IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Modding the F in CA

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 10:59 PM
vmatheboss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding the F in CA

So ive been reading quite a bit on here and i swore to myself i wont mod the F..... but now my hands are itching and i think its about that time..... im from norcal so i have to worry about all that smog stuff..... i asked a few of my buddies who mods the hell out of their cars and they told me the CA law passed with the new testing stuff...NO SNIFFERS for 2000 and above cars..only visual and obd check.... i guess im going all out soon... i was only restricted with borla axleback and a intake tube..... now i want the full setup I/H/E ..... fml.... heres the reading on the bottom:

AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.

Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.

AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.
Old 02-11-13, 04:07 AM
quarius
Pole Position

If this is true then I'll start modding my F as well. This has been the one major thing that has really held me back.
Old 02-11-13, 06:21 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

You're forgetting that the CHP can pull you over, open your hood and check things around. It does not have to be done at the smog station.

It's pretty much a gamble.......
Old 02-11-13, 09:43 AM
vmatheboss
Driver

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
You're forgetting that the CHP can pull you over, open your hood and check things around. It does not have to be done at the smog station.

It's pretty much a gamble.......
yup, this has always been the same, then the next thing after that would be the state ref.... but as long as you are not crazy with the sound and looks, there would not be a reason for them to pull you over...unless if you were caught doing some type of wreckless driving.....im looking for more of a stock appearance with I/E/H that would not be too loud...
Old 02-11-13, 10:54 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by vmatheboss
yup, this has always been the same, then the next thing after that would be the state ref.... but as long as you are not crazy with the sound and looks, there would not be a reason for them to pull you over...unless if you were caught doing some type of wreckless driving.....im looking for more of a stock appearance with I/E/H that would not be too loud...
I/E/H... its really loud, LOL!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-11-13, 10:58 AM
vmatheboss
Driver

Originally Posted by joshhleee
I/E/H... its really loud, LOL!
LOL. yea i might have to cut back on something...its either exhaust or headers....but that will be well thought out later on.... lol
Old 02-11-13, 11:06 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 86 Posts

I've been wondering about this since they're only plugging into the OBD scanner to do the test... I'm assuming if there aren't any codes being thrown from having no cats on the headers/exhaust, it would pass that portion.... probably wouldn't pass visual unless you find a shop that isn't **** about that. Thats the one thing thats stopping me from getting headers.

As for CHP pulling you over, they wouldn't pull you over to pop your hood unless they had a reason, but I tend to think our F hides engine mods pretty well unless you're hard on the throttle. Its not like you have a 10" far can hanging out of the back of the car or a loud *** blow off valve, etc.