IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Interested in ECU tune for the ISF ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13 | 03:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

First, no one is going to crack the ECM. There are people in Japan who believe they have access to tune US models with the tools available through SARD. We are still unsure this is real as the encryption keys may have no relationship to the keys used for JDM ECMs.

Yes, the encryption is the problem. tgui, if you can write algorithms for cam timing control from scratch by reverse engineering, I seriously think you are not in the right business and you're making far less money than you could writing ECM software for the OEMs. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you're not going to see that code going over the wire. Ever. Toyota does some very special stuff in their ECM design and part of it includes writing to protected ROM so the code can never be changed. There are accessible portions of the maps, and there are inaccessible portions of the maps. It's just another one of the reasons why no one has cracked Toyota's ECMs, and I've been following this since I bought a Supra in 1994. I've had LOTS of discussions with people in the industry who are also developers (and h4x0rz) and we've all come to the conclusion it can't be done with Toyota's hardware, unless you are granted access.

SARD has obviously made a business case for this. Not sure yet how Toyota will respond if they start tuning US cars, so let's all hope for the best:

1. SARD's tools will work on USDM ECMs.
2. Toyota/Scion/Lexus do not take umbrage and cut SARD off from access to the tools once they start doing this.

Given Toyota's legal department and how ridiculously restrictive they are in the US, it would not surprise me at all if there are more issues to overcome or face as this moves forward. Again, let's all hope for the best. No one would like to see this option come to fruition more than I would.
Old 03-15-13 | 07:55 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
First, no one is going to crack the ECM. There are people in Japan who believe they have access to tune US models with the tools available through SARD. We are still unsure this is real as the encryption keys may have no relationship to the keys used for JDM ECMs.

Yes, the encryption is the problem. tgui, if you can write algorithms for cam timing control from scratch by reverse engineering, I seriously think you are not in the right business and you're making far less money than you could writing ECM software for the OEMs. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you're not going to see that code going over the wire. Ever. Toyota does some very special stuff in their ECM design and part of it includes writing to protected ROM so the code can never be changed. There are accessible portions of the maps, and there are inaccessible portions of the maps. It's just another one of the reasons why no one has cracked Toyota's ECMs, and I've been following this since I bought a Supra in 1994. I've had LOTS of discussions with people in the industry who are also developers (and h4x0rz) and we've all come to the conclusion it can't be done with Toyota's hardware, unless you are granted access.

SARD has obviously made a business case for this. Not sure yet how Toyota will respond if they start tuning US cars, so let's all hope for the best:

1. SARD's tools will work on USDM ECMs.
2. Toyota/Scion/Lexus do not take umbrage and cut SARD off from access to the tools once they start doing this.

Given Toyota's legal department and how ridiculously restrictive they are in the US, it would not surprise me at all if there are more issues to overcome or face as this moves forward. Again, let's all hope for the best. No one would like to see this option come to fruition more than I would.
I have helped people that hacked in speed density fueling into STi ROMs. It was a arduous task of assembly in HEX and mapping instructions to ensure no pipeline stalls. Not impossible, but hell if I'd do something like that on a 65k car without a spare ECU that I can use to get me to work if needed.

FWIW, the people that write the code for ECUs are given easy to use toolkits. Cam timing etc would be a game of heuristics, logging and using tools and SDKs given to build up a releasable ROM. I once poured over Renesas toolkits. The defence and health world will remain my bread and butter.

I haven't had enough coffee to tie this up in a coherent response. Damn.

Suffice to say we agree on all points. If there are in fact good USD results from Sard tuning, I'll try to purchase the needed hardware. If I get that far I'll release any and all code and information needed to make it work. This is all pie in the sky thinking at this point of course.

I'll be watching and waiting.
Old 03-18-13 | 10:45 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

A little update for all of you. I guess I can consider them GOOD NEWS.

First of all, to clear out some of the problem and questions that you guys mentioned.

Stay tune.

Thank you

Nigel

Last edited by Nigel-JDMParts; 03-18-13 at 10:50 AM.
            Old 03-18-13 | 11:02 AM
            ISF4life
            Lexus Test Driver

I know exactly that LHD ISF u r talking about
            Old 03-18-13 | 11:51 AM
            tgui
            Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
            A little update for all of you. I guess I can consider them GOOD NEWS.

First of all, to clear out some of the problem and questions that you guys mentioned.

Stay tune.

Thank you

Nigel
                      Thank you so much for the information!

1) I would like to pay for a good pre-programmed ECU that is more aggressive.

2) I would like to be able to then tune timing/fuel/injectors/knock control. Can I purchase SARD software and tune myself?

3) Can you tell us what limited tables and data the SARD software can change?

