on the tranny casing and had them replace it.
Old 01-07-16, 09:37 AM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So this affects all MY IS-F's?
Old 01-07-16, 09:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by iBoost
So this affects all MY IS-F's?
No. All 2UR engines.
Old 01-08-16, 09:23 AM
bentobob
Driver School Candidate

Default Yet another ISF on recall has this problem

Thank you so much for all the information on this thread.

Just heard about this today after I sent it in for the recall, and it ****** me off that a car marketed with reliability would have such a common problem with no recall. I will be one of those to attempt a DIY. I appreciate the pictures and will post some of my own when I start this. Also purchased a cheap borascope in addition. It should be useful for plenty of other jobs.

I'm in Chattanooga TN, so if anyone knows of deep discounts on dealer parts let me know.

Last edited by bentobob; 01-08-16 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-08-16, 09:42 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

I've been using one of our site sponsors lately, MyLParts because their out the door pricing (watch out for shipping and handling charges with other sites!) using the discount code in the link is pretty unbeatable.

For example - I bought the steering ECU to update the feel on my car (the wife finally says the steering feels good) and all the other sites wanted shipping $60+. MyLParts has a $12 standard shipping on standard items (the exceptions are listed on their site), and with the discount I saved more than $50 over any of the other Lexus sites (usually Trademotion based sites) when it arrived at my door.
Old 01-11-16, 09:34 AM
bentobob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've been using one of our site sponsors lately, MyLParts because their out the door pricing (watch out for shipping and handling charges with other sites!) using the discount code in the link is pretty unbeatable.

For example - I bought the steering ECU to update the feel on my car (the wife finally says the steering feels good) and all the other sites wanted shipping $60+. MyLParts has a $12 standard shipping on standard items (the exceptions are listed on their site), and with the discount I saved more than $50 over any of the other Lexus sites (usually Trademotion based sites) when it arrived at my door.
Thank you Lobuxracer, I appreciate it, and will definitely check this out
Old 03-09-16, 05:22 PM
Aggression
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my 2008 IS F (83k miles) in for the ELF and cooling fan recalls, and my SA sent me photos of leaking engine coolant (see photos). I asked if they did a cooling system pressure test to pinpoint the source of the leak, but they said, "We did not have to pressure test. The leak is from that coolant valley area and the parts needed are some gaskets, o-rings and sealant."

They said it would cost $850 to replace the seals and that it would normally cost almost double that, but there is less labor involved now since they are already addressing the other recalls.

It sucks that there isn't a recall for this since it seems to be a common problem, and I'm out of warranty. I already had the water pump replaced per the TSB.

1) Is $850 a reasonable price to replace the seals? What were you guys quoted for this repair?
2) With the kind of leak shown in the photos, is pressure testing not really needed? I saw others were leaking coolant from the radiator and/or heat exchanger.
Attached Thumbnails Losing coolant ever so slightly.-engine-coolant-leak-1.jpg   Losing coolant ever so slightly.-engine-coolant-leak-2.jpg   Losing coolant ever so slightly.-engine-coolant-leak-3.jpg  
Old 03-09-16, 08:35 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggression

1) Is $850 a reasonable price to replace the seals? What were you guys quoted for this repair?
2) With the kind of leak shown in the photos, is pressure testing not really needed? I saw others were leaking coolant from the radiator and/or heat exchanger.
Mine was done under warranty....the bill back to Lexus Canada was about $2400 for parts and labor. This was for the stand alone repair of just the leaking valley plate...which in the end was just new silicone.

Digger08
Old 03-09-16, 08:39 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aggression
I took my 2008 IS F (83k miles) in for the ELF and cooling fan recalls, and my SA sent me photos of leaking engine coolant (see photos). I asked if they did a cooling system pressure test to pinpoint the source of the leak, but they said, "We did not have to pressure test. The leak is from that coolant valley area and the parts needed are some gaskets, o-rings and sealant."

They said it would cost $850 to replace the seals and that it would normally cost almost double that, but there is less labor involved now since they are already addressing the other recalls.

It sucks that there isn't a recall for this since it seems to be a common problem, and I'm out of warranty. I already had the water pump replaced per the TSB.

I was quoted a little over a grand for the repair its basically silicone sealing the plate, mostly labor intensive. I had roughly 60k and it was good willed under warranty by Lexus granted the car did have 100k ext warranty. So your price is reasonable, but I would ask Lexus to help you out as this is a common problem it seems.
Old 03-10-16, 05:51 AM
hamooduae
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

had same problem here ~
went to one of best garages at dubai_ abudhabi
well labours cost 220$ + the price of silicone used
used silicone for reparing
it have been a year now ...all good

well does the valley plate need to replaced ?.

i guess someone before sent link toyota prefers the silicone

labour in usa n europe i guess is OVer .

Quick Reply: Losing coolant ever so slightly.