IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Good bye fellas. :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 10:20 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm actually a little sentimental over the F. It's been a long time since I've been actually attached to a car. It really is a bittersweet feeling (and a whole lot of buyers remorse) but I'm 39 - I guess I'm either at or near my midlife crisis? Or do I get another midlife crisis at 45 and then one at 50? I always wanted to enjoy a proper sports car in my 30s. I've had an IS350 since Oct 2005 and traded for an F in 2008 and I guess it's just time for a change.

The F is truly a awesome sports sedan and I feel fortunate that I have been able to enjoy it for a full five years. It's been rock solid in reliability and performance and I really will miss having it in my garage. I considered keeping both - but costs and space just won't allow me to do that. I also don't want a garage queen. We once had a fire (2004) and after a total loss, you no longer try to keep stuff you don't need anymore - the reason I don't have the stock parts anymore... and I was planning on keeping the F for another 5 years.
Old 02-12-13, 10:52 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we can all agree that the F is a special car. It's very reliable and super easy to maintain on top of looking great AND being a beastly sleeper. It's the perfect package!

Hopefully you will be able to hang on to the 997 for a while. Who knows, after your 3rd mid-life crisis you might find yourself driving an Aventador or a Veyron!

You are always welcome back here even if you have a Porsche. This isn't a good bye, but a see you later.
Old 02-12-13, 11:36 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

congrats, waiting for pics
Old 02-13-13, 08:03 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have your factory suspension il take this BC off tour hand to help you get a little more money out of the deal
Old 02-13-13, 08:08 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
With 0-60 numbers under 3.0 seconds, I have NO DESIRE to mod. I just don't need anymore power. The thing was clawing for traction up to 60 mph with awd!!! It has the carbon ceramic brakes too and centerlock forged alloy rims. I don't even want to "tune" it. Keep it stock - factory warrantee for another 2 years!
Don't be sad...you're making an excellent decision!

Personally, I would buy a GT3 RS...even though less power, it's more "raw" of a car. But I'm sure you needed/wanted the AWD so Turbo S is the way to go.

Get ready for $10,000 brake jobs if you keep those carbon ceramic brakes. If I'm not mistaken, it's about $4500 per brake rotor.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-14-13 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 08:14 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

I considered the GT-R, but honestly, the GT-R next to my IS-F looks like a down grade..
Trust me, not even close......I do own both cars.

That said, enjoy the Turbo!
Old 02-13-13, 08:15 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Its a car guys purpose to experience as many types of vehicles as possible! Though admitedly an econobox with too much power, my last car was AWD with as much power as a 997 Turbo. You simply can't beat a perfect AWD launch. Its a thing of beauty.

Have fun, post pics.
Old 02-13-13, 08:21 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Props on the 911 I would switch up to that too if I didn't just buy my first house
Old 02-13-13, 08:56 AM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Given your screen name I'm going to take a gigantic leap in logic and assume you're a dentist or oral surgeon. At 39, you're still young, but you've got some years of experience under your belt as well. I'm a few years younger than you, but in somewhat of a similar situation. I am also a proponent of enjoying "nice" cars while you're still young enough to really enjoy them. Cars like the ISF and Turbo S are meant to be put through their paces from time to time, and most (not all, but most) guys in their later years aren't going to have as much interest tinkering around with cars and driving them hard.

The 911 Turbo and the GT3 are two of my dream cars. If it were financially possible, and feasible from a family standpoint (I have two young kids still in carseats), I'd trade out of my ISF for one of those two cars in a heartbeat. No regrets, no remorse. But I'm not in that position right now, so I'll enjoy the ISF. I think it is also very cool that you're planning on DD'ing the Porsche. I used to lurk the 6speedonline forums, and you'll find a lot of the P-car guys daily their cars. It really is the supercar that you can drive everyday. It even gets decent gas mileage. I think you're making a heck of an upgrade, and in a few years when I hit 39, perhaps I might find myself in a similar position!
Old 02-13-13, 09:08 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

I also don't want a garage queen. We once had a fire (2004) and after a total loss, you no longer try to keep stuff you don't need anymore -

I like this rational. Awesome that youre DD'n the Turbo S! What color? If I see you around town, I'll give you a honk.
Old 02-13-13, 09:36 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats man. This is a similar path I would like to take in the future....looking fwd to pics. I would have also daily driven the F if it was AWD
Old 02-13-13, 09:57 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It is with deepest regrets that I say goodbye to my fellow IS-F brothers. It isn't official yet, but it's definitely going to happen. I'm unloading my IS-F (2008, Obsidian with PPE black ceramic headers, FIGS 2 pc rotors, Borla SS catback exhaust, brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and BC coilovers with swift springs). I'm trading it in for a measly 33,000 (unless somebody wants to offer more). I'm keeping the 18" Volks with brand new PA4 winter tires on it (with TPMS sensors) in case anybody wants to give me an offer. It'll be up for sale in the next couple of weeks at the dealership and if you guys want more details, you can PM me.

So, what am I getting? 997 Turbo S... Took it for a test drive today and I had a ***** eating grin from ear to ear (like when I first got into the F 5 years ago). I'll post pictures after I get back from vacation with my new ride. I'M NOT GOING TO MOD!! I JUST spent 6K a few months ago just to sell it. What an idiot I am.
I'll give you $33,100.
I'd offer more, but I recently found out my wife and I are having our first child in September!
Old 02-13-13, 11:20 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Damn! Somebody should BUY that car off you. You should easiliy pull 36 to 37k private party.

Enjoy the car, post pics!! I bet we see you again.
Old 02-13-13, 11:21 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the support - it's still a painful decision. IS-F was IMO such a perfect car. Didn't mean any disrespect for the GT-R - I almost got that also a couple of years ago but side by side, I actually thought COSMETICALLY, the F was more sophisticated.

33,100 sounds good - but since i'm trading it in, I'm getting the tax deduction so it'll have to be 8% more than 33,000 so something like 36K makes it roughly equivalent.

I looked at the PCCB brakes and after 7K miles, there appears to be almost NO wear???!!! I think I'll be able to go 40-50K miles before I need to change them.

I really wanted AWD. My F is as fast as a GT3 RS from 0-60 (it's all traction limited) and since I really don't speed, I don't need more than 530 hp. The torque is 500+ at 2000 rpm. That's what I really noticed about the Turbo S. My F starts to really pull at 4,000 rpm.

Once I get back from fishing (going to Abacos), I'll post up some pictures of the car.
Old 02-13-13, 12:08 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

997 turbo s is a beautiful replacement.

best of luck on the P car,

hoping you part out!! ha ha

Quick Reply: Good bye fellas. :(