Thanks!
                      Old 03-18-13 | 04:26 PM
                      Bigcloud
                      Pole Position

This is all good information. Will a solution he offered for the end user to tune their own cars? Similar to www.uprev.com for the 350z/g35/370z/g37 crowd. Just give me something like that and i will be happy.
                      Old 03-18-13 | 06:30 PM
                      tgui
                      Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
                      This is all good information. Will a solution he offered for the end user to tune their own cars? Similar to www.uprev.com for the 350z/g35/370z/g37 crowd. Just give me something like that and i will be happy.
                      Mother of god that would be perfect...

www.uprev.com
                      Code:
                          Up to 5 Maps on cruise control equipped vehicles
                          Idle RPM
                          Speed Limiter
                          Electronic Throttle Control to achieve Wide Open Throttle at all speeds.
                          Rev Limiter
                          DTC disable
                          AFR Targets
                          Fuel Compensation
                          Ignition Timing Advance
                          Cam Phasing for equipped vehicles.
                          MAF transfer function
                          Cranking Enrichment and Ignition Advance
                          Injector Latency
                          K Fuel Multiplier
                          Intake Temp
                          Calculated Load vs. RPM
                          Minimum Effective Injector Pulse Width
                      Old 03-18-13 | 08:28 PM
                      joedr
                      Rookie

Please PM me when this is final. I own a 2008 ISF.
                      Old 03-18-13 | 11:35 PM
                      gamblez
                      Driver School Candidate

waiting for this... we should start a group buy
                      Old 03-19-13 | 12:04 AM
                      zazzn
                      Instructor

I'd like to see results first... And F a tune for US gas..

I'll use water meth/e85... Give me a tune for that! Imagine the silly amount of timing you can run on e85
                      Old 03-19-13 | 12:50 PM
                      imp0rted1
                      Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts

Stay tune.

Nigel

exciting news!
                      Old 03-19-13 | 11:36 PM
                      lobuxracer
                      Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by zazzn
                      I'd like to see results first... And F a tune for US gas..

I'll use water meth/e85... Give me a tune for that! Imagine the silly amount of timing you can run on e85
                      Timing advance is not a performance increase. Timing should be set based on peak cylinder pressure and nothing else. Advancing timing arbitrarily is foolish, AMHIK.
                      Old 03-20-13 | 01:55 AM
                      zazzn
                      Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
                      Timing advance is not a performance increase. Timing should be set based on peak cylinder pressure and nothing else. Advancing timing arbitrarily is foolish, AMHIK.
                      You are clearly just being an negative Nancy. Foolish is thinking that 91 octane can provide full timing on a high compression engine.

Clearly i'm not talking about putting more timing on cursing speeds but in WOT situations in and after peak torque and even before. The stock timing map can only be so aggressive.

Last edited by zazzn; 03-20-13 at 02:02 AM.
                      Old 03-20-13 | 07:18 AM
                      ming15237
                      Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zazzn
                      You are clearly just being an negative Nancy. Foolish is thinking that 91 octane can provide full timing on a high compression engine.

Clearly i'm not talking about putting more timing on cursing speeds but in WOT situations in and after peak torque and even before. The stock timing map can only be so aggressive.

Oh SNAP!!! Breaking out the "Negative Nancy" card!....lol... That's just his style Zazzn, Lance doesn't mean any harm by it, so don't take it personally, he is just stating what "his" past experiences have been, and to boot I think he may have misunderstood your original statement. For what it's worth to ALL involved, being factual without being biting goes a long way in communication. None the less the Negative Nancy thing was hysterical....
                      Old 03-20-13 | 07:41 AM
                      tgui
                      Pole Position

Originally Posted by ming15237
                      Oh SNAP!!! Breaking out the "Negative Nancy" card!....lol... That's just his style Zazzn, Lance doesn't mean any harm by it, so don't take it personally, he is just stating what "his" past experiences have been, and to boot I think he may have misunderstood your original statement. For what it's worth to ALL involved, being factual without being biting goes a long way in communication. None the less the Negative Nancy thing was hysterical....
                      I prefer Debbie Downer myself.

I wouldn't bother with meth/water/E85 on a NA motor though. Its really hard to tune properly and its effects are too easily made detrimental on NA setups. You're already really close to safe amounts of timing as is. Going too close to TDC just absolutely hammers your bearings because of the torque vectors being accentuated on the bearings. God forbid you retard the flame front so much and run such high timing that you allow for ignition before TDC. (ouch)

The most I would do on my engine is a light water mist in super hot weather on track days just to ensure I'm not knocking at higher RPMs. No tuning needed.

Meth/Water/E85 on a turbo/SC engine is of course a different beast.

Quick Reply: Interested in ECU tune for the ISF ?