IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

might take the plunge on ctsv/e63, save me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 03:29 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default might take the plunge on ctsv/e63, save me!

All joking aside..ive been driving lexus for the past ten yers and now i'm really considering a cts-v.

a little background:

started with a 2002 wrx, modded the **** Out of it..

then started the lexus(es)?:

1998 ls400
1998 gs400
1999 gs300
2004 LS430.

the last few months, i was able to take over my buddies car payments (think of it as a short term lease) on a e63, 2008. before getting the ls430, i was thinking about an e55, but stuck with Lexus due to reliability.

now i have the power bug. there is no way i can wait for the gsf..and then theres the ISF.

I test drove the car and thought the power was sufficient, albeit a tad lacking, but sufficient none the less. i am not the biggest guy, but 5'10, 185, so i'm not tiny. i felt the ISF a tad small, esp coming from gs and LS. i had to wiggle my hand in order to grab things out of the door sills. then theres the fifth seat delete. driver and passenger cannot both use the "elbow" rest on the center console. The sound in the car is intoxicating...second to maybe the AMG. lack of lsd in 2009 isnt a deal breaker..i honestly dont think it would make me any better of a driver. the ML sound system is worlds better than my ML in the 2004 LS.

styling: i love the way the isf looks. i dont care if the quad exhaust are "fake", the car is bad *** looking. some think its over the top..i think its perfect. the same ppl who say its over the top are the very same ones that buys body kits for their m3 and c63s.

well last week, my brother, who lives with me...comes home with a 2009 IS-F in white/black interior.

i feel it silly to have two of the same cars in the household. plus it gives my brother and I a chance to swap cars every now and then.

now i plan on purchasing my car thru carmax with their warrantee. anyone that knows anything about warrantees knows that carmax offers some of the best warrantees out there.

so that takes care of the reliability issues of the cts and amgs.

so i'm really leaning towards a cts-v. has anyone here gone from ctsv to isf or isf to cts v? care to shine some light and leave comments? i know this is a lexus forum but id love to hear what ppl on this forum have to say. afterall, this place has been home to me for the last ten years.

thanks
Old 02-12-13, 03:58 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent several days with a CTS-V when I was considering which car to buy. I narrowed it down to pre-owned IS-F, CTS-V and C63 AMG. I quickly ruled out the AMG cause after reading the C63 forum and seeing how many problems new ones had I could only imagine how bad a 4 yr old car could be. As far as Carmax offering a warranty on a used AMG I bet it is ungodly expensive. I loved the CTS-V but the sedan just doesn't do it for me style wise. The coupe is beautiful but I needed a 4 door car. I had never seen an F in person but when I finally did at my Lexus dealer I was hooked right away. I think all 3 cars are great but the F was the one for me. Only problem I have is people always think it is an F Sport badged regular IS and it takes awhile to explain the car to them. I usually just take them for a ride and step on gas and listen to them say "Holy s--t!"
Old 02-12-13, 04:06 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Get the LSA CTS-V with Manual Trans. The IS-F is not really the car to mod.

With the LSA motor, the aftermarket is nuts.

Modified LSx motors are very fun I have had multiple.

I am at a point where I wanted quality and reliability in my daily driven car.

Next fun car will be 'Vette or Porsche
Old 02-12-13, 04:09 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which V are you looking at? The NA one or the Supercharged one? I think the V's are nice and they can make strong power out of the S/C one. I love my F though. I think some of the AMGs and Blacks look bad ***, but having friends with MB's I just see way to many dumb problems. My mom had her air suspension go out like 7 times on her E500.
Old 02-12-13, 04:10 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

The loyalty will continues , ISF sir u will thanks me later , but if u get e63 we are rival lolz , let get it on lolz

Last edited by ISF4life; 02-12-13 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 04:29 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you could swing a brand new e63 I would say DO IT. But if you can't get the twin turbo v8 just get the isf and be So happy like all of us
Old 02-12-13, 04:41 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I would choose the E63. The newer styling doesn't do anything for me, but when I was shopping for a new ride in '08, the W211 was superb for me. I just couldn't justify the added expenses at the time. The CTS-V isn't really in the same competition market as the IS F; I think it would suit more for M5, E63 segment. The LSx are crazy to mess with, and they certainly do make quite a bit of horsepower and added exhilaration whether in the driver or passenger seat. The look of the V simply doesn't do it for me, but if you like modding extensively, then I would suggest the Caddy over the Benz. In my honest opinion, for a classy setup with a plethora of power and torque, the E63 is great--presuming you don't keep it for longer than the term of the warranty.

But your brother was right to choose an F as a no-nonsense ride. Great power and even more luxurious than the V or AMG without the hassles of it being unreliable.
Old 02-12-13, 04:42 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

not going to save you...just get an e63 AMG. I'm sort of considering the same...
Old 02-12-13, 07:32 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

thanks for all the replies guys. and great ppl and forum like this makes me want to stick with the lex-o (what i've called my cars). most of the guys over mbworld are snobs. ( not all).

i cannot justify buying an ISF and having two in the household. Plus i would only want a white car.

I had the E63 for about 4 months and had fun beating the crap out of it. the motor and tranny just seem to keep on taking it. the car was very awesomely boring, if that make sense. it was easy to get consistant acceleration and launch, albeit its lacking LC. Even with its traditional auto tranny, i felt the shift was adequate, definitely not as fast as the ISF. One thing that was odd..the rear was emitting warm air...very strange. rear as in rear seat area. other things that bugged me were we put too much quarters in the change slot and jammed it..not mb fault..still annoying non the less. the fog lights are finicky. sometimes the left headlight would go out. and limited mod options (isf owners are used to that). But once you stomp on the gas pedal..you quickly forget the small ****.

on to the CTS-v, i would be getting a 2009-2010 for cost reasons. must have options for me would be automatic, pano roof, sedan, recaro seats.
i have yet to drive the car, but if its anything like i have read and envisioned, the car is coming home with me.

Trust me guys..the warrantee packages avail thru carmax may surprise you. we got a 150k, 6 yr full warrantee minus wear and tear for 2300.
Old 02-12-13, 07:33 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

i really really really really really wanted an ISF...dammit
Old 02-12-13, 07:33 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

love the CTSV sedan
Old 02-12-13, 08:29 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the IS-F.
Old 02-12-13, 08:40 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

CTS-V will **** on a stock F performance wise. But how is the reliability on this cars?
Old 02-12-13, 09:08 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are pleading to be saved, I think deep down you already know your answer.
Old 02-12-13, 09:55 PM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I may be the only person in America who has an IS F just like his brother. For him to introduce me to such a great car and for me to agree by buying one is, in my opinion, the highest form of brotherlyhood.

Quick Reply: might take the plunge on ctsv/e63, save me!