IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Valentine One V1 Remote Mount in Ashtray

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 09:21 AM
streetspee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valentine One V1 Remote Mount in Ashtray

Spent a few hours shaping the inside of the ash tray to fit the Valentine One V1 remote mount and wiring it up. Opening it up and turning on the car makes me feel like I'm James Bond on the starship Enterprise and the mute button is comfortably within effortless reach.

I wouldnt't have bothered with the remote display, but it was a freebie from a friend, so I was forced to find a location.

Required burning & shaving the inside of the ashtray to widen the gap between two vertical protrusions in there, and also dremeling out a channel on the outside of the ashtray so that the V1 cable can glide smoothly between the ashtray and cig lighter assembly.

Old 03-05-13, 09:50 AM
vmatheboss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good, but can you really see the alerts while driving and not trying to look for it? thats why i didnt install mine..i had it on my old car and never used it for the F....i couldnt find a good area for me to look eye level
Old 03-05-13, 03:34 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vmatheboss
looks good, but can you really see the alerts while driving and not trying to look for it? thats why i didnt install mine..i had it on my old car and never used it for the F....i couldnt find a good area for me to look eye level
EXACTLY!

When you are going fast, the last place your eyes should be is looking down at your ashtray man, you need to put the display near your line of sight which means upper windshield or rear view mirror area.
Old 03-05-13, 11:46 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Unique placement of the part. Nice and accessible at an arm's length. I installed the Beat Sonic controls for the navigation override in place of the ashtray. BTW, how does your ashtray slide out so quickly? Mine seems to take it's sweet time opening and closing.
Old 03-06-13, 12:18 AM
vmatheboss
Driver

Originally Posted by s4play
EXACTLY!

When you are going fast, the last place your eyes should be is looking down at your ashtray man, you need to put the display near your line of sight which means upper windshield or rear view mirror area.

lol i barely even wanna look at it from my windshield! luckily ive had the v1 for so many years ive memorized all the different chirp sounds. i glance up only when i hear the KA band go off to see if its behind or in front of me
Old 03-06-13, 12:33 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

you all realize this is just the remote right? the RD itself is mounted where its suppose to be.
Old 03-06-13, 12:40 AM
vmatheboss
Driver

remote ...isnt that the concealed display..... if its plugged in..the RD itself will not function...only the noise will come out...the bands and arrows will light up on the concealed display which is what that "remote" is
Old 03-06-13, 08:28 AM
streetspee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Unique placement of the part. Nice and accessible at an arm's length. I installed the Beat Sonic controls for the navigation override in place of the ashtray. BTW, how does your ashtray slide out so quickly? Mine seems to take it's sweet time opening and closing.
The little gears have a nice layer of lithium grease on there - apply with a cue tip or something and you should see an improvement in its smooth operation. The key with running wires nicely from Beat Sonic or V1 remote is def IMO dremel-ing out a little channel on the outside of the ashtray for the cable(s) to run and not rub/snag on anything.
Old 03-06-13, 08:39 AM
streetspee
Driver School Candidate

EXACTLY!

I didn't like reaching up to the rearview-mirror-mounted-Valentine-1 to silence bands, its soooo uncomfortable and its one of the worst of my first world problems ... right after my butler whining about health insurance all the time, or when my VIP table at the Oscars wobbles, or my LearJet 85 pilot wears his tie crooked.

I am very tall, and drive the F with the seat very far back, and so the ashtray mount, when it is in its uppermost position, is very clearly within my peripheral vision so it works for me and makes me feel like I'm starting up KITT

The remote display was a freebie, so I just wanted to put it somewhere within reach and not too obtrusive
Old 03-06-13, 11:31 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Looks pretty slick to me, I like it.

Are you guys saying the rearview mirror mount isn't what you would look at when you hear a chirp? Doesn't that have the arrows and such when the alerts go off? Or do you have to look at the thing in the ashtray?
Old 03-06-13, 01:36 PM
streetspee
Driver School Candidate

the thing in the ashtray disables the lights on the thing on the rear view mirror, but still utilizes the sensors on the actual detector

the noise comes from the mirror, the lights and display comes from the ash tray, and the stupid comments come from the driver
Old 03-06-13, 02:40 PM
FastPaced
Rookie

Pretty cool man. This is where I put my remote for my 9500
Old 03-06-13, 06:11 PM
vmatheboss
Driver

EXACTLY!

Originally Posted by anxiouz
Looks pretty slick to me, I like it.

Are you guys saying the rearview mirror mount isn't what you would look at when you hear a chirp? Doesn't that have the arrows and such when the alerts go off? Or do you have to look at the thing in the ashtray?
the thing on the windshield is the ACTUAL radar dectector..... once the "thing in the ashtray" is plugged in (called the concealed display), the RD on the windshield will NOT show any displays..... it will ONLY chirp when something is detected.... the displays of the radar info and arrows will now be onto the concealed display which is in the ashtray......

for me, i originally had it mounted on my rear view too, but now its right above me using the clip onto my visor.... so anything goes off i see it while sitting back since im not too tall.... to silence it, i just press the unit itself, not a far reach as compared to digging in the ashtray
Old 03-06-13, 06:24 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The most popular place for the V1 concealed display is near the gauge cluster, some folks were able to integrate a "thin" version into the gauge cluster itself.

The whole point of the concealed display is so others won't see your alerts and ride your tail.

You can also have a police radar unit right on your bumper, hitting you with instant on and they won't see jack. (happened to me a few times)

On the ISF, due to the tilt wheel adjustments, it's a bit tough to find a place for the concealed display near the gauge cluster. I have yet to install mine.

By the way, if you're hardwiring everything, there is no need to splice into the factory wiring anywhere. Make sure you have the V1 junction box, get an add-a-circuit kit from autozone and plug this into the fuse box and a ground source.

You can even take this install 1 step further by installing a kill switch between the junction box and the fuse box. This will allow shutting off the unit without making a whole lot of body movements in case you get stopped. (based on personal experience)
Old 03-06-13, 11:42 PM
vmatheboss
Driver

you get problems from being stopped with a RD? im from cali also, i get pulled over and my RD is still beeping lmao....they dont say anything but to turn it down.

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
The most popular place for the V1 concealed display is near the gauge cluster, some folks were able to integrate a "thin" version into the gauge cluster itself.

The whole point of the concealed display is so others won't see your alerts and ride your tail.

You can also have a police radar unit right on your bumper, hitting you with instant on and they won't see jack. (happened to me a few times)

On the ISF, due to the tilt wheel adjustments, it's a bit tough to find a place for the concealed display near the gauge cluster. I have yet to install mine.

By the way, if you're hardwiring everything, there is no need to splice into the factory wiring anywhere. Make sure you have the V1 junction box, get an add-a-circuit kit from autozone and plug this into the fuse box and a ground source.

You can even take this install 1 step further by installing a kill switch between the junction box and the fuse box. This will allow shutting off the unit without making a whole lot of body movements in case you get stopped. (based on personal experience)

Quick Reply: Valentine One V1 Remote Mount in Ashtray