IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wheel gap and offset question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 02:08 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Wheel gap and offset question

So I'll be switching to summer tires in a few weeks and I will also be putting on15mm spacers (I actually love the OEM wheels) and I'm on the fence about dropping the car a bit lower.
The front gap is the one that still kind of bothers me, however, I can't tell if the gap looks bigger than it actually is because of how far sunken in the front wheels are in the massive fenders of the F.
My hypothesis is that when the wheels are pushed out more (15mm) the gap will be not as noticable.
Right now the gap is the width of one about finger, but for some reason it just looks much bigger in certain angles.
But if I do have to lower, then I would have to either rake the front (not a huge fan of the look) or drop the front and rear .25 inches which will make the rears look really tucked.

Any opinions?

I guess in the end I can always drop the front 1/8 of an inch, that shouldn't really create too much of a rake.

Still I'd rather not lower it.

here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails Wheel gap and offset question-image-2-.jpeg   Wheel gap and offset question-img_0530.jpg   Wheel gap and offset question-img_0529.jpg  

Last edited by TheHighLow; 02-28-13 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-28-13, 02:42 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your really worry, then I suggest you get the spacers put on first and then decide if your front is low enough. If it is not, you can then purchase springs.

However, I am certain you will love the front if you just get some swift springs upfront. Its a mild drop upfront and makes the IS-F look much nicer IMO; but then again i actually like the rake look. A few members have lower their car with only front springs and it looks quite nice
Old 02-28-13, 02:52 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edgeucated
If your really worry, then I suggest you get the spacers put on first and then decide if your front is low enough. If it is not, you can then purchase springs.

However, I am certain you will love the front if you just get some swift springs upfront. Its a mild drop upfront and makes the IS-F look much nicer IMO; but then again i actually like the rake look. A few members have lower their car with only front springs and it looks quite nice

im already lowered on KW V3's, i'm pretty sure that its lower than OEM
Old 02-28-13, 03:03 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Since you already have coilovers, I'd go ahead and drop it another 1/8th or 1/4th of an inch in the front rather than run spacers. I know that many, many people run spacers effectively, but if it can be avoided, I think it should. You want to make sure your lugnuts contact as many threads as possible, and unless you're also going to run extended studs, you can't be too sure of that happening with spacers. Also, it just is adding another part to your car where something can break, crack or fail.

Again, you've got the KWV3s. Just adjust ride height until you like the stance. That's one of the benefits of having those coilovers.
Old 02-28-13, 03:06 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vbb
Since you already have coilovers, I'd go ahead and drop it another 1/8th or 1/4th of an inch in the front rather than run spacers. I know that many, many people run spacers effectively, but if it can be avoided, I think it should. You want to make sure your lugnuts contact as many threads as possible, and unless you're also going to run extended studs, you can't be too sure of that happening with spacers. Also, it just is adding another part to your car where something can break, crack or fail.

Again, you've got the KWV3s. Just adjust ride height until you like the stance. That's one of the benefits of having those coilovers.
Ya, i think i'll drop it 1/8 more in the front, and my spacers are H&R with extended lugs. I've had good luck with spacers on several cars, including a fully built Wrangler that I wheeled all the time.
I think the lower you go with OEM offsets, the more hallow the front will look.
Old 02-28-13, 04:22 PM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Anyone know why the F has such a big wheel gap up front compared to the rear in stock form?

If you want to lower the F so that the gaps are equal front and back, the car will have a rake look.

Handling wise, does lower front than back make the car understeer more at the track?
Old 03-29-13, 01:46 AM
LOLM3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StraySheep
Anyone know why the F has such a big wheel gap up front compared to the rear in stock form?

If you want to lower the F so that the gaps are equal front and back, the car will have a rake look.

Handling wise, does lower front than back make the car understeer more at the track?
It's because the rear wheel arch sits lower than the front which is why the front looks higher. Just like my friends e36
Old 03-29-13, 12:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by StraySheep

Originally Posted by LOLM3
It's because the rear wheel arch sits lower than the front which is why the front looks higher. Just like my friends e36
This is actually a subject of a minor debate. Flipside909 posted Lexus raised the front between pre-production and production to clear parking stops shortly after the car was released. He would not post what the exact number was.

It's very possible the suspension design would prefer a 10mm drop for optimum camber curves and instant centers, but without fully modeling the front suspension, it's hard to say what ride height gives the most mechanical grip. So, it would seem the reason the front looks odd is because Lexus didn't want owners to be smashing the bumper cover into parking stops, not to enhance understeer.
Old 03-29-13, 01:48 PM
LOLM3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is actually a subject of a minor debate. Flipside909 posted Lexus raised the front between pre-production and production to clear parking stops shortly after the car was released. He would not post what the exact number was.

It's very possible the suspension design would prefer a 10mm drop for optimum camber curves and instant centers, but without fully modeling the front suspension, it's hard to say what ride height gives the most mechanical grip. So, it would seem the reason the front looks odd is because Lexus didn't want owners to be smashing the bumper cover into parking stops, not to enhance understeer.

You know, that would actually makes sense