IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

might take the plunge on ctsv/e63, save me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 12:25 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
CTS-V will **** on a stock F performance wise. But how is the reliability on this cars?
You know I thought the same thing.....But last Friday while driving home a CTS-V coupe pulled up next to me and we had a few runs.

I figured he'd just fly by but he didn't I was beside him for most of the time.

Even he was surprised and asked me how much HP do I have and if it's modded (mine is bone stock).

So I'm happy with the ISF performance, esp going against a 500+hp coupe and keeping up that's enough satisfaction for me (until I start modding )

I'd say if not the ISF then get the C63 hands down.
Old 02-13-13, 12:41 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting.. I drove a CTS-V recently and that thing totally destroys our car in every gear at any speed. I'm surprised he didn't fly by you because he should. He probably doesn't know how to drive his own car..
Old 02-13-13, 05:14 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Interesting.. I drove a CTS-V recently and that thing totally destroys our car in every gear at any speed. I'm surprised he didn't fly by you because he should. He probably doesn't know how to drive his own car..
Unless it was the older CTS-V with the LS6 motor that has 406hp.
Old 02-13-13, 05:28 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My next car will probably be a CTS-V wagon if/when kids happen.
Old 02-13-13, 07:02 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I was very interested in the cts-v before I knew about the isf. It just took for me to open the door and sit in one to dissuade me from it. Even though it's a beast of a car, it didn't feel as compact as the isf. Everything felt a little loose. You can clearly notice this by opening and closing a door on the cts-v and then doing the same on the isf.
Old 02-13-13, 07:57 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well heck if you can swap cars with your bro whenever you please, what's the point of getting another ISF? Go with AMG
Old 02-13-13, 09:08 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, I agree... out of those three cars I'd have taken the ISF for sure, but if someone in my household already had an ISF, and it was someone that I trusted enough to swap cars with from time to time, there's no way I'd get the same car.

That said, I'd get the CTSV over the E63. I'm not a huge Mercedes fan, and the CTSV has always really intrigued me.
Old 02-13-13, 09:21 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 769 Likes on 664 Posts

My good friend has a 2011 E63 AMG, Lets just say hes been making good friends at the dealership with the service guys and mechanics lmao. That cars nothing but problems, the engine burns oil if you romp on the throttle. Nothing beats reliability of Lexus, but there are a lot of factors on how you drive and how well you maintain the car.

An issue also to think about is resale value, say if you buy the caddy to satisfy your "gotta go fast itch" cadillacs do not hold a good resale, same with the benz. This is coming from someone who hates payments and I only pay cash for my cars. I wouldn't want to own a car a year or two and the price drops like crazy
Old 02-13-13, 09:44 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

one of my mechanic buddies at a high end shop (they see a lot of exotics, etc. bc of where they are located) dissuaded me from getting the CTS-V. said a lot of them coming through already have issues w/ the suspension components going out/having problems. he also told me how many of the AMG owners complained about all of the reliability issues and told me never to buy a used one. i still secretly want either one of those cars in the future, tho. haha
Old 02-13-13, 10:20 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
You know I thought the same thing.....But last Friday while driving home a CTS-V coupe pulled up next to me and we had a few runs.

I figured he'd just fly by but he didn't I was beside him for most of the time.

Even he was surprised and asked me how much HP do I have and if it's modded (mine is bone stock).

So I'm happy with the ISF performance, esp going against a 500+hp coupe and keeping up that's enough satisfaction for me (until I start modding )

I'd say if not the ISF then get the C63 hands down.
You probably know how to drive your car. Nothing like the driver mod. Or maybe your F is a factory freak producing 500 HPs..lol.
Old 02-13-13, 11:00 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
You probably know how to drive your car. Nothing like the driver mod. Or maybe your F is a factory freak producing 500 HPs..lol.
I think the biggest thing is that our transmissions shift fast and hard every single time. If the CTS-V was a manual then it def could have been driver issues. I too played with a new CTS-V. I lost, but not to a degree that his 500+ HP should have done.
Old 02-13-13, 01:22 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bluerex

the last few months, i was able to take over my buddies car payments (think of it as a short term lease) on a e63, 2008. before getting the ls430, i was thinking about an e55, but stuck with Lexus due to reliability.
Good move there. You can make the E55 a monster (I've ridden in one such car) but the reliability id questionable.

I heard the CTS-V had some LSD recall, the C63 had a class action lawsuit regarding the 6.3L blowing up. (I've driven a C63 and I liked the performance)

The ISF seems to be the most reliable of the bunch, surely you can get sick or tired or bored with it, but I've seen people switch to something else and seeing how un-reliable it is, and then come back to what they had before.

I would keep the ISF if I were you, but that's just my suggestion.
Old 02-13-13, 06:05 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do some research and you will see a history of differential problems.

The latest: differential hot, reduce speed.

There are also annoying skip shifts that occur in traffic.

Run...to the F.
Old 02-13-13, 08:26 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the comments and suggestions...from what it sounds like...many here are ctsv likers (lovers a strong word).

and yes my brother and i share/swap everything except our girls.

shoes, watches, cars, money, clothes..you name it...so it wouldnt any fun for him and i if i were going with the isf...maybe i can drag this out until the new isf or gsf comes out.....or.......keep the ls430 and 2jzgte....but i dont get all the gizmos and gadgets...decisions decisions...
Old 02-13-13, 08:28 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if and when i do get a ctsv...id' be happy to take some of you for a ride...

Quick Reply: might take the plunge on ctsv/e63, save me!